BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] beards

However, on the more general point, I've had a beard for almost 32 years now, so it's older than many posters on here (and probably smarter than a good few :lol: ).

That's a bit like having the same broom for 32 years, and it having 3 new brushes and 4 new handles! :D

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kids should follow school rules and learn discipline - fine. But banning beards is a ridiculous rule and won't teach kids any discipline at all.

When my parents went to school in Soviet Ukraine, they were expected to keep their nails clean when coming to school. So they had someone check the nails of every student, every morning and they got demerit points if they were found with dirt underneath their nails. That is a ridiculous rule, but to me it's less ridiculous than the "no-beard" policy. At least this one actually focused on good hygiene and specifically for the hands (which will touch everything from tables to door handles). What harm will a beard realistically cause? Beard-envy? :P

As has been pointed out, the issue is, quite rightly, the obeyance of rules and standards but it is also about how rule are applied.

"Facial hair" v "No facial hair" is digital and can be monitored objectively.

If you allow beards which are "well groomed" then it becomes subjective. Who decides how a beard should look; what is acceptable and what is unkempt or dishevelled; or fashionable, etc.

It then opens up teachers for accusations of favouritism and makes the rule even more unfair. Same with hairstyles, and it's a much more slippery slope.

Start dropping standards and the rot will set in.

He should shave off the beard and get on with it just like the rest of his classmates. When he leaves school he can do what he likes.

Like Theno, I blame his parents. They and he signed up to the school rules when they started. The school should sue them for the cost of his education for breach of contract - for as long as he keeps up his protest.

Why stop at beards ?

Facial tattoos, unkempt hair, piercings, no uniforms, girls in bikinis, fags in the classroom, swearing, violence, knives, guns - let's have a free-for-all in schools.

Then when the kids can't get a job because they're unemployable and the army won't take them because they haven't had any discipline the education system of course will be to blame.

Reminds me of on of my favourite beard shaving stories. Back in the 1960s and 1970s, John Wooden was the best college basketball coach around, possibly one of the best coaches ever. His star player at UCLA was Bill Walton, a bit of a free spirit. Wooden had a no beard rule.

When Walton showed up for practice one day with a full beard and insisted that as much facial hair as he wanted was his right, Wooden didn’t argue. All John said was: “I admire people who have strong beliefs and stick by them. Bill, we’re all going to miss you!”

He shaved immediately.

Why stop at beards ?

Facial tattoos, unkempt hair, piercings, no uniforms, girls in bikinis, fags in the classroom, swearing, violence, knives, guns - let's have a free-for-all in schools.

Then when the kids can't get a job because they're unemployable and the army won't take them because they haven't had any discipline the education system of course will be to blame.

Crikey..... Which school did you go to? Come to think about it had bikini atoll even been invented then?

Reminds me of on of my favourite beard shaving stories. Back in the 1960s and 1970s, John Wooden was the best college basketball coach around, possibly one of the best coaches ever. His star player at UCLA was Bill Walton, a bit of a free spirit. Wooden had a no beard rule.

When Walton showed up for practice one day with a full beard and insisted that as much facial hair as he wanted was his right, Wooden didnt argue. All John said was: I admire people who have strong beliefs and stick by them. Bill, were all going to miss you!

He shaved immediately.

Could Alex Ferguson be old John's lovechild? Much as I dislike the old git I do admire the discipline that he imparts on his players. The Utd players resplendent in blazers, white shirts and club ties are a credit to the club. And lets be honest about the people that he's hatcheted, they've never missed either Paul Ince or Posh spice cluttering the place up and challenging his authority have they?

The school should sue them for the cost of his education for breach of contract - for as long as he keeps up his protest.

I'd love to see that one proceed, and where.

Funny isn't it, that just one young lad's "bum fluff" can cause so much comment.

But back to the original post, and in more seriousness, what's the difference between a school-boy having a beard & a school girl getting a pair of breasts earlier than her class-mates. Just forget the juvenile sniggering for a moment and consider the point.

Bit daft, really.

A girl can't help developing boobs.

A boy can shave.

Maintaining uniformity of appearance helps underpin school discipline. If someone wants to grow an amish beard and have titanium implants under his skin and eat caterpillars, that's cool. He'll have the rest of his life to look like that.

Bryan,

I know it was a bit of a light-hearted post by me, but it could be taken further.

If some 14 years old boys naturally develop beards and some 14 year old girls naturally develop breasts, then wouldn't it be discriminatory for the boy to have to enact a proceedure to remove his beard whilst the girl doesn't have to reduce her breasts purely on the basis that the boy's removal proceedure is simpler?

I speak as one who has recently undergone a period of training on The Equalities Act 2010

Don't ask....

Bryan,

I know it was a bit of a light-hearted post by me, but it could be taken further.

If some 14 years old boys naturally develop beards and some 14 year old girls naturally develop

Sorry guv, had a dose of food poisoning yesterday, was in a short-tempered mood and the subtle nuances flew right over my head.

I don't think I could grow a credible-looking beard myself, and blow me, if I haven't shaved for a week, my face gets as itchy as hell.

But at least you can shave a beard off.

Sometimes I think this is the Daily Express forum and not the BRFCS forum.

"Men with beards are lazy."

Some of these opinions are borderline facist, as if the menace of facial hair is not stopped it will be solely responsible for the downfall of society as we know it.

I happen to like my beard, I wash it at least twice daily (like anyone with basic personal hygiene) and trim it regularly. I am not a tramp. I have a good job and my facial hair has never prevented from me doing anything I wanted to do.

I am of Italian descent and would have to shave every day to remain clean shaven. I have sensitive skin and find it immensely unpleasant taking a razor to my face more than twice a week. Should I have to suffer personal discomfort and and constant red raw skin just because someone is likely to discriminate against me if I don't?

I find it disgusting that some people are still living in the dark ages in regards to judging people's appearance.

Should teenage boys who develop earlier be forced to shave under their arms just so they remain like their classmates for the sake of keeping order in the changing rooms? God forbid that puberty actually happens to some people.

If the greatest club in the world said "No trainers, no jeans, no beards" I would never shave my beard to go there. Solely for the reason it would likely be full of people who think like Gordon.

Sometimes I think this is the Daily Express forum and not the BRFCS forum.

"Men with beards are lazy."

Some of these opinions are borderline facist, as if the menace of facial hair is not stopped it will be solely responsible for the downfall of society as we know it.

I happen to like my beard, I wash it at least twice daily (like anyone with basic personal hygiene) and trim it regularly. I am not a tramp. I have a good job and my facial hair has never prevented from me doing anything I wanted to do.

I am of Italian descent and would have to shave every day to remain clean shaven. I have sensitive skin and find it immensely unpleasant taking a razor to my face more than twice a week. Should I have to suffer personal discomfort and and constant red raw skin just because someone is likely to discriminate against me if I don't?

I find it disgusting that some people are still living in the dark ages in regards to judging people's appearance.

Should teenage boys who develop earlier be forced to shave under their arms just so they remain like their classmates for the sake of keeping order in the changing rooms? God forbid that puberty actually happens to some people.

If the greatest club in the world said "No trainers, no jeans, no beards" I would never shave my beard to go there. Solely for the reason it would likely be full of people who think like Gordon.

Suit youself. Just remember there are a lot of people who think like me out there. They may not say it to your face for fear of insult but there are.

btw re:that nasty stingy devils beard that you get... have you tried this? http://www.metanium.co.uk/?gclid=CMSb262-n6oCFYUY4Qod-iy_5g

^_^

Archived