BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The Full Members Reunion

Just needed to say what a fabulous time I had at the reunion do tonight. Such warmth and camaraderie – will that ever be seen again? Will coaching staff and players bother turning up like the lads (if we can still call them that) did tonight for the 25th anniversary of the Premiership win? And if it were possible to adopt a grown up, I’d adopt Alan Ainscough in a flash. In fact I wouldn’t need my telly – I’d just love Alan to come round my house for a couple of hours a night to entertain me – what an absolute star. In fact I’ve fallen in love (not in a sexual way) with Alan. He’s now my hero.

Great night out.

"Alan! Alan Ainscow!" what a great guy.

What struck me was out of the 10 only one isn't involved in football anymore (Alan). Scotty is at City, Windy at Huddersfield, I'm pretty sure that Sulley is at Bolton. Simon Barker spoke well, as did Vince, Killer, Tony and my old man.

That was when we were crap though. We still beat burnley.

Lets hope we have a Kean reunion in 25 years.

Not fit to lace Bobby Saxtons boots, Kean is a fraud of a man, and this is a fraud of a football club.

They were great days, we had better of course after then, but it was a proper football club.

:brfc:

No, Topman - Not like that. It's just that Alan kind of stole the show. A really warm, lovely and funny raconteur - bet he's never been called that before. Better than most of the pants stuff shown on telly lately.

Great night out.

What struck me was out of the 10 only one isn't involved in football anymore (Alan). Scotty is at City, Windy at Huddersfield, I'm pretty sure that Sulley is at Bolton. Simon Barker spoke well, as did Vince, Killer, Tony and my old man.

Not fit to lace Bobby Saxtons boots, Kean is a fraud of a man, and this is a fraud of a football club.

They were great days, we had better of course after then, but it was a proper football club.

Jesus! Whilst I'm no fan of Kean and Venkys does every thread have to come back to them? Can't we just for once actually discuss the thread topic without adding that alzheimers touch?

t'was a great night with a good mix of stories from the past and talking about the modern game - probably the best one put on by the club yet. Was also good to see most of them still involved in the game in some form or another.

Hopefully the club can continue to put these nights on...

Too true Bob , me and my mate followed Rovers all over the country in those days ..

Jesus! Whilst I'm no fan of Kean and Venkys does every thread have to come back to them? Can't we just for once actually discuss the thread topic without adding that alzheimers touch?

Probably best just to ignore it otto don't you think? Last thing you want to do is highlight it and bring it to everyone's attention. Which you have done. And whilst we're straying off topic, I'm getting sick and tired of occasional posts in threads that refer to posters highlighting the failings of Kean and Venkys. Will someone please think of the children.

Great night out.

Awww! Bob!

I had tickets, but couldnt go! :(

Sounds like a great night.

Went to the final (as a 7 year old) and it still remains one of my favourite rovers ocassions. I can still remember it vividly!

I often get nostalgic; for those days, for those players, for the old ground etc.. :rover:

Full Members Cup Final. First time I ever cried at a football match (the only other two being predictably in 1995 and 2002). Fantastic memories, and in a strange way out of the three occasions I mentioned, that one made me most proud to be a Rover. I can't fully explain why. Incidentally, does anybody know why Mark Patterson wasn't there last night?

It is not possible to over estimate how big a deal the winning of the cup was back then. Years of scapping around divisions two and three, never any money to spend on players, or even staff for that matter. The constant threat of going out of business, a stadium falling apart, all things that were the bread and butter of being a Rovers fan.

But out of nothing , Don puts a side together that almost by accident finds it self back at Wembley for the first time since 1960, and all of a sudden 30,000 or so fans are on the way to capital to see us play. Compare that to the turnout of the then 1st Division opponents from Charlton, who I reckon brought about 6 or 7,000 across from London.

There is a thread in the olden days bit of the site here, in which are a couple of my photos from the day, But here they are again! :tu:

302908_10150427780820898_594900897_10726405_1777006738_n.jpg

302115_10150427781270898_594900897_10726412_186854187_n.jpg

Full Members Cup Final. First time I ever cried at a football match (the only other two being predictably in 1995 and 2002). Fantastic memories, and in a strange way out of the three occasions I mentioned, that one made me most proud to be a Rover. I can't fully explain why. Incidentally, does anybody know why Mark Patterson wasn't there last night?

Fantastic occasion and I was very proud of our club and team and had a brilliant day out. I think we beat 3 / 4 PL teams in winning that competition so certainly did not do it the easy way. Still not forgiven Charlton for turning up with one man and his dog!

Poor game and many of our players froze as admitted by Garner. A maurading Hendry grabbed a goal in off the post and that was that however.

No suprise to me that the group had lasting friendships. They played with togetherness and as a team.

No suprise to me that the group had lasting friendships. They played with togetherness and as a team.

My mate was a Rovers apprentice at the time. He thought the world of Bob Saxton but wasn't over keen on McKay.

