BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The Pink Floyd Topic (Especially For Adopted Scouser And Other Floyd Aficionados)

Don't get them at all, I love lots of different music, tried to listen to them but its not happening.

Same with Led Zepplin, don't get it.

Have a proper listen to Dark side of the Moon Gav.It is consistently voted into a lot of people's lists of top Ten best albums ever made and for good reason. An absolute classic!

For Floyd fans there are some great tribute bands out there: the Australian Pink Floyd show,Pinked Floyd and the best of the lot Brit Floyd,amazing band who are so good they constantly tour all over the world.Added bonus is they usually play at the Bridgewater Hall in Manchester every year,great venue that does the acoustics justice.

• Moderation Lead

A reggae band that do cover albums did a version if dark side of the moon 'dub side of the moon', worth a listen. (As is their other work in fairness).

Comfortably numb is a masterpiece, I like bits and bats of their output.

A reggae band that do cover albums did a version if dark side of the moon 'dub side of the moon', worth a listen. (As is their other work in fairness).

Cracking piece of music, some of the early stuff is just as good, Astronomy Domine is one hell of a rock piece, played at 11 (as Gene Simmons would say) Syd is awesome on that track

Have a proper listen to Dark side of the Moon Gav.It is consistently voted into a lot of people's lists of top Ten best albums ever made and for good reason. An absolute classic!

First one I tried Bacup, a few good tracks but it didn't do anything for me.....

A Scouserful of Secrets, Gav likes Dylan, me too, that is a cool story that, a few years ago, Dylan went to Liverpool on a regular tour bus to check out the Beatles roots: http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/bob-dylan-liverpool-beatle-city-3454414

I like Pink Floyd. They are a great band along with a few others. Enjoyable.

The Skatalites Dark Side of the Moon is one.

"Wish You Were Here", honestly, at times, I've probably thought that is the best record ever by anyone but DSOTM is a landmark.

But for far out music, I'd probably go with King Crimson's Lark's tongue in aspic. Other KC is okay but I think that one is fantastic.

And I do know most Dylan, I could play that song game only naming Dylan songs almost. Still, he has a huge catalog, a few songs I do not know.

My friend, is really into Yes, we talk, back in the day, that was his favourite.

I like LZ; but some stuff about them bothers me, like that they probably did basically lift riffs from songs. Honestly. But very creative all the same, great sound.

A Scouserful of Secrets, Gav likes Dylan, me too, that is a cool story that, a few years ago, Dylan went to Liverpool on a regular tour bus to check out the Beatles roots: http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/bob-dylan-liverpool-beatle-city-3454414

And I do know most Dylan, I could play that song game only naming Dylan songs almost. Still, he has a huge catalog, a few songs I do not know.

He was detained by police in New Jersey, who didn't recognise him, whilst wondering through a neighbourhood in the rain, possibly looking for something to do with Springstein, maybe where he wrote a particular song, nobody really knows.

He wrote 'Roll on John' which was on Tempest as a tribute to Lennon, great album, love his new stuff.

What about the gig in Blackpool GAV? Absolutely blown away with that one.

Tremendous Paul, he had the crowd mesmerised for the entire time he was on stage, I’ve never experienced a gig like it, it was like everyone was in a trance.

E Street Band at City of Manchester stadium was the best gig I’ve ever been to, just after Clarence Clemons death, but in a different way I doubt I’ll ever experience what I did that night in Blackpool with Dylan, truly amazing.

Bit gutted I'm not going this time around now......

ahh floyd, what can i say, got the first album and been a fan ever since.

think it must have been me that got yoda into them, him being younger brother and all that.

he did get me interested in genesis tho.

audax. KC 21st century schizoid, man great track.

went to see simple minds in blackpool a while ago, what a great sound, still got it has jim.

Liked many different types of music over the years, pretty eclectic taste overall. Always been a massive fan of Queen, and during a discussion about Freddie and his mates (this is in the late eighties) my mate lent me a video of 'Pink Floyd : Delicate sound of Thunder'.

