BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Ben Brereton Diaz

4 hours ago, only2garners said:

Didn't look like a kick to me.

From what I recall there was no one tackling and his left foot seemed to stick a bit in the ground - when that happens, you either tweak (at best, worse case you tear) your ankle ligaments or your achilles.

The worse injuries often arise from non contact.

We can't afford to lose Brereton for any length of time but I'd be pleasantly and hugely surprised if he runs out on Saturday against Millwall.

Edited by Mercer

1 minute ago, Mercer said:

Didn't look like a kick to me.

From what I recall there was no one tackling and his left foot seemed to stick a bit in the ground - when that happens, you either tweak your ankle ligaments or your achilles.

The worse injuries often arise from non contact.

We can't afford to lose Brereton for any length of time but I'd be pleasantly surprised if he runs out on Saturday against Millwall.

Every single time one of our players gets injured, you come on here and imply that they are likely to be out for a long time. 

• Like 3

Going forward I’d like to see bbd deployed in buckleys role in the hole behind strikers in front of midfielders, he is good at running with the ball and can pick out a decent pass, I see him very much in the mould of Matt jansen. Play gallagher up top in front of him , I know he isn’t a world beater but it’s gallagher best position not out on the wing. He needs a run up top and a chance to claim that for his own , if he doesn’t produce from now into the end of the season then we know we need a striker in the summer - we probably do anyway 

6 minutes ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

Going forward I’d like to see bbd deployed in buckleys role in the hole behind strikers in front of midfielders, he is good at running with the ball and can pick out a decent pass, I see him very much in the mould of Matt jansen. Play gallagher up top in front of him , I know he isn’t a world beater but it’s gallagher best position not out on the wing. He needs a run up top and a chance to claim that for his own , if he doesn’t produce from now into the end of the season then we know we need a striker in the summer - we probably do anyway 

You are underestimating what Buckley does. Brereton there would give frees away because he's not a good tackler. Buckley is great at nicking it 

This stuff on Gallagher as well, he does play upfront. Even what Davies was saying last night wasn't right. There were times Gallagher should and could have attacked the ball, but he didn't. That's on him. One sticks in my mind where he was waiting to volley it and should have instead attacked it with his head at the point by where the defender cleared it. 

There is a common myth that Gallagher is a potentially effective forward being totally misused as a wide man. The current position is sort of a hybrid between wide man and striker, and in a counter attacking team, is probably not far off the best utilisation of a very limited player. I also feel like he performs better without Brereton as was the case when Gallagher was very good v Boro the other week from this current "wide striker" role, the balance of our team looks more natural playing this way when we have one of Brereton and Gallagher playing (always the former if fit and available) and then a winger as we saw with Khadra.

Whenever he has played up front in the past, many of his primary weaknesses become magnified, he cannot hold the ball up, he cannot bring others into play, his touch is horrendous and as the main striker he will never be prolific enough.

9 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

You are underestimating what Buckley does. Brereton there would give frees away because he's not a good tackler. Buckley is great at nicking it 

This stuff on Gallagher as well, he does play upfront. Even what Davies was saying last night wasn't right. There were times Gallagher should and could have attacked the ball, but he didn't. That's on him. One sticks in my mind where he was waiting to volley it and should have instead attacked it with his head at the point by where the defender cleared it. 

None of the things u have said are particularly needed for an attacker tho which is basically what he is at the moment , put him in the middle where his passing can be utilised after he nicks the ball , fast wingers where he can play them in over the top . Buckley ain’t very good at scoring ya know 

5 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

There is a common myth that Gallagher is a potentially effective forward being totally misused as a wide man. The current position is sort of a hybrid between wide man and striker, and in a counter attacking team, is probably not far off the best utilisation of a very limited player. I also feel like he performs better without Brereton as was the case when Gallagher was very good v Boro the other week from this current "wide striker" role, the balance of our team looks more natural playing this way when we have one of Brereton and Gallagher playing (always the former if fit and available) and then a winger as we saw with Khadra.

Whenever he has played up front in the past, many of his primary weaknesses become magnified, he cannot hold the ball up, he cannot bring others into play, his touch is horrendous and as the main striker he will never be prolific enough.

100% more effective up front, hasn’t been given a run of games in his favoured position. I’m not saying he is brilliant at it but he needs to be given a run there 

7 minutes ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

100% more effective up front, hasn’t been given a run of games in his favoured position. I’m not saying he is brilliant at it but he needs to be given a run there 

If you would play Brereton as the false 9, based on your recommendation, I don't get how Gallagher would be played in any different a position to where he plays now ie as one of the 2 wide forwards? The formation would need altering to bring in out and out strikers.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

If you would play Brereton as the false 9, based on your recommendation, I don't get how Gallagher would be played in any different a position to where he plays now ie as one of the 2 wide forwards? The formation would need altering to bring in out and out strikers.

