BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Areas in Blackburn

The Blackburn night life thing is a bit of a vicous circle. There's no bars open, so people won't go. Nobody will open a bar because there's no people.

There needs to be some investment in which numerous venues are opened at the same time, doesn't sound too likely.

The fact that Darwen is absolutely rammed full of Blackburners on a weekend is a very strange state of affairs.

• Replies 741
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderation Lead

The Blackburn night life thing is a bit of a vicous circle. There's no bars open, so people won't go. Nobody will open a bar because there's no people.

There needs to be some investment in which numerous venues are opened at the same time, doesn't sound too likely.

The fact that Darwen is absolutely rammed full of Blackburners on a weekend is a very strange state of affairs.

I can recall not even that long ago when it was heaving, but then the closure of all the bars seemed so sudden you could be forgiven for thinking it was deliberate.

I heard a half-baked rumour that the council told the bars they were increasing their rates, and the bars said 'do that and we're gone', and the rest is history.

Probably nonsense like, but the whole death of the nightlife seems so strange, and it's nothing to do with demographics imo . Plenty of people travelled from Hyndburn (like myself) and neighbouring towns/boroughs to Blackburn when the nightlife was booming!!

Its sadly become pointless even trying to open a nice bar, club or restaurant in the town centre, there's way to many moronic idiots, Pishheads and junkies in this town, they spoil everything and cant handle seeing nice normal folk enjoying themselves.

They have always been there TJ, now they stand out more without the normal folk around

I know its maybe not the best comparison, but Altrincham recently did a major refurb on their market (which is small but now a thing of beauty) and that seems to have kicked off a massive regeneration of pubs, restaurants and bars in the town. It was a real dump 10 years ago but now really kicking on. People travelling from all over Cheshire and from manc to visit

I know Altrincham is on the Manc Metro, got a lot of money around it in Hale and Alderly Edge etc, and v near the airport. However they attracted much less of that until tha market opened up.

A single key well done development that brings people across to see it can make a huge difference. Not seen the Cathedral development. Maybe that can be Blackburn's?

PS. Also amazed to see JAL has said something positive on the board!!!!!!!!

Blackburn as a town centre is doing very well indeed, after Primark hit the town along with the new market and now cathedral quarter the place is booming in terms of foot fall during the day.

The nightlife is dead, it's been dead for years and I'm not sure it'll ever come back. But do you think it needs to come back withDarwen doing so well? I don't think it does, if you want to shop go to Bburn, if you want a night out go to Darwen.

Job done.

Blackburn as a town centre is doing very well indeed, after Primark hit the town along with the new market and now cathedral quarter the place is booming in terms of foot fall during the day.

The nightlife is dead, it's been dead for years and I'm not sure it'll ever come back. But do you think it needs to come back withDarwen doing so well? I don't think it does, if you want to shop go to Bburn, if you want a night out go to Darwen.

Job done.

I concur, Darren is the centre of the cultural and academic universe.

:lol:

Job done.

Yeah, go to Darwen at night and get a good pasting by stone island wearing nobs.. Sounds good to me..

Yeah, go to Darwen at night and get a good pasting by stone island wearing nobs.. Sounds good to me..

To be honest you'd get a good hiding in most places if the way you post is a reflection on how you act in everyday life.

• Moderation Lead

It just makes sense for convenience having everything centralised. So there's less of a trek between venues, which in turn maximises revenue and gives these places the best chance of keeping going.

Though granted, I rarely venture beyond my local pub generally speaking!

They have always been there TJ, now they stand out more without the normal folk around

It doesn't help the town centre in the evenings with the low energy street lamps that go to creating an unsafe atmosphere with the low, 'shadowy' lighting and very few people around.

It doesn't help the town centre in the evenings with the low energy street lamps that go to creating an unsafe atmosphere with the low, 'shadowy' lighting and very few people around.

They should be installing LED lighting by now, the ones around us are brilliant

To be honest you'd get a good hiding in most places if the way you post is a reflection on how you act in everyday life.

In 24 years of living in Blackburn, I've been attacked totally unprovocked once at feni 20 years ago.. Fractured cheekbone with a plank of wood..

Not stupid enough to walk into a similar situation again..

This notion that Blackburn town centre(or any town centre) should have nightlife is a bit outdated in my opinion

Judging by the hoards that head up to Darwen now I would venture your opinion a tad off the mark. A night out in Blackburn was always good, admittedly twenty years ago. Now tumbleweed rolls through the town centre after 7pm and I wonder why ? 35 to 40% of the towns population don't drink (in public) and the pubs have closed down (or have been bought and converted - Revidge anyone ?).

Had some great nights in the past at Yates' Wine Lodge, Jubilee, Vulcan, Peps, Toffs, Mr G's, St John's Tavern, Borough, Grapes, Courts, Coconut Grove etc etc. Pretty much all gone now so the locals have voted with their feet and taken taxis up Bolton Road.

What a shame.

In 24 years of living in Blackburn, I've been attacked totally unprovocked once at feni 20 years ago.. Fractured cheekbone with a plank of wood..

Not stupid enough to walk into a similar situation again..

Middle class and pensioners in Feni, you'd have to have gone out your way to even wake them up let alone upset them.

• Moderation Lead

Judging by the hoards that head up to Darwen now I would venture your opinion a tad off the mark. A night out in Blackburn was always good, admittedly twenty years ago. Now tumbleweed rolls through the town centre after 7pm and I wonder why ? 35 to 40% of the towns population don't drink (in public) and the pubs have closed down (or have been bought and converted - Revidge anyone ?).

Had some great nights in the past at Yates' Wine Lodge, Jubilee, Vulcan, Peps, Toffs, Mr G's, St John's Tavern, Borough, Grapes, Courts, Coconut Grove etc etc. Pretty much all gone now so the locals have voted with their feet and taken taxis up Bolton Road.

What a shame.

Demographics in Accy are similar, and Accy is smaller yet that sustains a nightlife....

People from outside the town (I.e. me and others), would travel to Blackburn for a a night out, so it's more than sustainable.

Archived