BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Renovation of the Royal Infirmary

Keep driving past the magnificent Royal Infirmary building and still have not seen any progress being made on the redevelopment of this fine outstanding Victorian building.

When we see work being carried out on the boulevard work should have been commencing on developing the Royal Infirmary first and foremost.

Still think the whole thing stinks though, the memorial wing was bought with donations from the Blackburn public, and the council and developers have decided in their wisdom to demolish it for a care home.

The Blackburn public, not the council or developers should have the final say on the memorial wing.

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/news/blackburndarwenhyndburnribble/8934432.Demolition_fear_for_Blackburn_war_memorial_hospital_wing/%27ref=rss/

1608605.jpg?type=articlePortrait

The Infirmary is such a quality building how anyone from or on Blackburn council could even contemplate demolishing it, should stand down with immediate effect if they wish to serve Blackburn's best interests.

Still no sign of progress being made today on redeveloping the Royal infirmary.

Drove past the Ewood Arms (Albion) today and witnessed an elderly gentleman repointing this building bringing it back to life. Now why arent we seeing the same thing being done to the glorious Royal Infirmary building .

Noticed on Saturday that Ewood Bikes is moving into what was The Aqueduct. With your news about the Ewood Arms looks like the area is having a bit of a facelift.

Sorry to divert the thread a bit, but is there a bit of a trend for fancy bike shops? As well as the above, there's one just opened in Whalley, and over this way a former car dealership has been modernised as a big bike shop.

Still no sign of progress being made today on redeveloping the Royal infirmary.

Drove past the Ewood Arms (Albion) today and witnessed an elderly gentleman repointing this building bringing it back to life. Now why arent we seeing the same thing being done to the glorious Royal Infirmary building .

Probably cos he can only do one thing at a time JAL.

Its a bit concerning that Dave Wilson homes builders have chopped the land close to the gable end of the Royal Infirmary nearest side to Bolton road.

Just hope this isnt a deliberate ploy to collapse that end of the building.

I'd rather see something done to the old Cotton Exchange and the Nat West on Museum Street . Beautiful buildings which are stood empty.

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/news/10628339.Blackburn_town_centre_to_get_five_restaurants_in_rejuvenation_bid/?ref=rc

Dont know if this is still a 'goer' but National food chains wont bring anything to the party imo. We are blessed with a dozen good restaurants out of town but within 5 miles of Blackburn centre so who on earth would want to drive into Blackburn in the evening to eat at a national chain? Closing the door after the horse has bolted is never a good policy. Through bad experience and years of neglect people have chosen to go out of town these days rather than into it. The demise of Goodfellows and the cellar restaurant on Richmond Terrace / Sudell Cross are proof of that. Those buildings need to be utilised for other uses. Pretty obvious that the people making these decisons dont have much of a clue about such things.

I'd rather see something done to the old Corn Exchange and the Nat West on Museum Street . Beautiful buildings which are stood empty.

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/news/10628339.Blackburn_town_centre_to_get_five_restaurants_in_rejuvenation_bid/?ref=rc

Dont know if this is still a 'goer' but National food chains wont bring anything to the party imo. We are blessed with a dozen good restaurants out of town but within 5 miles of Blackburn centre so who on earth would want to drive into Blackburn in the evening to eat at a national chain? Closing the door after the horse has bolted is never a good policy. Through bad experience and years of neglect people have chosen to go out of town these days rather than into it. The demise of Goodfellows and the cellar restaurant on Richmond Terrace / Sudell Cross are proof of that. Those buildings need to be utilised for other uses. Pretty obvious that the people making these decisons dont have much of a clue about such things.

They have the curry mile planned but no pubs to support it!

They have the curry mile planned but no pubs to support it!

No chance of that..... the powers that be on the council have only just got shot of them! That sickly Lassi just doesn't quite hit the spot does it?

No chance of that..... the powers that be on the council have only just got shot of them! That sickly Lassi just doesn't quite hit the spot does it?

Not really no,

It doesn't activate the curry switch like beer,

Now if they had sheikhs on the council instead, it might be possible

• Moderation Lead

Quite right El Tombro. Many a good night out as a child at the cinema there, then tea out at tiggis (initially it was always Pizza Hut for the ice cream factory!!).

I saw a Tiggis the other week by the Shajan, I'll have to give it a try!

It was the Essoldo in my day.

Classic then Unit 4 (3 Screens ?) for me.

I co-managed it following the conversion to 5 screens, then ironically closed it / handled redundancies years later.

It was impossible to keep it open with a purpose built Vue in the same town, and despite the new plex being built on top of a railway line where the mice spy on the cleaners in the morning, it proved to be the preferred option.

Classic then Unit 4 (3 Screens ?) for me.

I co-managed it following the conversion to 5 screens, then ironically closed it / handled redundancies years later.

It was impossible to keep it open with a purpose built Vue in the same town, and despite the new plex being built on top of a railway line where the mice spy on the cleaners in the morning, it proved to be the preferred option.

One of the rear fire exits used to run through our shared alley onto Town Hall street (through what used to be the Jaguar showroom) When at school you could sometimes get free access to the cinema that way!

Archived