BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Goalkeeping Situation

Bobby G

I wanted to see what your thought have been on the following.

I feel this has been a poor season by Robinson, especially coming on the back of what was his best year in our colors last season. He has parried too many balls right at the opposition in dangerous areas, dropped a few clangers and has had many "save-able" shots go past him. By the last one I mean shots that were quite central and close to him rather than in the corners. Also if you compare yesterday with most of our games, we had far less long balls because Robinson wasnt there. Im sure Robbo is given the instructions to hoof it at will but with Bunn we played a shorter passing game which hadnt been evident for a while. Most of Robinson's good saves this season have been from reflexes. However, he has been beaten from long range more than anyone. Obviously the players not being closed down causes that a bit too, but stats show he has had a poor season in terms of shots to saves ratios and shots to goals ratios.

From what Ive read people have mixed views on Bunn. He has impressed me whenever Ive watched him and I think he has a better range of saves than people give him credit too. I actually felt confident everytime the ball went near him yesterday. He only made a slight error in the first half when he didnt attack the ball, which gave Carroll a shot from 4 yards, to which Bunn made a great point-blank save.

I think he would be an able number 1 and is one of the better deputies in the league.

Robinson at his best would be the better keeper, no question, but he hasnt been at his best this season and with the rumored 6 week lay-off in play I wanted to see what people thought of Bunn.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think he would be an able number 1 and is one of the better deputies in the league.

I agree with the second bit. Let's see how he fares after a sustained period with that shower in front of him, and have his confidence rot away as a result.

What struck me yesterday is that Kean seems to be alienating or "losing to injury" all those players with more senior football experience than him. He appears to be quickly ensuring that all of the players are inferior to himself. In my view, this is so that he can maintain authority, hence all of the young players or players that 'owe him' for their big chance, e.g. Hoilett as the 'star' (at the expense of the team unit) and Roberts (back from the wilderness and an anti-Sam man by all accounts).

It could be said that, fair do's he wants his own players but he is downgrading at every opportunity.

Robbo is still young (by top class goalkeeper standards) and has his best years AHEAD of him. We will end up without him.

P.S. Some doubted Friedal in the early days. We didn't need him when we had the magnificent John Filan.

Robbo looks more and more discontent every time I see him. I don't think his hearts in it any more. He seems vulnerable to low shots either side, seems to almost dive over the ball. In his defence, he hasn't had much cover in front of him, and I was always brought up to believe you shouldn't blame a goaly!

I was extremely dissapointed we sold Fielding so cheaply.

Bunn did have a good game yesterday (but did actually give a pen away but was given offside wrongly),but would need to see him a few times before a reasonable judgement could be made.

And, as Jisty mentioned, we seem to be replacing a lot of the 'old gaurd', probably for financial reasons.

One game and we are hailing Bunn as the next big thing.. christ I know its got the clutching for straws stage at blackburn but thats daft.

His only other performance this season was not exactly a shinning example of a player who is going to make it.. he made quite a few mistakes in the Cardiff game.

One game and we are hailing Bunn as the next big thing.. christ I know its got the clutching for straws stage at blackburn but thats daft.

His only other performance this season was not exactly a shinning example of a player who is going to make it.. he made quite a few mistakes in the Cardiff game.

not really when they said Bunn was replacig Robbo I was vey interested to see what happen because he is a very good keeper.

Always liked the look of him, maybe he needs a longer test but it's a bit like Filan under Flowers when called apon he impresses.

Yeah, it's important to judge Bunn over a run of games, not just a one-off - though it'd be unfair to take anything away from him yesterday, his shot shopping was very good.

Bunn's main problem is his height.

He's around 5'10", which is fairly short for a 'keeper and yesterday was the best I've seen him play, from around 4/5 matches.

In other games he's looked a bit shaky, irratic and prone to the odd blunder.

Robbo has shown his quality and consistency over several years in the top flight and is undoubtedly a superb goalkeeper.

He was at his best when in peak physical condition under Big Sam, and I feel that his form this season has suffered from carrying a bit of extra weight. Not to mention some horrendous defending, which even Brad would have struggled to look good behind.

So, right now, in a choice between the two I'd go with Robbo 10 times out of 10 but yesterday was a chance for Bunn to shine and that's exactly what he did.

Should have conceded a penalty with a rash challenge in the first half, but got away with a dodgy (and incorrect) offside decision - but other than that, I was extremely impressed with his reactions and shot stopping.

The final save from Carroll was one that you live for as a 'keeper - point blank, completely instictive and a match saver.

Yeah, it's important to judge Bunn over a run of games, not just a one-off - though it'd be unfair to take anything away from him yesterday, his shot shopping was very good.

Bunn's main problem is his height.

He's around 5'10", which is fairly short for a 'keeper and yesterday was the best I've seen him play, from around 4/5 matches.

