BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Areas in Blackburn

• Replies 741
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just had a look at the fantastic bus station that's been built on Ainsworth street what a good job, credit to all involved.

I'll be suprised if there's a better bus station anywhere in the north of England if not the UK, maintenance is key now as to how they look after it.

Just had a look at the fantastic bus station that's been built on Ainsworth street what a good job, credit to all involved.

I'll be suprised if there's a better bus station anywhere in the north of England if not the UK, maintenance is key now as to how they look after it.

Those curves are going take some dusting !

Lets hope they turn up with the keys on time in the mornings to open it in future as well.

• 1 month later...

I used the new bus station for the 1st time today, caught a bus for the 1st time in ages. The bus station is great and working very well.

On the 3rd stop out of town a couple of not so young men got on the bus and sat on two single seats opposite each other and just in front of some similar age women, they all seemed to know each other.

One of the men said to the other

"are you watching the golf when you get home" the reply was

" I would like too but it is on Sky" 1st guy replies

"That bloody Sky, they nick everything, big events like that should be on celestial television !"

and the ladies joined in with the slating and agreeing with where it should be shown. 1st guy then says to the second guy,

" do you want to watch it at mine" 2nd guy replies

"I am not paying to watch that bloody Sky television"

The £6.10 return fare I paid was worth it just for the entertainment, I think I might start getting the bus more often

I am still giggling at what I heard

:lol:

I used to be on a pub quiz team playing against different pub teams in Blackburn.

Many years ago we played The Grapes.

'To The Grapes Team' - How long in feet is the caber in the highland games ?

"You should know this Jack, you watch the Olympics"

• 3 months later...

Blackburn has changed rapidly this last 15 years. I note that the figures always quote 'Blackburn with Darwen', considering Darwen and its environs are largely white, it is then obvious that Blackburn is now 50/50- quite an amazing demographic change in 40 or so years.

For a lot of years post the 1960s, the Asian population was concentrated around mainly terrace areas around Whalley Range, Audley, Brookhouse, Bastwell, Little Harwood etc. This then moved into the Revidge and Shear Brow districts, but still largely in Blackburn's trademark red Brick terrace areas surrounding the town centre, with largely white surbubs and white inner city enclaves like Mill Hill and Infirmary. A classic 'doughnut' effect.

However the last ten years or so has seen the Western/Northern surbubs of Blackburn also see enormous change- Witton, Beardwood, Lammack, Pleckgate (and increasingly Sunnybower). Talking to an estate agent, he said it is now rare to see white families buy houses in these surburbs, areas that were pretty much exclusively white at the turn of the millenium.

This now means that the white population is now increasingly concentrated in the southern/south western surburbs of Pleasington, Cherry Tree, Feniscowles, Livesey, Fernhurst/Ewood and the more 'working class' areas of Mill Hill, Infirmary, Shadsworth and Higher Croft/Roman Road.

Whatever your views are, for a town of Blackburn's middiling size, it really is enermous demographic change in a generation.

A really good article.

One trip home 10 or so years ago I noticed a lot more women walking around completely covered. It fits in with what the journo says.

All in it's a terrible situation. I don't know what can fix it.

Blackburn has changed rapidly this last 15 years. I note that the figures always quote 'Blackburn with Darwen', considering Darwen and its environs are largely white, it is then obvious that Blackburn is now 50/50- quite an amazing demographic change in 40 or so years.

For a lot of years post the 1960s, the Asian population was concentrated around mainly terrace areas around Whalley Range, Audley, Brookhouse, Bastwell, Little Harwood etc. This then moved into the Revidge and Shear Brow districts, but still largely in Blackburn's trademark red Brick terrace areas surrounding the town centre, with largely white surbubs and white inner city enclaves like Mill Hill and Infirmary. A classic 'doughnut' effect.

However the last ten years or so has seen the Western/Northern surbubs of Blackburn also see enormous change- Witton, Beardwood, Lammack, Pleckgate (and increasingly Sunnybower). Talking to an estate agent, he said it is now rare to see white families buy houses in these surburbs, areas that were pretty much exclusively white at the turn of the millenium.

This now means that the white population is now increasingly concentrated in the southern/south western surburbs of Pleasington, Cherry Tree, Feniscowles, Livesey, Fernhurst/Ewood and the more 'working class' areas of Mill Hill, Infirmary, Shadsworth and Higher Croft/Roman Road.

Whatever your views are, for a town of Blackburn's middiling size, it really is enermous demographic change in a generation.

Yes I was having a similar conversation with a bloke from outside the area and when I pointed out to him that all the other places were mentioned in those articles are 2 or 3 times the size of Blackburn it really hit home.

The town itself and it's modest size it has to be unique in England. Leicester & Bradford are massive in comparison. No wonder there is no nightlife now and I think that's gone for good.

I worked briefly with a guy from Audley a few years ago, great lad as sound as you'd meet but he hardly spoke or understood a word of English and he'd lived and worked in Blackburn 4 years. Times change of course but the rate of it in Blackburn itself is worrying for the future identity of the place.

Had to stop reading that halfway through, how thoroughly depressing. Those first 3 blokes he referenced in the article really sum it up. Dangerous fascists with views on non-Muslims that are one step away from genocidal. And, far from ever being challenged in their lives, you almost get the feeling their viewpoint is institutionally encouraged in modern Asian communities. As the article pointed out, the latest generation are even more conservatively religious than the last.

