BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Areas in Blackburn

The Seeker came on the radio this morning, made going into work for 730 a lot easier!

I used to go to the Mathew St Festival in Liverpool. They sometimes had a tribute band on there called " The Maximum Who " . What a great band. They'd start off with " I Can't Explain " and just go right through every hit. It was like seeing the real Who but the size of the venues made it much more personal. A much younger mate of mine came along to one of their gigs, he was down the front pogoing around like a maniac.

When I met up with him outside after the gig was over he was soaking wet with sweat. He said " Tyrone, that's the best gig I've been to for ages ".

• Replies 741
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Backroom

Did I imagine seeing that just now whilst driving through ewood or is what formerly was the "Ewood Arms" really opening up as a pole dancing club/bar??? because that's what the new window displays and privacy screens make it seem like.

One of the local business owners down there told me it actually is a lap dancers.

It's a good job I have a policy of supporting local businesses

Who footage at Swamsea 1976 but not SAHB.

That's a shame, part of the stage came out into the audience, at one point Alex with the band came out to the front of it, sort of in unison with the band as some exotic creature and Alex looked directly down at where we were, they were performing Next, I remember thinking WOW these guys could intimidate anyone, he had the stadium in the palm of his hands that day. It inspired my mate to start a band lol

that Wadrup fella seems a right arrogant toss pot, one thing i cant stand is a jumped up coke head, glad to see his life is falling apart, maybe he will learn a little humility

• 3 weeks later...

Just been in the town centre for the first time in ages. I'm pleasantly surprised by The Mall which seems, brighter, cleaner and better signposted than I remember. For 9.30 the shops seemed to be getting busy.

I've always thought the bus and railway station being adjacent was a positive thing but it now seems moving the bus station makes sense. I imagine the majority of local shoppers using public transport come by bus. Delivering them directly opposite The Mall makes sense. I suspect local shoppers arriving by bus outnumber people arriving by train and needing a bus connection by some distance.

To really apreciate how good Blackburn centre is you only have to look around near by towns and see what a mess they are(Burnley, accrington, preston, darwen

..) Our town has lost some of its original character in the process but thats the price you pay and the work that has been done in and around the town centre should have been done more eficiently(time & money wise) but at least its been done. Yes yes theres no nightlife in the town centre, but thats more of a social issue, im sure there are many business owners that would love to open pubs and clubs in Blackburn if they thought they'd attract decent people and make a profit.

To really apreciate how good Blackburn centre is you only have to look around near by towns and see what a mess they are(Burnley, accrington, preston, darwen

..) Our town has lost some of its original character in the process but thats the price you pay and the work that has been done in and around the town centre should have been done more eficiently(time & money wise) but at least its been done. Yes yes theres no nightlife in the town centre, but thats more of a social issue, im sure there are many business owners that would love to open pubs and clubs in Blackburn if they thought they'd attract decent people and make a profit.

The new Cathedral quarter looks very good, hope it works as no one as yet has taken out any leases.

Only the Hotel is up and running

• 1 month later...

We had a rare night out in Blackburn on Saturday. Invited 4 of my wife's relations over from Leeds for " Soul Night " at King Georges Hall. Great night as always , although sadly not as popular as it used to be, but still fills the upstairs Concert room and Blakeys , playing Northern Soul and R&B respectively. Our guests stayed at the Premier Inn in the Cathedral Quarter and were really impressed by the whole development . They were told the hotel was 80% full, the vast majority attending soul night. We went to the Times Bar across from KGH for pre - dance drinks. Yes, there were one or two " characters " in there ,but generally a good crowd .

A good night out was had by all !

You are ok in Blackburn for an event and a drink or two.

Unfortunately there just aren't enough bars for a 'night out'.

Not enough people going drinking- so no new bars will open

No new bars- enough people won't go drinking

Tough to overcome that vicious circle.

You are ok in Blackburn for an event and a drink or two.

Unfortunately there just aren't enough bars for a 'night out'.

Not enough people going drinking- so no new bars will open

No new bars- enough people won't go drinking

Tough to overcome that vicious circle.

Yes you're right. We only go out into Blackburn when there's something on at KGH. Usually the " Soul Nights " which tend to attract a lot of out of towners ( we also meet some friends who come from Liverpool) , and the " Mecca Nights " which attract a more local crowd.

If King Georges Hall closed that really would be the end

• Moderation Lead

It's right enough during the day, just at night there's the issue on the whole. I said it at the time, but there's the appetite for a nightlife and The Courteeners gig on a Monday night and a packed out Live Lounge afterwards showed that.

It's right enough during the day, just at night there's the issue on the whole. I said it at the time, but there's the appetite for a nightlife and The Courteeners gig on a Monday night and a packed out Live Lounge afterwards showed that.

Agreed with that - I wouldn't dream on going to Blackburn for a night out! Like you said, the appetite is there.

• Moderation Lead

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/news/14265675.Man_arrested_after_attempted_knife_point_robbery_at_Blackburn_store/- tell you what, not sure if it's just me, but there seem to be a lot of these robberies/attempted robberies these days. (Not just in Blackburn, but in the wider local area also).

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/news/14262797._Blackburn_has_changed__People_can___t_leave_their_doors_open____community_reacts_to_Mall_break_in/- some confused people have been interviewed here. 'Busker Callum Fox, 20, of Primrose Bank, Blackburn, said: “It’s just surprising that someone would have the bottle to do that in the town centre where there’s young children about in a place where you’re meant to feel safe'. It happened at about 2.30am!!

Archived