I played that tape to death, and even today I have a copy on my iPhone. The gig was filmed at The Nassau coliseum in New York in 1988, and was edited to resemble more of a feature film of the performance. Gilmour plays perfectly, and he had the best backing singers from any of the tours. Durga McBroom, Margaret Taylor and Rachel Fury (who was seeing Gilmour at the time).

I have had a crush on Miss Fury for a while now :wub:

The version of 'Comfortably Numb' is the best in my opinion, the camera work ghosting her accompanying vocal, then the subtle nod of approval when he does his thang is magical.

The lights and pyro were arguably more impressive for 'Pulse' at Earls Court but 'Delicate' is the one for me.

I never heard the Syd Barret solo albums, they are suppose to be good.

audax. KC 21st century schizoid, man great track.

That's the first album, everyone seems to always remember their first album which is a landmark recording but they had some great stuff later. Robert Fripp, a genius, I liked his collaborations with Eno.

Liked many different types of music over the years, pretty eclectic taste overall. Always been a massive fan of Queen, and during a discussion about Freddie and his mates (this is in the late eighties) my mate lent me a video of 'Pink Floyd : Delicate sound of Thunder'.

I played that tape to death, and even today I have a copy on my iPhone. The gig was filmed at The Nassau coliseum in New York in 1988, and was edited to resemble more of a feature film of the performance. Gilmour plays perfectly, and he had the best backing singers from any of the tours. Durga McBroom, Margaret Taylor and Rachel Fury (who was seeing Gilmour at the time).

I have had a crush on Miss Fury for a while now :wub:

The version of 'Comfortably Numb' is the best in my opinion, the camera work ghosting her accompanying vocal, then the subtle nod of approval when he does his thang is magical.

The lights and pyro were arguably more impressive for 'Pulse' at Earls Court but 'Delicate' is the one for me.

When they did Knebworth it was to light, so they messed about for nearly an hour with a fake electrical problem until the light faded, then the spitfire came over head in perfect timing to the music and the light show kicked in!

To this day I have never seen a better more professional stage show than the Floyd at their best.

I think the 'problem' with Pink Floyd, and the likes of Led Zeppelin for that matter, is that they are not consistently good enough.

Their good stuff is absolutely brilliant and up with the best but their bad stuff is, well, just bad.

I listen to either a Genesis or (early/Fish) Marillion album and every track is spot on whilst this just does not happen with PF or LZ. Still does not stop me liking the latter two though and I wish I had been able to see them live in their pomp.

When they did Knebworth it was to light, so they messed about for nearly an hour with a fake electrical problem until the light faded, then the spitfire came over head in perfect timing to the music and the light show kicked in!

To this day I have never seen a better more professional stage show than the Floyd at their best.

That was an amazing gig. For me Pink Floyd and Roy Harper on the same stage on the day before my 21st birthday was just something else.

I don't remember how I got home which must have been at least 100 miles away

I think the 'problem' with Pink Floyd, and the likes of Led Zeppelin for that matter, is that they are not consistently good enough.

Their good stuff is absolutely brilliant and up with the best but their bad stuff is, well, just bad.

I listen to either a Genesis or (early/Fish) Marillion album and every track is spot on whilst this just does not happen with PF or LZ. Still does not stop me liking the latter two though and I wish I had been able to see them live in their pomp.

Technically all Floyd tracks are perfect, you may not like the content as much on some maybe but live they were always the business. Production wise the Relics album was a disaster in terms of vinyl quality.

Sometimes LZ could be less than expected live with a lot/maybe to much of improvisation at times.

Some of the early Genesis albums had little faux pas in them though. The later ones touching the same high standard as Floyd but the content not as good and maybe a bit to mainstream for the Prog Rock fraternity! coinciding with Peter Gabriel leaving I would say.

Archived