BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Martin Goodman

...but of course, you can't reveal who it was that gave this info....

Sorry for being a little skeptical, John.

I have been highlighting some things to certain people via PM and I think those people would agree that it is pretty bang on the money - I share what I can, it's not all doom and gloom.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not sure that there is a vision just now, think that they are just trying to get through the transfer window before sitting down and sorting out the direction/vision of the club. I would say that a director of football is distinct possibility over the next few months.

Kamy, chap a director of football is not the way forward. Could you suggest a performance director instead? Chelsea have one, Comoli is in esscence one at Liverpool as do Fulham, basically they are responsible for everything but the football coaching. So psychology, scouting, sports science, nutrition etc, if there's one thing wrong at most clubs its that the various departments don't work together and that is a performance directors role.

A director of football brings more problems than most realise and should Kean be replaced no top manager here will work with one. When this type of appointment is made (DofF) it is mostly done in conjunction with a manager so that they have similar ethos's and believes about the game.

Performance directors are the way forward and even on the continent we're seeing more and more of them appointed.

I have been highlighting some things to certain people via PM and I think those people would agree that it is pretty bang on the money - I share what I can, it's not all doom and gloom.

John, you may well have been privy to some information, but the fact is these people spent 40mill or more.

Quite simply, you don't do that if you haven't got the wherewithall to back it up. To do so could have (and may still do so, without the correct advice) sent them and all their business interests to the wall. This was, and still is, a huge risk for them, but the fact that they are still at it, with no apparent demise of their business on the cards, suggests that they are managing.

I repeat, if you have some information, give it freely on these boards, otherwise it will be treated as suspect and not worthy of consideration by those who think these things through.

John, you may well have been privy to some information, but the fact is these people spent 40mill or more.

Quite simply, you don't do that if you haven't got the wherewithall to back it up. To do so could have (and may still do so, without the correct advice) sent them and all their business interests to the wall. This was, and still is, a huge risk for them, but the fact that they are still at it, with no apparent demise of their business on the cards, suggests that they are managing.

I repeat, if you have some information, give it freely on these boards, otherwise it will be treated as suspect and not worthy of consideration by those who think these things through.

? I have stated it, fair enough treat it suspect if you want - everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

Lets just think about the cost implications of January last year, after Venky's announced their 5 million a window plan.

RSC, loan fee + 90K a week. Now I don't know the fee but 90K a week for about 5 months is around 200K a month, so 1 million.

Rochina cost 1 million or so, plus signing fee and wages.

Formica cost 3.5 million, plus signing fee and wages.

We sacked Sam, circa 1.5M a season so about 750K, plus others and gagging orders.

New contracts and pay rises were given out on top, those come with agents fees and signing bonuses on top. If pay-rises were on the scale that I have heard to placate all the players who were bitching publically then again more serious cash was spent.

Obviously agents fees need to be added on and given there sacking of Kentaro and moaning about the fees I'll wager they were high.

The biggest budget in our HISTORY was promised and has quickly disappeared, Keans words. Why? did they find out there 40million wouldn't go far?

You only have to think about it all and if I had in the figures I have heard then it's little wonder we have had to take out an 18 million pound mortgage to fund it all. The rumoured figures for most of the new contracts have been posted on here along with the agents fees add it all up and it is considerably more than the 10 million a season they stated would be supplied. the wherewithall you demand is on hear if you look for it, they have most likely blown the best part of 2-3 years planned funding already. Hence their new mantra value for money.

Their other businesses may not be suffering, but the one business they own that I care about most definitely is ROVERS.

It was always on the cards Goodman going, he has again done a superb job. So the team of Williams, Finn, Goodman and Pincher who made Rovers into one of the best run clubs in the country have all been removed over the last 7 months, replaced by people who have potential but very little experience for all our sakes we gotta hope that Venky's have a Gameplan here and that this pays off, you cannot afford to get things wrong off the field.

Amen to all that Kamy.

The Venkey mob have bought a club that has been punching above it's weight for years and they have systematically cut it's head off. We all hope they have a bigger game plan but deep down we must all know know by now from the lies that they have fed us since November and from the mistakes that they have made that they are just base and inept bullshitters.

Thanks Kamy, very insightful.

Lets hope for all our sakes that the people with potential "step up."

imy.... from that post it appears that even you are now seeing the light.