This is what I'll never understand. You've got millions of followers in this country of the most intolerant religion the world has ever known casually spouting their dangerous views. And all the political left want to concentrate on is complaining about Brexiteers, the Daily Mail and Donald Trump.

If threats to our way of life are put in their real order, Islam would be the runaway leader with the ghastly Brexiteers a speck on the chart. But waking up and applying a sense of perspective apparently makes you a racist. So it's harder to do and that's what it comes down to, people being scared. Despite the claims, there's nothing scary about Trump which is why he's such a comfortable target to attack.

I noticed that on my walk down memory lanes several weeks ago.

One other thing that shocked me was how filthy the area around St Mary's college (which I considered to be a 'decent area' back in the 90's) has become. Rubbish all over the streets and a few of the gardens in the houses opposite look little more than refuse tips.

I heard the rugby club (off Yew Tree drive) ground has been sold and they are going to build 450 houses on it. I suspect it's going to become an 'immigrant estate' as I can't imagine the opposite of white flight happening in 'Northern Blackburn'. Winter is Coming!

Winter isn't just coming it's set in. We are in an ice age.

The whole town is a sorry state. It really depresses me every time I go in. In the 90s there was a thriving nightlife and some decent shops to boot, now there's no nightlife and most pubs seem to be closed or dead. The centre is pretty much just pound shops with zero decent retailers. Next is about as good as it gets which says it all.

They tried with the "mall" but even that is mostly empty space now presumably offered low rates to start off then raised it and shops upped and left.

Mellor is about the only decent part of Blackburn to live and even that may technically be in the Ribble valley.

Had to stop reading that halfway through, how thoroughly depressing. Those first 3 blokes he referenced in the article really sum it up. Dangerous fascists with views on non-Muslims that are one step away from genocidal. And, far from ever being challenged in their lives, you almost get the feeling their viewpoint is institutionally encouraged in modern Asian communities. As the article pointed out, the latest generation are even more conservatively religious than the last.

This is what I'll never understand. You've got millions of followers in this country of the most intolerant religion the world has ever known casually spouting their dangerous views. And all the political left want to concentrate on is complaining about Brexiteers, the Daily Mail and Donald Trump.

If threats to our way of life are put in their real order, Islam would be the runaway leader with the ghastly Brexiteers a speck on the chart. But waking up and applying a sense of perspective apparently makes you a racist. So it's harder to do and that's what it comes down to, people being scared. Despite the claims, there's nothing scary about Trump which is why he's such a comfortable target to attack.

Spot on son. Dig up Hitler, picked on the wrong race. (Thanks Bernard)

Winter isn't just coming it's set in. We are in an ice age.

The whole town is a sorry state. It really depresses me every time I go in. In the 90s there was a thriving nightlife and some decent shops to boot, now there's no nightlife and most pubs seem to be closed or dead. The centre is pretty much just pound shops with zero decent retailers. Next is about as good as it gets which says it all.

They tried with the "mall" but even that is mostly empty space now presumably offered low rates to start off then raised it and shops upped and left.

Mellor is about the only decent part of Blackburn to live and even that may technically be in the Ribble valley.

The thought of moving back to Blackburn after my contract expires thoroughly depresses me. So much so that I would even consider a contract in . . er. . Saudi (lol).

Mellor is indeed not considered part of Blackburn and incidentally the only reason they are not taking all of the green land to build even more houses there (Yew Tree Drive/Rigby club) is that the Blackburn border line only runs half way up (I saw the housing plan). I kind of feel sorry for those guys that live on that road - as their view across the valley.....well . . .time to say goodbye to that. But that's population increase for you.

As for the improvements to Blackburn town centre. They are hard to see - apart from not having to go to Preston to visit Primark :blush:

• 2 weeks later...

Good article Philip, Ive been saying for a long time that we need to abandon HS2 and look at improving the local and cross penine transport systems. The money being spent to redevelop the Houses of Parliament could have been used to build a new centre more geographically central, whilst also saving money, dragging investment out of crowded London, and meaning that the bill for second mortgages the tax payer foots the bill for, would be reduced.

Good article Philip, Ive been saying for a long time that we need to abandon HS2 and look at improving the local and cross penine transport systems. The money being spent to redevelop the Houses of Parliament could have been used to build a new centre more geographically central, whilst also saving money, dragging investment out of crowded London, and meaning that the bill for second mortgages the tax payer foots the bill for, would be reduced.

The political elite and Europhiles would never go for that.

It's about time the elite admitted that Manchester is the UK's second city and invested as such and not rely on Chinese money (Airport City development)

This has been happening for generations and the Guardian ( joke of a newspaper ) is just making a meal out of " the science of the bleeding obvious" Both parties have done next to nothing to arrest it. As Baz said we need to move government out of London , but I'd still do the essential renovations on the Palace of Westminster , then sell it to the private sector who could turn it into a museum/tourist attraction/ apartments/entertainment complex/ hotel etc.

As Al says, the political elite and supporters of the EU would give short shrift to this . The incredible growth in London and the South East hasn't helped the rest of the country. I've long suspected that joining the Common Market and becoming more Europe facing and deserting our old Commonwealth partners and friends, further exacerbated the north / south divide.

For those that bang on about us ( the north ) v them ( the south ), this makes interesting reading ( albeit slightly dated)

http://cep.lse.ac.uk/pubs/download/CP163.pdf

Archived