BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Areas in Blackburn

Goes into the DW gym in town and someone has pinched over twenty coat hangers from the male changing rooms.

Its very sad times for Blackburn after that I sit in the costa coffee shop in the Mall, and on the table someone has etched their initials into the wood (FLG). When a member of staff was asked about removing the table they just seemed to think that it was acceptable to carry on using the table.

• Replies 741
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Goes into the DW gym in town and someone has pinched over twenty coat hangers from the male changing rooms.

Its very sad times for Blackburn after that I sit in the costa coffee shop in the Mall, and on the table someone has etched their initials into the wood (FLG). When a member of staff was asked about removing the table they just seemed to think that it was acceptable to carry on using the table.

Hardly crimes of the century to be honest, it just sounds like your standards and expectations are a little higher than your average person in this country(to put it politely) :P

Hardly crimes of the century to be honest, it just sounds like your standards and expectations are a little higher than your average person in this country(to put it politely) :P

Thin end of the wedge though

No, no and, err, NO.

Jal is correct to be concerned. The coat hanger loss isn't petty pilfering it's THEFT.

The table in Costa Coffee should have been replaced immediately, instead of a dilatory shrug of the shoulders;. Graffiti breeds.

No, no and, err, NO.

Jal is correct to be concerned. The coat hanger loss isn't petty pilfering it's THEFT.

The table in Costa Coffee should have been replaced immediately, instead of a dilatory shrug of the shoulders;. Graffiti breeds.

correct,, broken window syndrome

Why? Because the same predictable little clique of 5/6 posters like to disagree with me.

Jal issues shouldnt just be an indicment of Blackburn as they are things that happen on a daily basis in every village, town and city in the country.
(also the fact they both happened in horrible chain companies means I feel absolutely no sympathy for them, but that's besides the point and just my very own irrational little prejudice)

Why? Because the same predictable little clique of 5/6 posters like to disagree with me.

Jal issues shouldnt just be an indicment of Blackburn as they are things that happen on a daily basis in every village, town and city in the country.

(also the fact they both happened in horrible chain companies means I feel absolutely no sympathy for them)

Why is DW gym a horrible chain company, what is an acceptable business in your eyes?

If as you say it happens every day everywhere, still does not mean it is right,

Actually it is you who disagrees with other posters,

constantly

Hardly crimes of the century to be honest, it just sounds like your standards and expectations are a little higher than your average person in this country town(to put it politely) :P

Corrected for you. whatever you think they are crimes all the same. The town has too many dollopers and n'er do wells these days. A consequence of 30 years of white flight.

Guest Norbert

The things cited by JAL are small in themselves, but that mentality chips away at the standards of an area or town. You see a lot of litter in the gutter and an old sofa in the street and then someone else drops another chocolate wrapper etc. and it builds up. It is always sad to see a once great building like an old cinema either boarded up or have it's windows smashed. All these little acts build and build and before you know it, you're living in a right dump where the roads are badly maintained, the houses and gardens are run down and dogs are crapping in the street.

The things cited by JAL are small in themselves, but that mentality chips away at the standards of an area or town. You see a lot of litter in the gutter and an old sofa in the street and then someone else drops another chocolate wrapper etc. and it builds up. It is always sad to see a once great building like an old cinema either boarded up or have it's windows smashed. All these little acts build and build and before you know it, you're living in a right dump where the roads are badly maintained, the houses and gardens are run down and dogs are crapping in the street.

I take your point Norbet and I agree to a point, but jal(and a few others on this site) seem to have some kind of chip on their shoulder towards Blackburn and use any little thing they can to denounce the place, when in fact the town is definitely on an upward curve(especially when you compare it to neighbouring towns,etc...) and the little incidents jal mentioned are virtually insignificant to me compared to the kinds of things I so going on around me whilst growing up on shad estate in the 80s/early90s.

p.s. and trust thingodro to bring race issues onto it, again how predictable!

p.p.s yoda, I get a notification when somebody quotes my posts, which I can see you keep doing! I don't read your posts and I've no interest in anything you have to say regarding me, so get over it sweety(your getting as bad as abbey with your fixation with me)

p.p.p.s :rock: I agree that my last p.p.s was a bit petulant, but sometimes its gotta be done, sorry :) (don't judge me, I'm a nice guy really!)

