BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Royal wedding

Royals are entitled to have a wedding just like anyone else is, no problem with that. But I am totally against the royal family (deliberate none use of capitals). The wedding will have brought in a lot of money to London in tourism etc. but whilst we are in the grip of the worst recession in 30 years the extravagance and sheer brass necked opulence really gets my ###### goat up. Why should them @#/?s get such unbelievable treatment? For effectively winning the right time right place lottery.

They are really taking the ###### out of us, and all we do is simper, cry, wave the petrol station flag and say how ###### beautiful it all is.

(Please don't use that word again) off you set of inbred dole scrounging throwbacks.

Being a republican myself, usually I'd fully agree but I don't think this is the appropriate time. Let a young couple in love have their fantasy wedding and be happy for them.

This wedding has been the best news story Britain has had in the past few years.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Royals are entitled to have a wedding just like anyone else is, no problem with that. But I am totally against the royal family (deliberate none use of capitals). The wedding will have brought in a lot of money to London in tourism etc. but whilst we are in the grip of the worst recession in 30 years the extravagance and sheer brass necked opulence really gets my ###### goat up. Why should them @#/?s get such unbelievable treatment? For effectively winning the right time right place lottery.

They are really taking the ###### out of us, and all we do is simper, cry, wave the petrol station flag and say how ###### beautiful it all is.

(Please don't use that word again) off you set of inbred dole scrounging throwbacks.

Excellent!

As Captian Blackadder said to the oafish toff George when describing one of his relatives - "somewhere outside Saffron Walden you have an uncle who is eight feet tall with an Adam's Apple like a ballcock" No doubt there would have been a few like that at this do.

One day the British (and Australian) people might be considered mature and responsible enough to elect their head of state.

Not sure what you're referring to here but if you're having a pop at the Tories then I have to agree with yo

Ha ha Jim, you are a card ...

Would that make you Princess Diana? You, Bruce Lee and Elvis, faking your own deaths in order to pursue your dreams. :tu: In your case, following the Rovers. :rover:

Darn it, Steve, you're much too clever. Could it just be our little secret? :lol:;)

One day the British (and Australian) people might be considered mature and responsible enough to elect their head of state.

The Aussies were considered mature and responsible in 1999 and voted on the Monarchy. It was a spectacular fail, a huge majority voting to maintain the constitutional link. :tu:

Steve Moss hit the nail on the head;

you English have got the system down pretty well. Theoretical power only, which actually serves as a handy check for crazed politicians who may get too big for their britches. And as a bonus, you get the occasional ceremony full of pomp and circumstance to remind you of your 1,000 year tradition. So it isn't all bad.

Exactly - all the pageantry, history and national fervour sadly missing from Ronald Reagan, Gordon brown, George Bush et al

Republicans just can't get their head round the fact that 80% of the country STILL want a Monarchy!

All us serfs doffing our caps to the blue bloods! Even the Guardian has given up, if their vast coverage of the event is anything to go by!

:lol:

The Aussies were considered mature and responsible in 1999 and voted on the Monarchy. It was a spectacular fail, a huge majority voting to maintain the constitutional link. :tu:

sorry, AS, it wasn't the fact that a republic wasn't wanted, it was the way the odious John Howard phrased the question in the referendum that caused it to be knocked back.

Had it been a direct question of whether Australia should become a republic, then it would have been accepted. Howard put it up with two or three suggestions on how the republic should be established along side, if it should remain a constitutional monarchy. The split made certain that the CM won.

Would that make you Princess Diana?

And as a bonus, you get the occasional ceremony full of pomp and circumstance to remind you of your 1,000 year tradition. So it isn't all bad.

Also reminds Americans of what they continue to miss when they threw the tea overboard. The US had its own "royal" family of course but LHO blew the brains out of the lead member.

By the way, it's Diana, Princess of Wales. Princess Diana is/was no such person.

sorry, AS, it wasn't the fact that a republic wasn't wanted, it was the way the odious John Howard phrased the question in the referendum that caused it to be knocked back.