He did confirm the togetherness of the squad though and talked of some legendary refuelling and ...ahem 'capacity'.

The FMC final was one of the best days of my life. I'd love to have a reunion with everyone who was aboard the two coaches despatched south from our local in Ossy. The 'refreshment' stop in Toddington was one to remember!

Them wur t'days, we didn't 'ave much but we wur 'appy.

My mate was a Rovers apprentice at the time. He thought the world of Bob Saxton but wasn't over keen on McKay.

He did confirm the togetherness of the squad though and talked of some legendary refuelling and ...ahem 'capacity'.

The FMC final was one of the best days of my life. I'd love to have a reunion with everyone who was aboard the two coaches despatched south from our local in Ossy. The 'refreshment' stop in Toddington was one to remember!

Them wur t'days, we didn't 'ave much but we wur 'appy.

Mark Patterson would tell you exactly the same thing. Doesn't have a good word to say about Mackay. From a supporters perspective I thought Don did a good job.

Mark Patterson would tell you exactly the same thing. Doesn't have a good word to say about Mackay. From a supporters perspective I thought Don did a good job.

When Saxton was sacked there was a picture of him in the Telegraph getting into his car looking like a broken man. He was quoted as saying that it had been an 'honour' to manage Rovers. I had spent the previous weeks shouting and screaming for his head so I didnt feel particularly proud of myself.

I reckon McKay did a great job for us, building on foundations laid by Bob Saxton in extremely trying circumstances. I remember us beating Leeds at Ewood in their promotion season when they went up under Howard Wilkinson. He moved a very workman like John Millar from left back to centre midfield and he had a stormer. We murdered Leeds, Gordon Strachan and all, that day. I think he went onto be Arsenal's northern scout for a bit so he cant have been all bad despite what my mate and Paddy said.

Guted I couldn't make it last night. I was at Wembley in 1987 and was just 8 years old but can remember it vividly. It wasn't a great game at all, Vince O'Keefe kept us in it at times but when Colin Hendry scored that goal it went mental!

My most vivid memory though was at the celebrations ouotside the town hall, my Dad had got us right to the front and decided to throw me over the barriers as it was getting quite busy when Colin was walking round with the trophy. Colin told me to come over and hold the trophy with him, so I did.

The next day my Dad had bought the LET and the LEP for the souvenir pictures and on the front of one of them, I think it was the Telegraph, was a picture of me stood there in my grey and black Spall tracksuit holding the trophy one side and Colin Hendry holding the other side!

We managed to get copies of that picture and another with Chris Price shown reading the paper with his feat on table which had the trophy on it. Both players signed copies for us and I still have them hanging in my house to this day. I will get them scanned and put them on here at some point.

Great memories. Colin Hendry was always friendly to us as I was growing up, especially good to my Mum and Dad that saw him regularly at the club, and when my Dad was ill took time out to speak to my mum about it. Top man.

At Uni I got to know Glenn Keely as he was doing a sports science degree after retiring and he convinced me to do some FA coaching badges with him. He was/is another lovely man but I haven't seen or sopken to him for a couple of years, he did turn up at my 21st with a ball signed by the team. He told me some stories about Rovers managers he worked under and he also didn't have much good to say about Mackay, which surprised me but seems to be quite common.

I don't think they make footballers like that lot anymore, especially at the top level.

Probably best just to ignore it otto don't you think? Last thing you want to do is highlight it and bring it to everyone's attention. Which you have done. And whilst we're straying off topic, I'm getting sick and tired of occasional posts in threads that refer to posters highlighting the failings of Kean and Venkys. Will someone please think of the children.

Steady on.

Saxtons style of football made Big Sam seem like an exponent of total football.

me and my mate followed Rovers all over the country in those days ..

Very fond memories of that time being a Rovers fan,still at School and following them to shyte tips like Walsall and Bournemouth.The club was much different from the one now but you always had that feeling we were a bit 'special' :rover:

Garner,Brotherstone,Hendry,Barker,Faz,Keeley,Windy...the names live long in the memory.

Little did we all know that a certain Jack Walker was watching,waiting to pick his moment to take his beloved blue 'n' whites back to the big time,little did we know folks what laid in store!

'87-'95.... THE B.R.F.C. WONDER YEARS :tu:

Steady on.

Saxtons style of football made Big Sam seem like an exponent of total football.

My memory is possibly impacted by time .. all I remember is

Kevin Arnott running the midfield

Noel beating the right back time and time again

Windy flying down the right wing

Youngsters like Simon Barker and Patterson coming through the ranks

Simon Garner scoring five

Us taking the lead against Liverpool in the FA Cup

Ah - good times.

Anyway - back to full members - I can remember sitting there thinking that this was possibly as good as it would get (as a Rover fan) - lets all raise a glass to Jack who helped us to achieve dreams that even the most optimistic flying pig wouldn't have dream't of at that time.

P.S. Oh and a certain curly haired right back/centre back :rover:

Archived