BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Areas in Blackburn

They should be installing LED lighting by now, the ones around us are brilliant

they've been installed in my area also, I'm not a fan, they're too bright, especially when the street light is directly in front of your house and they illuminate through your windows lighting all the inside of the house up.

Also just a little rant whilst we're on lighting, why do a lot of cars now have blinding bright headlights, are these factory fitted or do the owners fit them themselves just to be self centred dicks? Its worst when they're on 4x4's because with them being higher up they shine directly into your eyes when they're oncoming and also right into your rear view mirror when they're behind you, they're just so unnecessary.

• Replies 741
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Judging by the hoards that head up to Darwen now I would venture your opinion a tad off the mark. A night out in Blackburn was always good, admittedly twenty years ago. Now tumbleweed rolls through the town centre after 7pm and I wonder why ? 35 to 40% of the towns population don't drink (in public) and the pubs have closed down (or have been bought and converted - Revidge anyone ?).

Had some great nights in the past at Yates' Wine Lodge, Jubilee, Vulcan, Peps, Toffs, Mr G's, St John's Tavern, Borough, Grapes, Courts, Coconut Grove etc etc. Pretty much all gone now so the locals have voted with their feet and taken taxis up Bolton Road.

What a shame.

The nightlife in blackburn may have been a lot busier pre-00s but it was still full of knobheads just looking for trouble and most of the pubs and clubs where tacky dumps really, I think a lot of peoples memories of that period are just tainted by nostalgia because they where young/er at the time.

Also young people(18-25) should be the ones making up the bulk of any weekend nightlife, but i think cultures changed in recent years, simply just going out and getting Pished for the sake of it on a friday&saturday night is a bit old hat.

The nightlife in blackburn may have been a lot busier pre-00s but it was still full of knobheads just looking for trouble and most of the pubs and clubs where tacky dumps really, I think a lot of peoples memories of that period are just tainted by nostalgia because they where young/er at the time.

Also young people(18-25) should be the ones making up the bulk of any weekend nightlife, but i think cultures changed in recent years, simply just going out and getting Pished for the sake of it on a friday&saturday night is a bit old hat.

I have to disagree with your assessment. I was out regularly in Blackburn throughout the 1990's. Pubs all over town were packed every Friday and Saturday. I can count on one hand the times I saw trouble.

Caveat; I was never there on Mad Friday. I stayed closer to home that day.

• Moderation Lead

I have to disagree with your assessment. I was out regularly in Blackburn throughout the 1990's. Pubs all over town were packed every Friday and Saturday. I can count on one hand the times I saw trouble.

That's a good rule of thumb for Mad Friday! It's full of once a year goons wherever you go that sup all day then boot off by the end of the night.

Stick to the local pubs, where you can actually get served.

I'd agree with this having spent most weekends down Blackburn in the 90's. We used to do Chorley, Bolton, Preston quite a bit as well and found them all far rougher and less friendly than nights around Blackburn. Maybe some of the big rave culture carried over from the late 80's had a bearing on it same as with the hoolie scene at footy, people hell bent on aggro would go somewhere else in search of it.

That's a good rule of thumb for Mad Friday! It's full of once a year goons wherever you go that sup all day then boot off by the end of the night.

Stick to the local pubs, where you can actually get served.

Same with New Year's Eve. Ironically it seems to be when the people who don't go out drinking every week (the sensible people I suppose one could argue) are out, the number of fights goes up massively. Possibly a good argument for why everyone should spend their Saturday nights in Blackburn building up their alcohol tolerance :)

• Moderation Lead

Same with New Year's Eve. Ironically it seems to be when the people who don't go out drinking every week (the sensible people I suppose one could argue) are out, the number of fights goes up massively. Possibly a good argument for why everyone should spend their Saturday nights in Blackburn building up their alcohol tolerance :)

Not touched New Year's Eve around here since I was about 19. House Parties or being away from here is the way forward!

I assume you mean the Railway Hotel, classy place.

Actually I meant the Top Hat Club, the Railway Hotel was quite a way behind that particular establishment :)

they've been installed in my area also, I'm not a fan, they're too bright, especially when the street light is directly in front of your house and they illuminate through your windows lighting all the inside of the house up.

Also just a little rant whilst we're on lighting, why do a lot of cars now have blinding bright headlights, are these factory fitted or do the owners fit them themselves just to be self centred dicks? Its worst when they're on 4x4's because with them being higher up they shine directly into your eyes when they're oncoming and also right into your rear view mirror when they're behind you, they're just so unnecessary.

Buy some curtains TJ,

The car lights are set wrong if they blind you, probably the manual adjustment has been set to high, you see a few like that. Obviously the owners don't care about blinding oncoming traffic, until they crash into them

Totally agree on car headlights, it's similar to the rise in popularity of 4x4s in my opinion, both quite selfish behaviour when it comes down to it. Ultra-bright beams mean I can see better and screw the people I might cause to crash. And massive car means I'm totally fine in a crash and screw the other person who might die because they've collided with a significantly heavier vehicle.

You would have probably lasted all of 10 seconds in the flying bottle with your attitude

:D

Ahhh... the flying bottle (Railway).

Once went in there after a 6-2 shift and the place was pretty much half full with the usual clientele. Anyway, one of Darren's finest females was having a slight disagreement with a bloke and then turned on her heels and shouted back "Alan...have you sh***ed me?" to which "Alan" responded "Yeah". She then turned to the bloke she was arguing with and said "See,I told you"

No-one batted an eyelid.

Ahhh... the flying bottle (Railway).

Once went in there after a 6-2 shift and the place was pretty much half full with the usual clientele. Anyway, one of Darren's finest females was having a slight disagreement with a bloke and then turned on her heels and shouted back "Alan...have you sh***ed me?" to which "Alan" responded "Yeah and there were 10 others at it at the same time". She then turned to the bloke she was arguing with and said "See,I told you"

No-one batted an eyelid.

edited for the real flying bottle version

• Backroom

Did I imagine seeing that just now whilst driving through ewood or is what formerly was the "Ewood Arms" really opening up as a pole dancing club/bar??? because that's what the new window displays and privacy screens make it seem like.

I thought it was meant to be a photo studio doing canvases and the like

Alex Harvey is my Fav too.

.Recommend SAHB at the BBC either as a CD or Download and his performances in concert and espec on OGWT which you can watch on You tube..,Framed filmed at an American outdoor concert is my fav.film footage of him

Is there any footage of the gig at Swansea football ground when the Who were the headline act, SAHB blew the Who away and the crowd chanted for them to come back when the Who started their set,

Great weekend out was that, the organisers stopped people taking cans into the stadium for some reason, so some savvy kids started selling polythene bags and everyone emptied the cans into the bags and got into the stadium with polythene bags full of beer

Archived