Don’t you think the formation should be changing? We are utterly toothless as it is , not worked for months now 

5 minutes ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

Don’t you think the formation should be changing? We are utterly toothless as it is , not worked for months now 

I would stick with the 5 at the back, our defence is ensuring that we gain points even when not scoring many. I would perhaps change things slightly and have 2 wide men either side of a striker but that would be Brereton if fit. Hedges and Dolan either side, see if we can get a bit more spark. I certainly wouldnt be desperate to give Gallagher a run of games in the middle, although Breretons injury may make this a necessity.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

None of the things u have said are particularly needed for an attacker tho which is basically what he is at the moment , put him in the middle where his passing can be utilised after he nicks the ball , fast wingers where he can play them in over the top . Buckley ain’t very good at scoring ya know 

He's more than an attacker though. Buckley is a midfielder when out of possession 

10 minutes ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

Jesus this is a complete over reaction. Months? We were decent last night and could have scored on another day , same against Swansea and Luton. Great performance against Boro 

• Like 1

Just now, roversfan99 said:

I would stick with the 5 at the back, our defence is ensuring that we gain points even when not scoring many. I would perhaps change things slightly and have 2 wide men either side of a striker but that would be Brereton if fit. Hedges and Dolan either side, see if we can get a bit more spark. I certainly wouldnt be desperate to give Gallagher a run of games in the middle, although Breretons injury may make this a necessity.

God you had me slightly on side until you mentioned hedges , awful. 
I’d like to see a 4-5-1, win the middle not the defence 

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Jesus this is a complete over reaction. Months? We were decent last night and could have scored on another day , same against Swansea and Luton. Great performance against Boro 

Wholly disagree, on another day we lose to boro as well, not as if we peppered their goal and they probably should have had a pen. 
claiming bad luck in hull and Swansea when it shouldn’t be needed to put them sides away. Genuinely can’t remember the last very good display the team have gave. Think we have very different views on what’s good and what’s not. We weren’t decent last night at all, how many times did we threaten? We spell in the second half ain’t good enough for me, grab that game by the neck for the 90 mins, West Brom we’re there for the taking. 

13 minutes ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

God you had me slightly on side until you mentioned hedges , awful. 
I’d like to see a 4-5-1, win the middle not the defence 

Hes only played an hour of football in a Rovers shirt.

We cant get rid of the 3 centre backs in the formation as they are not conceding goals. Just need to tweak ahead of that.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

Wholly disagree, on another day we lose to boro as well, not as if we peppered their goal and they probably should have had a pen. 
claiming bad luck in hull and Swansea when it shouldn’t be needed to put them sides away. Genuinely can’t remember the last very good display the team have gave. Think we have very different views on what’s good and what’s not. We weren’t decent last night at all, how many times did we threaten? We spell in the second half ain’t good enough for me, grab that game by the neck for the 90 mins, West Brom we’re there for the taking. 

We won't win every game. Knee jerk formation changes back to what didn't get us here isn't what's needed. 

By your metric that we could have lost the Boro game, we could have won the Swansea game. You can't pick and choose to suit your argument that we have been "terrible for months" 

I agree WBA were there for the taking ,but they had attackers on the field who are individually worth more than put entire starting 11,first thing is don't concede l. Tiny margins in Breretons disallowed goal 

1 hour ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Looked a toe stubber to me. Painful,but hopefully no major damage. 

I was once out for months and months at uni with what I'd initially thought was a toe stub type of injury (admittedly what I 'stubbed' it on was a massive lad's huge foot). Difference being I tried to play through the match and again for a few weeks, and didn't bother getting any professional assessment of it or physio. Just kept thinking it would be fine again soon. Ended up being the beginning of my transition from injury-proof ever-present to walking sicknote (probably from resting as much as possible to avoid agitating it, which made the rest of my body weaker, triggering new injuries when I returned).

Thankfully, Brereton has a team of professionals and physios around him so I'm sure none of that will happen! Like you say, hopefully no major damage. We can't afford to miss him for more than the odd game (if that).

7 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

I was once out for months and months at uni with what I'd initially thought was a toe stub type of injury (admittedly what I 'stubbed' it on was a massive lad's huge foot). Difference being I tried to play through the match and again for a few weeks, and didn't bother getting any professional assessment of it or physio. Just kept thinking it would be fine again soon. Ended up being the beginning of my transition from injury-proof ever-present to walking sicknote (probably from resting as much as possible to avoid agitating it, which made the rest of my body weaker, triggering new injuries when I returned).

Thankfully, Brereton has a team of professionals and physios around him so I'm sure none of that will happen! Like you say, hopefully no major damage. We can't afford to miss him for more than the odd game (if that).

I broke mine stubbing it before. Was playing on an awful pitch and got it stuck in the muck. Hopefully Breretons is nothing major. I would be surprised if he missed more than 1 game 

• Like 1