BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

I agree with the sentiment, but for the first time in years I've not renewed. I will go to some but I'm not wasting money on meaningless walk-overs. I fear the worst for RL, standards are falling dramatically, at least 50% of the clubs aren't viable and the play-off structure now means you can have a win ratio in the 40-50% area yet still win the competition whilst those who have gone for every game show fatigue towards the end and struggle right at the end. Great game, crap governing body. My prediction is that SL will be a semi-pro comp in the not too distant future.

• 4 weeks later...

First Rugby League fix of the year watching Wigan's mainly 'Youth Meets Fringe Players' get a walloping of Leigh's full strength first string 30-6.

Still enjoyed my afternoon out and what a nice little ground, LSV, better than the new Salford stadium in my opinion.

Entering the car park I was briefly behind a car with Rovers and Wigan RL mini kits in thew rear window...Clare....Koi....?

First Rugby League fix of the year watching Wigan's mainly 'Youth Meets Fringe Players' get a walloping of Leigh's full strength first string 30-6.

Still enjoyed my afternoon out and what a nice little ground, LSV, better than the new Salford stadium in my opinion.

Entering the car park I was briefly behind a car with Rovers and Wigan RL mini kits in thew rear window...Clare....Koi....?

Wasn't me! (and I would've said hello if I'd seen you ;) )

I like LSV too, but rather too big for them me thinks! I think that the most money they make from any team playing there is from Rovers reserves.

Looking forward to new season :)

Edited by cn174

• 1 month later...

Great game last night in front of the season's first 20k plus crowd. Little to choose between the sides and I thought our 'young and inexperienced' pack were immense, matching Warrington's every inch of the way. Looking forward to seeing our new halves partnership develop as well. Roll on next weekend!

Brill performance from Wigan yesterday I thought. Was a bit worried at the end as Briers kept trying drop goals.

Am hoping that the game gets switched to next Saturday so that I can go. I think this will happen if Hudds town beat Leicester on Tuesday.

and in that case it'll be Huddersfield Giants vs Wigan on Saturday then Huddersfield Town vs Latics on Sunday.

More action/skill/pain/determination/speed/handling/excitement in 10 minutes than you will see in the entire six nations.

A good contrast between two teams the opposite ends of the squad life cycle.

Yeah, Rugby Union. What is it for ? The handling and passing is atrocious. If they didn't turn a blind eye to obvious forward passes you'd hardly ever get a try.

International union is top class, league is much better at club level (albeit still dont understand the playoff rules). Enjoy both but its a shame that so few countries play either in sufficient numbers to make them truely world games.

• 2 weeks later...

What's the latest excuse ? Too cold ? Shirt the wrong colour. The England v France game was just the latest bore fest. Can somebody explain to me why as soon as England in particular get they ball the kick it to the opposition ? Much as I'd like to give the Welsh a caning if we play like we've done up to now we'll get dicked.

The England v France game was just the latest bore fest.

Quite agree. Union is so mind numbingly boring I just don't get why folk turn up to watch it. Us League fans call it 'Kick and Clap' (amongst other things) and never has a description been more apt.

My daughter's partner plays 'Yawnion' to a decent standard, so I do try and watch a few of the internationals and also try to be objective about the game for when we have a pint and chat about it. May be when I understand a bit more about both the code and its rules I will like it a bit more.

Shushhhhhh, don't tell anyone I said/typed that! :wub:

Wigan got there in the end this afternoon, winning comfortably 48-18 after being behind in the early stages. Some terrible handling by Wigan though. Bad news also for Lee Mossop who'll be out for 12 weeks after another shoulder dislocation. Injuries mounting up already.

Guest Norbert

Quite agree. Union is so mind numbingly boring I just don't get why folk turn up to watch it. Us League fans call it 'Kick and Clap' (amongst other things) and never has a description been more apt.

My daughter's partner plays 'Yawnion' to a decent standard, so I do try and watch a few of the internationals and also try to be objective about the game for when we have a pint and chat about it. May be when I understand a bit more about both the code and its rules I will like it a bit more.

Shushhhhhh, don't tell anyone I said/typed that! :wub:

Wigan got there in the end this afternoon, winning comfortably 48-18 after being behind in the early stages. Some terrible handling by Wigan though. Bad news also for Lee Mossop who'll be out for 12 weeks after another shoulder dislocation. Injuries mounting up already.

So you're another boring League fan who does nowt but bitch about Union then? As someone who likes both codes, it annoys me when league fans (who are usually 'professional northerners' as well) do nothing but badmouth a game which requires more technique, and can be just as exciting as watching 13 men running into each other, and then bending over.

I will say however, that there is more capacity for a game of union to be turgid. A bad game to watch can be worse than a bad game of league.

Sorry to just pick you up on it, but it is just something that gets on my tits.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Norbert

Here we go again, the inverted snobbery of rugby league fans, donning their mythical flat caps, and sticking it t' Sutherterrn softehs. Bore off you lot. The only issue I have with union is the scrums. They should do what they do in league, and form the scrums with both sides in contact, i.e. none of the ramming of the two packs that often cause the problems. One thing puzzles me about league is, why are the goal kickers so poor?

I like both codes, and both codes can be exciting for me to watch. What I find boring is the tedious sniping and whinging of league-only fans about union. Talk about chips on your shoulder. Tell me, who'll win the next rugby league world cup? Australia, or 'the other team'? Now that is a pointless tournament, like the league part of the Super League season as well as the union domestic leagues that have also adopted some form of play off system I might add.

I wouldn't say goal kicking is particularly bad in league, there are some really good kickers. I think the main difference is that in union penalties come so often and seem to be the main method of points scoring for some teams. Because of that a lot of teams " carry " a player just because of their goal kicking ability. In league the actual scoring of tries takes a more prominent role so hardly any teams " carry " a goal kicker ".

Just off out to feed my whippets.

The only issue I have with union is the lack of tries.

Well Norbert, twelve tries tonight as Wigan demolished a poor Widnes side 62-4 at the arctic like DW. Professional performance from the lads, some great moves, handling and, at times, defence.

For someone who likes both codes (yeah right) Norbert, you don't half knock League.

By the way, if you fancy taking in a game Norbert, we've now got a soup kitchen in the corner of the car park to feed those just in from the pits/factories after finishing their shift and there's also an area set aside for parking your whippet. Don't say 'owt to 'em in your southern accent though cos they won't understand you (the whippets that is, not the factory workers.