BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Craig Bellamy

Neal

People do realise that 4m in today's money is like 2m pre-Sheik Mansour?

You're either on the merry-go-round or stood behind the barrier eating candy floss watching everyone else.

Better option than Keane in my opinion.

Not for 4m though

My sentiments precisely. Good player, but 80k pw wages, a bit injury prone, and his previous season spent in the Championship means City should be practically giving him away. The prices they keep asking for their players are ridiculous. I realise they want to recoup some of their vast expenditure, but they don't seem to realise that the wages they've put people on are unaffordable to most, and the prices they've paid are ludicrously large too. They're going to cost themselves more money by hanging onto all these players they can't put into their squad, not to mention how the new rules may stop them getting into Europe if they don't shed.

Although, I'm not clear on this...is it overall club wages that have to be at a certain percentage of turnover, or is it the wages of the 25-man squad you select for the competition?

People do realise that 4m in today's money is like 2m pre-Sheik Mansour?

You're either on the merry-go-round or stood behind the barrier eating candy floss watching everyone else.

Rather stood behind the barrier eating candy floss than be kicked out of the fairground forever for being broke.

Rather stood behind the barrier eating candy floss than be kicked out of the fairground forever for being broke.

But we have pockets full if cash now. Don't we?

Don't complain when everyone else is having a great ride and your candy floss is finished. Then you get chucked out of the fairground anyway.

Although there are some new attractions bring set up, one called the Hall Of Smoke And Mirrors, another call SEM-taro World.

You pays your money, you takes your choice...

But we have pockets full if cash now. Don't we?

Don't complain when everyone else is having a great ride and your candy floss is finished. Then you get chucked out of the fairground anyway.

Although there are some new attractions bring set up, one called the Hall Of Smoke And Mirrors, another call SEM-taro World.

You pays your money, you takes your choice...

Not sure this fairground analogy can really be stretched out any further to make my point, but what the hell.

Firstly, we're not sure just how much pocket money we have, nor whether there will be any more in future. Sometimes candy floss can actually be more enjoyable and longer-lasting than a merry go round. And hell, it's energising in the long run if not exactly nutritious.

Besides, whilst this carousel might be eye-catching with all its flashy lights, it's pretty expensive for what you really get- a fairly short ride that takes you round in circles so you don't get anywhere. Perhaps we would be better off with other attractions that may cost say, twice as much, but last five times longer. Or take a punt on the nice cheap monorail to the other end of the park, hoping it will take security longer to usher us all the way out.

In other words, I'd rather we spent the money on younger, promising but semi-established players, even if they cost more. And a few punts on Baez-style signings that may pay off big time. We need to look at long-term sustainability, not short term sh!ts and giggles.

I agree with that BB but your view still requires us to have money. My original point was that 4m for Bellamy is the (current) market rate due to other teams Man City, Sunderland, etc inflating it.

The fairground we are in is the PL so we either pay for the rides or we won't be involved much longer.

Sorry for hijacking the Bellamy thread because it really isn't about him. It's more about the frustration at people complaining of the price of ANY proven player we are linked with. If we keeping talking about only offering half what they are valued at in the market then we'll end up disappointed. Again.

I agree with that BB but your view still requires us to have money. My original point was that 4m for Bellamy is the (current) market rate due to other teams Man City, Sunderland, etc inflating it.

The fairground we are in is the PL so we either pay for the rides or we won't be involved much longer.

Sorry for hijacking the Bellamy thread because it really isn't about him. It's more about the frustration at people complaining of the price of ANY proven player we are linked with. If we keeping talking about only offering half what they are valued at in the market then we'll end up disappointed. Again.

Bellamy's market rate is what someone will pay for him. He is not worth 4m I'm afraid, 32 by the time the new season starts.

I would be very surprised if someone signs him for 4m, just coz we have a bit of money doesnt mean we can spend it on other teams over priced rejects.

people scoffed about bringing robbie keane here. Craig bellamy's game WAS/IS all about pace, he cant run 10 yards anymore without breaking down. I would sooner pay an extra million for keane than have bellamy back, great player in his day but as they say 'every dog....'

people scoffed about bringing robbie keane here. Craig bellamy's game WAS/IS all about pace, he cant run 10 yards anymore without breaking down. I would sooner pay an extra million for keane than have bellamy back, great player in his day but as they say 'every dog....'

I don't know, I don't watch the Championship. But if he has lost his pace, I'd agree, don't move in for him at all. Keane's game was more about pace than people are crediting though, and he's lost that too. Sadly, neither are likely to be the signing to take us forward anymore, despite being great in their heydays.

I don't believe this one for a second. He will play in Scotland where he can score at will and be a hero.

he was a hero for us.. when he scored his 17 goals! :unsure:

im unsure as to whether gambling on him is worth it.

he's still quick, but not as quick.. lost that umph.

he'll demand huge wages etc.. but could just end up being company for vince!

im 50/50 on it!

So was Benni, let's resign him.

That was years ago.

Aye, last time he was playing in the Premiership though, he was one of the top strikers in it. A little over a year ago. As I said, I don't know how he's been in the intervening year (though, I hear, injured quite a lot).

Absolutely no chance Bellamy will come here. He hasn't got the motivation. He fancied the challenge of getting Cardiff to the Premier League, and probably still does if they can sort something out.

I honestly think he'd prefer to retire than play for a mid table Premier League club. If he can't play for Cardiff or Man City then it'll be another 'strange' move representing a different challenge for him. He's done the mid table PL bit before.

Archived