Kamy, chap a director of football is not the way forward. Could you suggest a performance director instead? Chelsea have one, Comoli is in esscence one at Liverpool as do Fulham, basically they are responsible for everything but the football coaching. So psychology, scouting, sports science, nutrition etc, if there's one thing wrong at most clubs its that the various departments don't work together and that is a performance directors role.

A director of football brings more problems than most realise and should Kean be replaced no top manager here will work with one. When this type of appointment is made (DofF) it is mostly done in conjunction with a manager so that they have similar ethos's and believes about the game.

Performance directors are the way forward and even on the continent we're seeing more and more of them appointed.

I agree with you Majiball. I would say a Director of Football operations is needed at rovers. Somebody to oversee the off the football pitch side of the game like Scouting, medical and sports science department.

If that happens then it would allow the football manager to focus on the on the pitch things like coaching, tactics, team selection and which players he would like to sign.

This is the way forward for rovers in my view

As I posted above, a major task for Venny/Paul/Andrew Bloch is now quickly to find out just how Kean got the job and as a consequence how soon they fire replace him.

That is the single most important step they need to take to re-unify the fans and to hope that the Venky's foul up of being completely suckered (by people they only needed to make a couple of reference phone calls about to realise they were being taken as complete fools) is forgiven if not forgotten.

Easy said Phillip. I'd say 90% feel the same way too but who do we replace him with? I'm asking you and the mb here cos the Venkey Mob wont have a bloody clue what qualities and experience are needed.

imo the question that I continally asked the 'Allardyce Out' brigade in the good old days still stands ... who can we get in to replace him? Nobody could come up with better option then but now it must be a bloody site easier task, but who do we go for that can do our job successfully under the Venkey Mob's ownership? And most pertinent of all.....WHO (who is any good) WOULD COME TO FLY OVER THIS PARTICULAR CUCKOOS NEST?

I frequently post questions on the MB asking questions to which I do not know the answers.

More revealing to pose questions on the MB when you do know the answers. ;)

What is this Venny Roa's business background?

They've been done up like kippers by the last mob in so as long as they trust him a business backgound is not that important. He will be their eyes and ears and most imp of all will be working with their best interests at heart.

But you do post a lot of answers when, perhaps, there was no question.

Philip, I've given a lot of credence to your posts over the years, but of late, (the last twelve to fifteen months), you have been somewhat opinionated.

It's all very well to say something, but then not to back it up with fact, IMO, detracts from what you are trying to say; which in turn makes subsequent posts less believable.

Small wonder with the flak that he has received.

Not a chance of that is there Dave? You know things don't work like that or if not you should do. If you want to know stuff better then you should have pm'd him and asked to be put on his pm list and kept informed surely?

Easy said Phillip. I'd say 90% feel the same way too but who do we replace him with? I'm asking you and the mb here cos the Venkey Mob wont have a bloody clue what qualities and experience are needed.

imo the question that I continally asked the 'Allardyce Out' brigade in the good old days still stands ... who can we get in to replace him? Nobody could come up with better option then but now it must be a bloody site easier task, but who do we go for that can do our job successfully under the Venkey Mob's ownership? And most pertinent of all.....WHO (who is any good) WOULD COME TO FLY OVER THIS PARTICULAR CUCKOOS NEST?

More revealing to pose questions on the MB when you do know the answers. ;)

Oh, its Phillip now? No schoolyard nickname?

Small wonder with the flak that he has received.

Every last bit deserved. Much like yourself.

Got to love the timing.. get rid of an experienced chairman director of finance just as the transfer window closes... *sigh*

That just leaves Robert Coar right?

I think you will find that Rob Coar has not been 'hands-on' for quite some time now. Through no fault of his on, has probably forgotten where the Board room is!

I think you will find that Rob Coar has not been 'hands-on' for quite some time now. Through no fault of his on, has probably forgotten where the Board room is!

so basically, we have no experienced people able to even conduct a new manager search!!

It's great paul has come into the role to run the business side of the club, but his background is a commercial director. selling sponsorships, season tickets etc.

The best thing Venkys could do now, is to get a non exec chairman who they can talk to get sound advice. Someone who has huge expereince of runnign football clubs and working within the confines of our football system. Doubt that's going to happen though.

You bang on about this message board DGS and how it's gone down hill and how roversmum et al don't want to get involved and so on, yet almost all your posts ignore the debate and go for the poster.

Why don't you give it a rest for a change.

Archived