I take your point Norbet and I agree to a point, but jal(and a few others on this site) seem to have some kind of chip on their shoulder towards Blackburn and use any little thing they can to denounce the place, when in fact the town is definitely on an upward curve(especially when you compare it to neighbouring towns,etc...) and the little incidents jal mentioned are virtually insignificant to me compared to the kinds of things I so going on around me whilst growing up on shad estate in the 80s/early90s.

but why is DW gym a bad chain company

• Backroom

Compared to neighbouring towns, it's the same at best and @#/? at worst. I feel more threatened in Bburn than I ever do in Darwen, Accy or Burnley.

It isn't the town's shops or resources that's the problem, it's the scruffs and pillocks that live and waste (rather than work) there.

The scruffs and pillocks in Darwen and Accy are actually a friendly bunch. In Bburn, they usually try to stare you down and 'look hard innit' because you dare to hiccup.

• Backroom

The table thing I think is pretty insignificant myself

Its not nice and should be sorted but not something I would expect the staff too be too worried about or to go out of their way mid service to swap out in a chain coffee shop

Compared to neighbouring towns, it's the same at best and kean at worst. I feel more threatened in Bburn than I ever do in Darwen, Accy or Burnley.

It isn't the town's shops or resources that's the problem, it's the scruffs and pillocks that live and waste (rather than work) there.

The scruffs and pillocks in Darwen and Accy are actually a friendly bunch. In Bburn, they usually try to stare you down and 'look hard innit' because you dare to hiccup.

personally(and please honestly don't take this as an attack/insult) but to me it just sounds like your lacking a bit of confidence if you get intimidated so easily.

I live and work here, as do most people I meet and associate with, every town has its scrotes though.

Its not nice and should be sorted but not something I would expect the staff too be too worried about or to go out of their way mid service to swap out in a chain coffee shop

What would happen in the Auberge in similar circumstances

I take your point Norbet and I agree to a point, but jal(and a few others on this site) seem to have some kind of chip on their shoulder towards Blackburn and use any little thing they can to denounce the place

See that's where you are wrong. I want a Blackburn that my kids can be proud of. The kind of place that accepts graffiti on a high street brand coffee chain table is only going to encourage it by making it 'acceptable'.

Vandalism is not acceptable.

Accepting vandalism as 'normal' is worse.

You really think that the vandalism was only spotted when pointed out by JAL?

We shouldn't be accepting such slum-standards. We should be expecting more. My concern is that the vandals are only outnumbered by the ambivalent.

• Backroom

What would happen in the Auberge in similar circumstances

Auberge and Costa coffee aren't on the same level though

Don't get me wrong it definitely should be sorted but I doubt that the costa there has spare tables on hand as its an open unit in the middle isn't it?

I don't really 'get' vandals, one night I was walking home from the pub in rishton and at the end of my street some numpty had climbed the lamppost and was trying to smash it, I took it as a personal affront being near my house and a few beers down and had a pop at the guy doing it, it ended up that particular guy was just an idiot but there can't be that many people that are just that thick and ignorant. Can there?

Auberge and Costa coffee aren't on the same level though

Don't get me wrong it definitely should be sorted but I doubt that the costa there has spare tables on hand as its an open unit in the middle isn't it?

Therein lies the problem, how can there be different standards for vandalism

it a bloody costa coffee shop for krikes sake the workers are likely over worked and paid minimum wage in a shop that sells overpriced hot drinks and pre packaged snacks, there's no reason for them to give a monkeys, if this 'incident' was to happen somewhere a bit more swankier then I'm sure it would have been dealt with differently.

There was a poster that wrote a very good post last week kind of pointing out that this forum(and rovers fan base) is made up from people of all walks of life, with completely different perspectives and differing priorities in life, so I accept that many people are going to disagree with my thoughts, but jeez do you have to be so self righteous about it(he who is without sin.... and all that!)

it a bloody costa coffee shop for krikes sake the workers are likely over worked and paid minimum wage in a shop that sells overpriced hot drinks and pre packaged snacks, there's no reason for them to give a monkeys, if this 'incident' was to happen somewhere a bit more swankier then I'm sure it would have been dealt with differently.

There was a poster that wrote a very good post last week kind of pointing out that this forum(and rovers fan base) is made up from people of all walks of life, with completely different perspectives and differing priorities in life, so I accept that many people are going to disagree with my thoughts, but jeez do you have to be so self righteous about it(he who is without sin.... and all that!)

So you think vandalizing a table is acceptable, if it belongs to a chain company

• Backroom

Therein lies the problem, how can there be different standards for vandalism

The act of the vandalism no but the way its treat will be different

At a place like the auberge the people working there have pride in a small local place, I doubt the staff at Costa have that pride in the company

Archived