BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Areas in Blackburn

• Replies 741
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As a child my mother used that as bribery to get me to go shopping with her.

You can get them around the King St area I believe.

maybe your grandfather wasn't very good at it.

I actually remember really liking his, but when i tried some recently from botany bay(i think it was) it was pretty medicinal in taste.

I might well agree as tastes do change with age..... sprouts / cabbage / spinach were the food of the devil when I was young but I like them all now. Odd thing though I still have never found better tasting pop than Dandelion and Burdock! If some yank had invented it the world would never have heard of Coke.

I might well agree as tastes do change with age..... sprouts / cabbage / spinach were the food of the devil when I was young but I like them all now. Odd thing though I still have never found better tasting pop than Dandelion and Burdock! If some yank had invented it the world would never have heard of Coke.

Dandelion & Burdock along with Vimto a rare treat over this way nowadays with 15 mile trip to the British food shop , used to go to Heysham a lot when i was a kid to my Gran and Grandads caravan and always remember loving the nettle beer from the market that they produced locally, despite the name non alcoholic. and they also used to sell a Dandelion and Burdock cordial that was really tasty.

Agree about tastes changing but some things just evoke great memories of times as a kid.

Also remember buying sasparella sticks from Walsh's and sticking them in a jar of water to make my own drink, tasted crap !

The fizzy sasperella delivered by the 'pop man'(do they still exist) was great,as was the cream soda.

A lot of the pound shop type places sell all these clasic "retro" fizzy drinks, if you keep your eyes peeled(theyre usually hidden amongst the stacks of the usual pound shop type junk.

I keep meaning to have a go at making my own alcholic dandelion and burduck from scratch but im never 100% sure which plants are burdock plants.

I made an alcoholic ginger beer from scratch last year that i thought came out really well for a first attempt.

Dandelion & Burdock along with Vimto a rare treat over this way nowadays with 15 mile trip to the British food shop , used to go to Heysham a lot when i was a kid to my Gran and Grandads caravan and always remember loving the nettle beer from the market that they produced locally, despite the name non alcoholic. and they also used to sell a Dandelion and Burdock cordial that was really tasty.

Agree about tastes changing but some things just evoke great memories of times as a kid.

Also remember buying sasparella sticks from Walsh's and sticking them in a jar of water to make my own drink, tasted crap !

That nettle beer is good stuff, you can still get it.

Peoples taste buds are effected by smoking, never touch them myself.

• 2 weeks later...

Not technically Blackburn .. But it's good to see some honest young lads . Stepdaughter lost her phone in a taxi last night . Betty's actually denied picking her up (she uses them to get to work as well ) anyway we rang the number and a lad answered and he was trying to get her . Just picked it up in Sabden .

Not technically Blackburn .. But it's good to see some honest young lads . Stepdaughter lost her phone in a taxi last night . Betty's actually denied picking her up (she uses them to get to work as well ) anyway we rang the number and a lad answered and he was trying to get her . Just picked it up in Sabden .

The taxi firm are obviously t0ssers, but its good to know not everyones on the make, all credit to the lad :tu:

I still go through the should 'I/shouldn't I' dilemma about whether to post or not sometimes. In case I get mobbed, contribute to a debate that gets personal or just out of hand etc. etc.

However, I couldn't resist posting this review of Blackburn. Only a bit tongue in cheek, Blackburn actually comes out a lot better than some of the other local towns and cities. At least baseball bats aren't mentioned. :blink:

http://www.ilivehere.co.uk/blackburn-2.html

As some are aware I don't live in Blackburn anymore due to work commitments, but I am and always will be very proud to come from the town, its a great place to live.

We're so lucky to have an abundance of great pubs and restaurants in and around the town, the countryside on our doorstep, one of the best cities in Europe on 45 minutes away, the seaside, lake district and dales less than an hour away.

House prices are some of the cheapest in the country, busy town centre during the day and great venue in King Georges Hall, only thing missing is a decent nightlife, but thats not just a Blackburn issue its a national issue.

Now we'll get the usual suspects coming on with the usual claptrap, but I couldn't careless what they say, I loved living in Blackburn and will return when the times right.

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/shortcuts/2015/aug/25/why-blackburn-really-is-the-best-place-in-britain-to-make-a-living

Wayne Hemingway piece. I suppose it's easy to knock him if he doesn't live in the town but he's always fiercely loyal to Blackburn. Fair play.

Spot the dingle in the comments section

Great photos in that piece blueboy, love the 80's one especially.

• Backroom

As some are aware I don't live in Blackburn anymore due to work commitments, but I am and always will be very proud to come from the town, its a great place to live.

We're so lucky to have an abundance of great pubs and restaurants in and around the town, the countryside on our doorstep, one of the best cities in Europe on 45 minutes away, the seaside, lake district and dales less than an hour away.

House prices are some of the cheapest in the country, busy town centre during the day and great venue in King Georges Hall, only thing missing is a decent nightlife, but thats not just a Blackburn issue its a national issue.

Now we'll get the usual suspects coming on with the usual claptrap, but I couldn't careless what they say, I loved living in Blackburn and will return when the times right.

I agree but still reckon Darwen is better due to nightlife. And everything in your post applies too :P

• Moderation Lead

Darwen is Blackburns nightlife.

I wouldn't want to live there though(working there is bad enough) absolutely nothing to do in the town other than drink, which is likely why the pubs there are still doing OK(and that's not even a joke)

There are plenty of places to go out to eat (again putting Blackburn to shame), must admit I'd have no issue living there, 30 minutes or so on the train away from Manchester, good motorway links, and some actual pubs in the town centre!

Darwen is Blackburns nightlife.

I wouldn't want to live there though(working there is bad enough) absolutely nothing to do in the town other than drink, which is likely why the pubs there are still doing OK(and that's not even a joke)

Darwen has some great parks, the tower, leisure center and Library theatre just off the top of my head.

Obviously those won't suit everyone I know, but its hardly a ghost town with nowt to do.

There are plenty of places to go out to eat (again putting Blackburn to shame), must admit I'd have no issue living there, 30 minutes or so on the train away from Manchester, good motorway links, and some actual pubs in the town centre!

I had this out with Yoda not to long ago as I think pubs and restaurants outside of the boundary still serve Blackburn, so places like Northcote Manor (Not my scene really), Yu and You (Best Chinese outside Manchester), Naga at Abbey Village and then we have Oyster and Otter, Great Village at Holly Tree, Royal oak at Riley Green, are all whats good about living in Blackburn.

I've not included Darwens eateries but they've an abundance also!

I had this out with Yoda not to long ago as I think pubs and restaurants outside of the boundary still serve Blackburn, so places like Northcote Manor (Not my scene really), Yu and You (Best Chinese outside Manchester), Naga at Abbey Village and then we have Oyster and Otter, Great Village at Holly Tree, Royal oak at Riley Green, are all whats good about living in Blackburn.

I've not included Darwens eateries but they've an abundance also!

Nice bit of name dropping there GAV :)

I seem to remember your point of view only became valid when you included the eateries outside of Blackburn, ie RV, the interlands between Blackburn and Preston and one or two commendable places in Darwen.

Nice bit of name dropping there GAV :)

I seem to remember your point of view only became valid when you included the eateries outside of Blackburn, ie RV, the interlands between Blackburn and Preston and one or two commendable places in Darwen.

Absolutely pal, but I think living in Blackburn gives you access to plenty of good places to eat In the town itself but also a multitude of great places around the immediate area which includes Astley Village!

Archived