BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Mark Hughes to Stoke City

Hi all,

I am a reporter at the Sentinel newspaper in Stoke-on-Trent.

I was hoping one of you could help me out. I am putting a piece together on Mark Hughes becoming Stoke's new manager and would like to get some thoughts on this from a Blackburn supporter.

If you are happy to share your thoughts on Hughes and perhaps give Stoke fans an indication of what they can expect from their new man, then could you e-mail me on dave.knapper@thesentinel.co.uk?

Thanks,

Dave

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A little surprised, if I'm honest. I didn't think Hughes would have another PL job so soon after the pig's ear he made of QPR. He also went down in my estimation for the way he conducted himself at City. His stock has fallen some way from the promising young manager who left here five years ago.

Hughes is one of those old-school managers who seems to work better on a shoestring. Look at the success he had with Wales, Rovers, and to a lesser extent Fulham. And he did that on little to no money. Give him a king's ransom, however, and he won't know what to do with it, as Sheikh Mansour and Fernandes discovered to their chagrin. Perhaps that's a lesson Peter Coates will learn when it comes to opening the chequebook. Hughes' teams usually embody what he was like as a player: combative, no-nonsense, but with a touch of class. In that regard, he has the right mentality to revive Stoke's former ethos, and with some astute spending they could very well be on to a winner.

If ever two parties looked made for each other it is Stoke and Mark Hughes. He likes to have a squad with a physical base and then build around that. Stoke have that in abundance and more skillful players than people give them credit for (mainly down to how Pulis had them playing). He won't have interfering owners like at Man City and QPR. Left to his own devices he's still a very good manager.

QPR is really the only blemish on his record, but then it sounds like Fernandes brought a lot of those players to the club trying to buy immediate success (his recent comments about being taken advantage of by agents sounds very familiar). A lot the signings were definitely not typical Hughes signings. Given that Redknapp didn't improve results despite bringing in several of his own players, it suggests QPRs failings were down to a poor playing staff rather than management.

His league record with us and Fulham is excellent. Stoke are at that level and are a similarly well-run club. Man City were an exagerrated version of QPR - owners forcing players onto him (Jo etc) trying to buy immediate success. He did bring the likes of Zabeleta to the club so he did put the wheels in motion for what they went on to achieve. There was a stat put around 12 months after he left that Hughes had gained more points than Mancini at that stage in the season, so I don't think he was underachieving with what he had.

I think Stoke will really prosper under his management. They'll retain that physical style which will unsettle many teams but will be more expansive than under Pulis. They can probably look forward to some good signings as well because I don't think he's lost his touch in the transfer market. He wasn't at Fulham long but still got Moussa Dembele for around £6 million.

Hughesy-era remembered as a truly golden era,with all those semi-finals and the sheer talent of the Taffia backroom staff. In the end he lost it,but don't all Managers(except bloody Fergie). Made us a big Club,shooting well above our weight and money,with the emphasis on hard work and talented forwards -Bellamy,Bentley,Bennie McCarthy etc. And don't forget his period as a player and the superb contribution to the Worthy Cup win.

One things for sure with hughes, he always needs time and support at the beginning to implement his methods, it usualy takes a few months for them to bare fruit so expect a slow uphill start, when he gets his teams going though theres no looking back, hughes defintely is a step up from pardew.

Great appointment for Stoke. I reckon Potters fans can expect fast, physical and entertaining football with the ball moved forward quickly (via midfield!) and can look forward to seeing their side run the legs off their opponents in the closing stages of games. There won't be many fitter sides around than Stoke next season.

Top manager.

One things for sure with hughes, he always needs time and support at the beginning to implement his methods, it usualy takes a few months for them to bare fruit so expect a slow uphill start, when he gets his teams going though theres no looking back, hughes defintely is a step up from pardew.

Pardew ? while i agree it would be a step up i don't think you have the right manager there.

Oh to be back in the days when Hughes was manager at the club, the top six finish, European football, buying Samba, Bentley Santa Cruz for peanuts all seem a million miles away from where we are now. We haven't had anywhere near as good a manager since Hughes left and I'd have him back at Ewood in a heartbeat.

