BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Academy & U21s

8 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

I switched off when the stream went down, but aren't all of our (more senior) Academy GKs a bit crap?

Eastham and Hilton have always sounded decent from what I've been told. Not 'they should be in the first team' decent, but it must be hard to develop when you're only getting a few games at a time at youth level.

1 minute ago, Exiled_Rover said:

Aren't they both sub 6'?

A bit of googling suggests Eastham is, but that Hilton is 6 ft 6...

Being sub 6 ft doesn't automatically make someone a crap keeper.  Raya is only bang on 6 ft himself.

When I think of short Rovers keepers, Jason Brown comes to mind. Was alright for me. Good shot stopper, though his height did sometimes mean he couldn't get to things a slightly taller man would. Nonetheless, he'd have been a more than able deputy if we had a player like him now.

1 minute ago, bluebruce said:

That's 4. Enciso again, the 9 million quid lad. Been far too good for this level.

5 defenders in the box watching as a player shoots from the edge of the box. Pike is not showing any captancy qualities. He should be telling everyone in the defence what is required. Pikes attitude may be a reason he isn't progressing.

1 minute ago, bluebruce said:

Being sub 6 ft doesn't automatically make someone a crap keeper.  Raya is only bang on 6 ft himself.

When I think of short Rovers keepers, Jason Brown comes to mind. Was alright for me. Good shot stopper, though his height did sometimes mean he couldn't get to things a slightly taller man would. Nonetheless, he'd have been a more than able deputy if we had a player like him now.

Nobody is saying that being short makes you a bad keeper, but in my opinion it is a dis-advantage.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, rigger said:

5 defenders in the box watching as a player shoots from the edge of the box. Pike is not showing any captancy qualities. He should be telling everyone in the defence what is required. Pikes attitude may be a reason he isn't progressing.

I gather Pike didn't particularly stand out at Fylde, so I've not really had any hopes for him since. Too late for him to crack on here now, will leave when his contract is up I'm sure. Think he's only had the captaincy as I think the most experienced player tonight?

3 minutes ago, rigger said:

Nobody is saying that being short makes you a bad keeper, but in my opinion it is a dis-advantage.

Sure it is, it limits reach. Although a lighter keeper can also get around a bit quicker, and some tall keepers can't get down well. But actually Exiled did seem to be inferring it made for a crap keeper, if you follow the thread of our discussion. Maybe he wasn't but it's how it came across.

4-2 now, Walker header. The commentator saying it's the right scoreline, which he has said almost every time there's a goal...

1 minute ago, ben_the_beast said:

Not the only difference maker that Brighton had but he absolutely destroyed us. 

It was a young team we put out, some of them I associate more with the u18s, so with one or more multimillion pound players on the pitch it's not a shameful effort. Would be interesting to see how it went if we fielded a full strength u21 side.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

Who's the other small one then? In recent times we've always seemed to have tiny keepers in net taking shots from the attackers in front of the Riverside.

16 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

I gather Pike didn't particularly stand out at Fylde, so I've not really had any hopes for him since. Too late for him to crack on here now, will leave when his contract is up I'm sure. Think he's only had the captaincy as I think the most experienced player tonight?

Sure it is, it limits reach. Although a lighter keeper can also get around a bit quicker, and some tall keepers can't get down well. But actually Exiled did seem to be inferring it made for a crap keeper, if you follow the thread of our discussion. Maybe he wasn't but it's how it came across.

4-2 now, Walker header. The commentator saying it's the right scoreline, which he has said almost every time there's a goal...

I wouldn't field a sub 6' GK if I had a choice.

8 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

Who's the other small one then? In recent times we've always seemed to have tiny keepers in net taking shots from the attackers in front of the Riverside.

Maybe Goddard?

6 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

I wouldn't field a sub 6' GK if I had a choice.

Regardless of how good they were? @rigger see, he does think a keeper being sub 6 ft makes them crap.

2 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

Does anyone have an update on the 'internal game' they were playing on Wednesday night?

Harlow and Leonard were pulled at half time of the Brighton U21 game to feature. I think A. Wharton was meant to get a run out, along with any unused subs from Tuesday.

The squads pretty stretched right now. Not sure who else could've played. I can think of:

Hilton

Edun

Adam Wharton

Phillips

Garrett

Harlock 

Vale

Maybe Hedges? 

Maybe Morton?

1pm also on the Fulham site.

https://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2023/february/25/U21-Blackburn-Preview/

The preview story will be based on a template that they don’t bother checking before publishing. See errors like that all the time with tickets prices etc. The turnstiles were opening at ‘1.30pm’ for a night match the other week.

• Like 1