BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Areas in Blackburn

• Replies 741
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wry humour isn't much good when the trapped and isolated locals don't have a local.

It's a slow but steady strangulation of our way of life. I drove into town down Preston New Road with a representative of one of our suppliers from Cumbria two weeks ago and he was totally gobsmacked by what he saw. I've seen him since and he told me that he's related his Blackburn experience to all and sundry since.

Wry humour isn't much good when the trapped and isolated locals don't have a local.

It's a slow but steady strangulation of our way of life. I drove into town down Preston New Road with a representative of one of our suppliers from Cumbria two weeks ago and he was totally gobsmacked by what he saw. I've seen him since and he told me that he's related his Blackburn experience to all and sundry since.

What did he see exactly Gord?

Over 5000 families visited by bailiffs in Blackburn with Darwen over non payment of poll tax. Thats a huge number of people, wonder how many local residents are also in need of food banks to survive in Jack Straws constituency.

good to see that there now seems to be some concrete plans regarding the remaining part of infirmary- http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/news/11044053.Groundbreaking___4_8m_care_home_facility_to_be_built_on_eyesore_Blackburn_Infirmary_site/

sad that it was left to get in such a poor state of repair, but these plans seem about as good as could be hoped for(if they stick to these plans)

one things that seems a little suspect though is that the planned building seems far far smaller than the current building, so what will the remaining land be used for(i'm guessing more so-called 'affordable housing')

good to see that there now seems to be some concrete plans regarding the remaining part of infirmary- http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/news/11044053.Groundbreaking___4_8m_care_home_facility_to_be_built_on_eyesore_Blackburn_Infirmary_site/

sad that it was left to get in such a poor state of repair, but these plans seem about as good as could be hoped for(if they stick to these plans)

one things that seems a little suspect though is that the planned building seems far far smaller than the current building, so what will the remaining land be used for(i'm guessing more so-called 'affordable housing')

I thought that part of the Infirmary was a listed building.

Guessing that's not the case?

Its a Disgraceful decision by Blackburn council to pull down one of Blackburn's outstanding buildings, but if you support this, T.J.then I can understand that Blackburn has no future with you kind of guys around.

All that reduced square footage in an era when this country claims thats its short of buildings you could fit three care homes in the current building plus house all of its staff and still have plenty of space for more homes within the current structure and still outlast the proposed eyesore .

• Backroom

JAL, your view on the old Infirmary building confuses me. You'd rather they renovate a dangerous and delapidated shell (for the sake of heritage) than replace it with a purpose built facility for those who need personal care?

I love heritage and looking at 'Old town' pictures but safety and usefulness come before teary-eyed nostalgia for me.

Darwen has gone about it well, tbh. Apart from that monstrosity on the front of Darwen Swimming Baths. Perv-heaven, that!

Seems to be a theme with Blackburn council though. Allow a building to fall into a state of disrepair through neglect and lack of maintenance and then cite it's state of disrepair as the chief reason for knocking it down.

It's like there is a deliberate attempt to remove any heritage from the town and replace it with pop-up, concertina buildings. There won't be any tradition or roots in the town soon.

Maybe it's all part of the plan. :(

JAL, your view on the old Infirmary building confuses me. You'd rather they renovate a dangerous and delapidated shell (for the sake of heritage) than replace it with a purpose built facility for those who need personal care?

I love heritage and looking at 'Old town' pictures but safety and usefulness come before teary-eyed nostalgia for me.

Darwen has gone about it well, tbh. Apart from that monstrosity on the front of Darwen Swimming Baths. Perv-heaven, that!

haha, I was passing through darwen and noticed that for the 1st time a few weeks ago, who the hell thought that was a good idea, very strange. I thought the idea with a lot of modern swimming baths was to make them more subdued, so people aren't so self conscious in them, darwen have gone the extremely opposite way!

I drove into town down Preston New Road with a representative of one of our suppliers from Cumbria two weeks ago and he was totally gobsmacked by what he saw. I've seen him since and he told me that he's related his Blackburn experience to all and sundry since.

I drove my 6 year old through Grizdale towards Satterthwaite the other week and he was totally gobsmacked by what he saw. When he got back to school he related his Cumbria experience to all his mates. Not a word of a lie ... here we are in 2014 ... and the road was completely blocked by sheep! How do they live like that?

Anyway the reason I popped onto this thread ... thought some of you might be interested in this Blackburn Film. http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PyCMzsQpwIw

I really enjoyed that, thanks for the link, lead actor(Zulf Patel) was really good and charismatic, the sentiment of the film can only be applauded, it was genuinely very funny in places and it was really good seeing soooooooo many blackckburn landmarks from every corner of the town on film, well-done to the makers,

I think it would be a good film to have shown at every school in the town.

Anyway the reason I popped onto this thread ... thought some of you might be interested in this Blackburn Film. http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PyCMzsQpwIw

I watched the linked film with a completely open mind and was very impressed. As another person quoted on the link on youtube, this should be shown in every school in the town. Good find ES.

Seems to be a theme with Blackburn council though. Allow a building to fall into a state of disrepair through neglect and lack of maintenance and then cite it's state of disrepair as the chief reason for knocking it down.

It's like there is a deliberate attempt to remove any heritage from the town and replace it with pop-up, concertina buildings. There won't be any tradition or roots in the town soon.

Maybe it's all part of the plan. :(

It's far from unique to Blackburn Stu. Top of the street in this Yaaarkshire market town is a lovely Victorian building - was really well used till a few years ago when good old Health and Safety decided it needed re-wiring. Been empty and disused ever since, and rather than spend on a re-furb, the local politicians will just wait another year or two till the structure/building gets beyond repair when it'ill be demolished and land sold for housing.

A crying shame.

TJ well they certainly need to as there is a chronic lack of affordable housing and as mentioned before when the council let a building go to rack and ruin it shouldn't happen and it is best to use available land for affordable housing as there is a huge demand for social housing for every property I have bid for there has been 35 people on average going for the same place hopefully now that is coming to an end but it goes to show there is a severe lack of housing in England.

Thanks ES I really enjoyed that film to see so many people from different backgrounds make a film about the different areas in Blackburn I found it very informative it also highlights the fact the council needs to do more to make all areas in blackburn more inclusive.

I really enjoyed that, thanks for the link, lead actor(Zulf Patel) was really good and charismatic, the sentiment of the film can only be applauded, it was genuinely very funny in places and it was really good seeing soooooooo many blackckburn landmarks from every corner of the town on film, well-done to the makers,

I think it would be a good film to have shown at every school in the town.

here here TJ they really should show this film in all of Blackburn's schools.

Archived