BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Interview with Mike England.

A Rovers great - best centre half I have seen in a blue and white shirt.

Indeed.

For newer members, he was voted into the "Rovers' greatest team".

He sounded very positive about his time here and I was intrigued about quite a number of things that came out.

One of the first - and best - attacking centre halves

Centre half - right half - centre forward. Not many could play all those positions brilliantly.

Look forward to hearing the interview.

Thanks 92er for pointing this out. I don't listen to Radio Lancs so would have missed it.

I must admit that as a youngster I took a little time to warm to England as he replaced one of my all time heroes in Matt Woods. However,what a player England became. As Den says, he could play in various positions equally well. Also agree with Jim that he was, without doubt, the best centre-half I have seen at the Rovers.

I shudder to think what Mike would cost if he was in his prime today.

The 1965/66 season was generally a miserable experience for Rovers fans. It started with a polio outbreak and ended with relegation to the sound of chants of 'Sack Jack'. But for me, it will always be remembered for my first away game - and what a wonderful memory - with Mike England scoring in a 4-1 thrashing of Burnley at Turf Moor ! Thanks Mike !

My favourite player as a young supporter.

The nearest player to him has been Phil Jones.

We resisted Man U and he went to Spurs.

Met him at Greenfield near Flint in North Wales,when I worked there in the late 80s,and he was a lovely, humble man and like Ronnie C a very open and warm human being.

When can we hear it on the web?

It's the first time I've heard Mike England speak and I was surprised at the gentleness of his voice.

He sounded a lot like Ronnie Clayton.

I, too, think he's the best Rovers centre half and that Phil Jones is following in his footsteps.

Archived