BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Areas in Blackburn

• Replies 741
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderation Lead

It's a start Stuart, I agree. 53 comments on that article. I won't read them either, utterly hateful rubbish on the comments section. I've seen more enlightened Nazis...

Yes I really do hope so. This news following on from the plans to redevelop the Cotton Exchange should gives all us Blackburnians hope for the future. I was disappointed that the night life was allowed to disappear , granted for a variety of reasons , but I think the Council is trying. If you look at other town centres, Preston , Burnley , Accrington in my opinion they aren't a patch on Blackburn. Once the Bus Station is finished we'll have a smart , compact " town centre" We just need some decent restaurants , pubs and bars. Hope it happens , let's be optimistic !

• Moderation Lead

O sorry, I understand why my post was deleted, your not allowed to say exactly what you think , you can only beat around the bush on here.

Of course you can't say exactly what you think if exactly what you think includes insults! You just have to moderate what you say if that's the case. I tried to send you a PM about it to explain, but it looks like you don't have that facility, so my explanation is here! :rover:

Sorry but I just don't like continuously reading comments from certain posters that are just bs, id actually respect racially or culturally prejudice people more if they had the balls to say exactly what they think instead of hiding their feelings behind things like refusal to eat halal, etc..

• Moderation Lead

Sorry but I just don't like continuously reading comments from certain posters that are just bs, id actually respect racially or culturally prejudice people more if they had the balls to say exactly what they think instead of hiding their feelings behind things like refusal to eat halal, etc..

Well, that's your view, but sometimes posts are removed to prevent arguments from escalating as that's the last thing that's needed on here!

Why is it 'BS' to refuse to eat cruelly slaughtered animals via the 'culture' of halal or kosher for that matter.? If halal and kosher are cultural practices and most certainly cruel then yes, I'm culturally prejudiced and absolutely proud of it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderation Lead

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/news/14265675.Man_arrested_after_attempted_knife_point_robbery_at_Blackburn_store/- tell you what, not sure if it's just me, but there seem to be a lot of these robberies/attempted robberies these days. (Not just in Blackburn, but in the wider local area also).

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/news/14262797._Blackburn_has_changed__People_can___t_leave_their_doors_open____community_reacts_to_Mall_break_in/- some confused people have been interviewed here. 'Busker Callum Fox, 20, of Primrose Bank, Blackburn, said: “It’s just surprising that someone would have the bottle to do that in the town centre where there’s young children about in a place where you’re meant to feel safe'. It happened at about 2.30am!!

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/news/14293374.Police_launch_manhunt_after_raiders_threaten_Blackburn_shop_owner_with_axe/

And another one. They made off with the princely sum of £30....

• 2 months later...

Just had a ride over to Whitebirk, thought I'd check out Currys, see if anything took my fancy. Shop's shut for refurbishment as PC World is closing, both the same company I suppose but a bit of a let down.

I think PC World is moving into the Currys unit. To be honest it was one of the few sites where they were separate.

Really hope that somebody final sees sense and removes the 'bulky goods only' arrangements from Whitebirk. It could be thriving it it were more like Deepdale or Middlebrook. The bureaucrats in Hyndburn council are to blame. Something about not wanting to take trade away from Accrington town centre. That worked out well. Everyone went to Deepdale and Middlebrook instead. You have to wonder what these people get paid to do - same with town planners and highways. If they were on a bonus related salary based on the success of their projects they would do things very differently I'm sure.

Meanwhile across the roundabout from the shell-of-a-retail-park at Whitebirk, EuroGarages have just bought the land and are going to build a retail park of some sort. Good luck to them as they are Blackburn guys but with a bit of imagination it wouldn't be necessary given the prime area just off the motorway.

If only the public monies were used with a bit of entrepreneurialism to actually generate income rather than seeing themselves only as a spending machine for 'public good'. It's a self-perception (granted, probably an enforced one) which is preventing UK PLC from actually making money and instead only looking at cuts.

Regarding the EuroGarages site, I heard that they plan to open a hotel there too. Not sure if true or not, I'd imagine it's just going to be the standard identikit garages you see everywhere these days (Subway, Costa etc).

I think PC World is moving into the Currys unit. To be honest it was one of the few sites where they were separate.

Really hope that somebody final sees sense and removes the 'bulky goods only' arrangements from Whitebirk. It could be thriving it it were more like Deepdale or Middlebrook. The bureaucrats in Hyndburn council are to blame. Something about not wanting to take trade away from Accrington town centre. That worked out well. Everyone went to Deepdale and Middlebrook instead. You have to wonder what these people get paid to do - same with town planners and highways. If they were on a bonus related salary based on the success of their projects they would do things very differently I'm sure.

Meanwhile across the roundabout from the shell-of-a-retail-park at Whitebirk, EuroGarages have just bought the land and are going to build a retail park of some sort. Good luck to them as they are Blackburn guys but with a bit of imagination it wouldn't be necessary given the prime area just off the motorway.

If only the public monies were used with a bit of entrepreneurialism to actually generate income rather than seeing themselves only as a spending machine for 'public good'. It's a self-perception (granted, probably an enforced one) which is preventing UK PLC from actually making money and instead only looking at cuts.

What i dont get about peel centre supposedly only to be able to have bulky goods outlets at the whiteberk site is that the stores that are there now and that have been there for the last 20 years or so aren't necessarily bulky goods stores, currys, smiths toy store, b&m bargains(also dixons and focus in the past) so whats the dilly yo?

As for euro garages, they're a blackburn company that are making a fortune, so fair play to them

• 2 weeks later...

Good God, are there any pubs left in Blackburn? For the most part though, it's a case of use them or lose them!

Better support the Bay then or you'll be joining me for the cheaper beer in the Village Club. ^_^

Archived