In other games he's looked a bit shaky, irratic and prone to the odd blunder.

Robbo has shown his quality and consistency over several years in the top flight and is undoubtedly a superb goalkeeper.

He was at his best when in peak physical condition under Big Sam, and I feel that his form this season has suffered from carrying a bit of extra weight. Not to mention some horrendous defending, which even Brad would have struggled to look good behind.

So, right now, in a choice between the two I'd go with Robbo 10 times out of 10 but yesterday was a chance for Bunn to shine and that's exactly what he did.

Should have conceded a penalty with a rash challenge in the first half, but got away with a dodgy (and incorrect) offside decision - but other than that, I was extremely impressed with his reactions and shot stopping.

The final save from Carroll was one that you live for as a 'keeper - point blank, completely instictive and a match saver.

Well put. I feel Robbo has regained the weight which he had lost last season and that's held him back from going down for shots low to either corner. Given isnt one of the tallest and neither is Akinfeev. To be honest people used to say Brown is short too but I always thought he did well when he came in for us. At least never much worse than the regular choice.

Like I said in other threads - I believe this has something to do more with the half time talk against WBA - by Robbo - not Kean.

At the moment it seems the players are taking things into their own hands one way or another.

We should be very proud of the players who are sticking it out on the pitch.

I heard all the 'he's not injured' rumours. But I just can't see Kean doing that. Yes we have the Salgado factor but I don't think there are many on here who would be playing him in front of Lowe anyway.

I genuinely think robbo must be injured.

I heard all the 'he's not injured' rumours. But I just can't see Kean doing that. Yes we have the Salgado factor but I don't think there are many on here who would be playing him in front of Lowe anyway.

There was a credible rumor about Robbo and the injury story. I doubt the players would stand by it though.

If Bunn can build on yesterday's performance he deserves to remain behind the sticks when Robbo returns to fitness. Like I said in another thread, Robbo has been poor this season. Not helped by current affairs, sure, but that's no excuse for some of the sloppy goals he's conceded. I've always thought Bunn looks an able deputy, and he should be a solid keeper in The Championship next season. :mellow:

You can't just overlook this. Salgado was apparently injured until he came out in the press. Kean then put a brave face on and said he'd played his last game for us.

Hypothetically, if Robbo has told Kean he's off in Jan if Kean is still here, I could imagine a deal being struck where Robbo is 'injured' and in return doesn't do a Salgado. Like I said, that's just my imagination, but 6 weeks pretty much keeps him out for the whole of the transfer window.

I do think that our better/experienced players are being sold/allowed to leave though. Maybe down to wages, maybe something else. Can't wait to see the names we get linked with followed by the actual signings. Can't we just skip all of the BS and just fast forward to Feb 1st.

I think Bunn is a pretty decent keeper, and Robbo has struggled this year. As someone else pointed out, I feel Robinson's troubles have been caused by gaining a bit of weight which makes it harder to get down quickly and has resulted in low shots regularly beating him.

Bunn might be short, but he dealt with crosses quite well yesterday. Of course, that'll be a bigger test when Samba leaves, but for now I don't have any questions about his talent so we'll see how he does with this chance. People can point to the penalty that was given offside, but I seem to remember Robbo doing exactly the same in a game at Ewood last season when the ball was practically out of play already.

When was Bunn on loan to Sheff Utd? Couple of seasons ago? From what I remember he started off really well there with the Blades fans raving about him, but after a couple of months they seemed to be conceding for fun. Now I don't remember if Bunn was given grief for that but I do wonder if like many players he's one who starts really well but fades when he becomes a regular..

Unconvincing IMO. I was out drinking yesterday and had at least ten people tell me about his amazing performance. Watched the highlights today and thought he was all over the place and very indecisive. Hopefully with a few more games under his belt he might look a bit calmer/in control. The save in the last few minutes showed he has shot stopping ability, and is quick reflex wise. I think he could be hero or zero come united away

Robbo seems to be the only player consistantly applauding the fans and wasn't it Robbo's guests with the T shirts against Kean and Venkys? I think its perhaps Robbo being got rid of because he has spoke out against the regime? It does sem those that speak up are no longer in favour.

Bunn did well yesterday but I wouldnt swap him for Robbo based on a months worth of performances imo that was one of Brian Kidds mistakes not putting Flowers back in when he was fit again. Filan made some great saves that year but Flowers was the better keeper and more of a motivator and instilled confidence in the defence.

I'm not wishing the worst on Bunn; but, given our current "bad run of injuries" ;) , what do people think of Jake Kean as his understudy for the next few weeks?

I seem to remember he had a good loan spell at Hartlepool last season; but his loan to Rochdale earlier this season seemed to end quite suddenly. Rochdale said we'd recalled him; but from what I heard on the local grapevine, he'd had problems with an inconsistent and constantly-changing back four picked by a novice manager with even less experience than our own.

Archived