BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Censorship Clamp

mhead

With the Censorship Clamp now come down on both BRFCS and the Lancashire Evening Telegraph (sorry LT) do we now have to create new ways of communicating with each other re the perilous state of OUR football team.

Might I suggest:

- removing the letters J and A from the Latin Alphabet

- starting a new website called " 137 years and counting?"

- ordering a flock of carrier pigeons

- face masks to be worn when on't Internet

- moving the website to Syria where there is less censorship

and Lastly pleading to Jack Straw to help us to try and face up to this insidious destruction of OUR Club.

It is as if the only conspiracy going is to destroy our spirit,our hearts and OUR Club (always to be written in caps please)

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ah, OK.

Well, I would rather this site and the LT didn't get sued.

I think it will all come out in the wash anyway.

The LT will still be able to report stories just as it's always done. But other people's comments left on their website they'll have to be wary of. The same for this website. It's about protecting them and us from litigation.

If there's anything that can be substantiated, I don't think anyone will shy away from it.

Setting up a group on certain open forum sites such as reddit might be one way to discuss things. Or having closed forum groups - although i suspect that already happens between people ITK. Problem with these things is the bigger they get the easier they are to be found and cracked down upon.

What would the damage to football be in this country if a fan or set of fans was to be taken to court by a football agency or something similar.

Do we accept Andersons right to stop our freedom of speech on what is.... just footballing matters ?

What would the damage to football be in this country if a fan or set of fans was to be taken to court by a football agency or something similar.

I think censorship and the 'isims are getting out of hand in the UK, apparently it's now sexism against that female linesman/woman from the weekends game??

Problem with the internet as well, it's all recorded and out in the public domain, perfect fodder for litigation...

I need a lie down!

We've cracked down on it here because people are making allegations, and we have seen levels of what people would contend as abuse on here - Hence the pinned topic.

Since the interview this week, people have decided that they will post what they want regardless. IMHO we have to moderate these carefully ourselves, and our position is much the same as the LET's below

fair and even robust comments on this subject acknowledging the depth of feeling of supporters and their right to express their opinions as long as these comments are lawful and obey our house rules.

But we refuse to accept defamatory and unproven accusations of criminal or other wrongful activity which break the rules governing the comments facility. "

I should add that moving the comments / allegation elsewhere - free web forums / facebook / twitter that the posters themselves are responsible for the content that is posted. We only saw earlier this week somebody arrested for comments on twitter towards Collymore. You are not as anonymous on the internet as you may think

As someone said above would any other news agencies take up this story as football fans being silenced? This obviously has wider implications than football

Theres a difference between posting some opinions on what he did to / for Rovers, and then silencing some of the abuse that he and his family HAVE had OR silencing completely false allegations.

Its important that people remember that they should only post what they can back up with fact, otherwise he clearly can use that to state his professional reputation has been adversely affected.

We as a site have to take the safe option here as we dont have large legal teams to fall back on. The LET obviously has to find another solution as well even though they probably have some legal advisors on retainers.

As someone said above would any other news agencies take up this story as football fans being silenced? This obviously has wider implications than football

I've emailed sky sports u2us@skysports.com im emailing the dailys aswell. Anyone got 10 mins spare please do the same, this has far wider implications than football if this is the way forward, they may just pick up on it with the collymore article creating attention

Archived