BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Big Sam Autobiography

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It only matters in that we've had it rammed down our throats on here and after seeing first hand life after allardyce for wham then it shows clubs can survive and improve without him .

That isn't what people said.

People said why, for a club our size, when comfortable in the league would you sack him.

Not that nobody could possibly do as good or better job.

What does it matter? We went downhill after he left, as did pretty much every other team! They are doing better, but Bilic was still a risk! People were just speculating. If you're asking people to admit they were wrong on this front, where does it end?

A risk that Rovers fans clearly favored over Allardyce in summer 2008. As a recent article I linked stated West Ham fans want to dream and they clearly thought Allardyce was unimaginative. WHU fans were even mocking him at one point today. Its not like those who wanted Allardyce replaced asked for a complete moron like Kean.

People said why, for a club our size, when comfortable in the league would you sack him.

I don't think Venkys see it as a small club. They certainly haven't said anything along those lines or talked about being based in a town.

• Backroom

Also that the odds of bringing in somebody to do a better job at our club was pretty slim. I still think that's a perfectly valid statement. Unlike WHU, the person following Allardyce here wouldn't have had tens of millions to spend on a team that already cost tens of millions.

Also that the odds of bringing in somebody to do a better job at our club was pretty slim. I still think that's a perfectly valid statement. Unlike WHU, the person following Allardyce here wouldn't have had tens of millions to spend on a team that already cost tens of millions.

Well we didn't know for most of that period how much new owners might spend. Some managers work better on lower budgets anyway like Allardyce, Leslie, Souness (well he had money until 2004 just that his cheapest signings were better than the more expensive ones) plus Gold and Sullivan aren't exactly a bottomless pit. They obviously didn't trust Allardyce to spend what Bilic has had.

• Backroom

Well we didn't know for most of that period how much new owners might spend. Some managers work better on lower budgets anyway like Allardyce, Leslie, Souness (well he had money until 2004 just that his cheapest signings were better than the more expensive ones) plus Gold and Sullivan aren't exactly a bottomless pit. They obviously didn't trust Allardyce to spend what Bilic has had.

I don't know. Allardyce wasn't exactly shopping in the bargain bin either. I'd say it was the fans that made up Gold and Sullivan's mind, they seemed pretty supportive of Sam otherwise. I don't think they would have gotten rid if the fans hadn't been so against him.

the sad thing is is that in the folliwing 12/48 months after allardyce left we did spend 10s of millions on players(when you include agents fees, loan fees, signing on fees, etc..) but it was all completely wasted by a total buffon of a manager, a inept self serving board and various leeches on(singh, anderson) and we've been paying the price for those mistakes ever since.

If theyd have replaced allardyce with a quality manager and gave him as mucj to spend as kean&cronies spent then who lnows what could have happened, also i imagine the quality players we lost and sold(samba, jones, hoilet, nelsen...) might have been more inclined to stay a bit longer.

the sad thing is is that in the folliwing 12/48 months after allardyce left we did spend 10s of millions on players(when you include agents fees, loan fees, signing on fees, etc..) but it was all completely wasted by a total buffon of a manager, a inept self serving board and various leeches on(singh, anderson) and we've been paying the price for those mistakes ever since.

If theyd have replaced allardyce with a quality manager and gave him as mucj to spend as kean&cronies spent then who lnows what could have happened, also i imagine the quality players we lost and sold(samba, jones, hoilet, nelsen...) might have been more inclined to stay a bit longer.

They sold more than they bought .

Yeah, I'm pretty sure we made net profit on transfers until we were relegated from the PL. I could be wrong on that front, but that's how I remember it.

It was brought up by the presenter on that panel thing they had on with Shabby, I'm sure he said that they were still 10 mill plus up on what had been spent in reply to Singh trying to say the owners were spending. I'd think most of what was spent since relegation was covered by the parachutes although the wage bill will obviously have had to be underpinned somehow by the owners.

• 4 months later...

Archived