Don't think he was a good fit at City or QPR as he seems to work best at clubs that don't chuck money at him, If he'd stayed at Fulham he would have done the same there as he did here I suspect. I think he'll be a success if he's given a chance at Stoke.

In terms of running a club, Stoke are more than sensible and will not have the power to splash the cash in the same way QPR and City have had when Sparky was manager there. He was at his best as a manager at Rovers, and did well at Fulham. I wouldn't say his time at Man City was a disaster or anything, it was just average, and then QPR was obviously a failure.

Depends whether Stoke are getting the manager that Rovers had a few years ago or whether they are getting the manager QPR had last season who was influenced too much by his agent.

Personally I think Stoke are a good team for him to rebuild his reputation with.

!!!

Stoke have spent bajillions!!!

Sounds like they want to stop doing that though. The BBC article mentions Coates not being happy that Pulis spent money on players with little resale value.

If they want a manager who can sign players and increase their worth then there aren't many better than Hughes. Restrict is spending to £6 million or so per player and he'll rarely let you down.

Hughes will do an excellent job at Stoke City. I agree with Le Chuck limit his spending at around 6 million max on a player and he will find gems. You could catalogue a number of genuine top quality players that he has signed for pittance. He will also, given time, ensure Stoke are a top ten club.

Some good points made.

Sometimes players need to be brought 'up' from obscurity and be introduced to Hughes' team's methods.

Bringing players in who are already well used to having the best of everything may be less impressed with the same methods.

If Moneyball were a concept which could be applied to football and achieve a level of success then Hughes @ Rovers is about as close as anyone has really got.

Some good points made.

Sometimes players need to be brought 'up' from obscurity and be introduced to Hughes' team's methods.

Bringing players in who are already well used to having the best of everything may be less impressed with the same methods.

If Moneyball were a concept which could be applied to football and achieve a level of success then Hughes @ Rovers is about as close as anyone has really got.

Fishing?

Everton have been using it for years and their transfers have been very strong during that time. Much stronger than hughes record.

Fishing?

Everton have been using it for years and their transfers have been very strong during that time. Much stronger than hughes record.

No, genuine opinion.

Everton have punched their weight and not really achieved any better than anyone would expect. Plus no cup wins. Fair enough they've made some high profile sales but let's not pretend they haven't spent a lot too.

Hughes brought in cast-offs for relatively small fees. He didn't have the kind of purse Moyes did and, looking at it objectively, the only person who's done well out of Everton is the guy who has just left.

In Moneyball terms, Hughes wins for me.

Not a popular choice with the Stoke fans. 'Hughes Out' currently doing the rounds.

Seriously!?!, They've just become the team I most want to get relegated from the Premiership now.

Don't even know they were born...

It depends on which Hughes turns up for the job.

If it's 'hungry and keen to prove a point' Hughes, then expect an organised, hard-working side with a touch of flair and skill.

Mid to upper reaches of the Premiership on a consistent basis.

If it's 'I'm only here because I don't like being on the dole' Hughes, then I can see it heading in the same direction as Fulham and QPR did.

Either way, make sure he takes his coaching and scouting team with him.

Without both of these vital components, he wouldn't have lasted six months at Rovers.

Not a popular choice with the Stoke fans. 'Hughes Out' currently doing the rounds.

I know it's all relative, but I only wish we had their problems!

Who do the Stokies expect? Mourhino? Guardiola?

Isn't it funny how supporters of clubs that for decades can't wash their own face financially soon suffer delusions of grandeur as soon as a sugar daddy traps up to get shot of some funnymunny? Citeh, Chelsea, Pompey, Wigan and now Stoke all think they are better/bigger than they are. Worst of it is that it's a complex that we can all see first hand on this messageboard.

Anyway.... whatever Delilah/stoke...... I'm bloody jealous! Might not be in 10 years when Coates has turned his toes up and his kids have sold you lot to some useless asian dodgepots but I am now!

Archived