Had it been a direct question of whether Australia should become a republic, then it would have been accepted. Howard put it up with two or three suggestions on how the republic should be established along side, if it should remain a constitutional monarchy. The split made certain that the CM won.

Stole my thunder Dave. I was travelling around Australia at the time and remember dark mutterings of a carefully worded "preamble" which fudged the Republic referendum. Then PM Howard seemed to get the blame for that and I believe he was a staunch Royalist and Anglophile much like London born current Leader of the Opposition Tony Abbott.

I would reckon that the vast majority of Aussies would have a republic tomorrow. Unfortunately, back home people would seem to prefer tugging the forelock and funding the lifestyle of aristocrats.

Went down both Thursday, to soak in the atmosphere, and Friday, standing front row on the procession route. Not even British (obviously), but when all of the flags were being waved during the anthem, it was a spine tingler. Very glad I went.

I would reckon that the vast majority of Aussies would have a republic tomorrow.

Should have a vote, bet they wouldn't

Unfortunately, back home people would seem to prefer tugging the forelock and funding the lifestyle of aristocrats.

How patronising is that ? Nobody back home 'tugs the forelock', the majority of the public support the idea of a Royal Family and all the history and ceremony that goes with it.What do you hang bunting out for down there ? Uluru ?? :blink:

AS, it's incredibly difficult to get a referendum passed in Australia,her is a description of what has to happen:

"In order to pass a referendum, the bill must ordinarily achieve a double majority: a majority of those voting throughout the country, as well as separate majorities in each of a majority of states (4 of 6). In certain circumstances, where any state or states are affected by a referendum then a majority of voters in those states must also agree to the change. This is often referred to as the "triple majority" rule. Prior to the 1977 referendum, residents within the Northern Territory (NT) and the Australian Capital Territory (ACT) did not vote at referendums. Since 1977, voters in the ACT and the NT must vote in referendums, however their votes are only counted towards the national total and not against the totals of any of the states."

Only 8 out of 44 since 1906 have been passed.

You're probably right about it failing at the moment, but as the Royal wedding fade into memory, and the older , more pro monarchy supporters pass on, it's likely to tilt towards the Republican side.

Also reminds Americans of what they continue to miss when they threw the tea overboard. The US had its own "royal" family of course but LHO blew the brains out of the lead member.

By the way, it's Diana, Princess of Wales. Princess Diana is/was no such person.

Sorry. I'm not up on the etiquette of the royal family. But as the purpose of language is to communicate a thought, and considering that I'm an uncouth American, I assume that I communicated the identity of the person to whom I was referring adequately by use of "Princess Diana".

And the Kennedy's were no "royal" family, except in the minds of publishers and Massachusetts voters. Thankfully, that perception appears to be dying down and there is no "royal" family in the wings to replace them.

As to throwing the tea overboard, I very much approve of that decision on the part of my ancestors.

On the other hand, as a young man I frequently wondered why re-unification has never been discussed, especially in light of the UK's apparent (and surprising) desire to join the EU. We share a common language, values and culture. Other than an accent, there isn't really much to distinguish an American from an Englishman. Other than the American men, such as myself, being far more ruggedly handsome, of course.

Then as I matured in age and grew in cynicism, it occurred to me that it probably had been discussed (Eisenhower "England becomes states 51-60." Churchill "Fine. But we keep the Queen. And the US must lift its ridiculous embargo on Cuban cigars." Eisenhower: "We've a deal. By the way, can we borrow some Gurkhas? We have a small issue in a place called 'Vietnam'.") but it was determined the best way to keep the Anglo-American hegemony of the world going was to put its component parts into different camps so as to better influence global policy in our mutual interests. It's a theory, anyway.

Please don't get me started on the EU. It was always blindingly obvious to me what this was all about and couldn't understand why others didn't seem to see it. Pah!

You and me also Mum. If a party who had a chance of being elected had a manifesto saying that their main policy was to get us out of this money swallowing conglomeration it would certainly have my vote. Back to gallons, pounds and ounces and feet and inches too. The Europeans can stick their weights and measures up their kilometers.

Archived