BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

John Buckley YouTube Video

5 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

And very much has yet to warrant a regular guaranteed place in our midfield. Obviously Sparks Rovers' agenda aside.

I would start him myself, because that's my opinion based on his skillset and the type of player we need in midfield for our formation, but I'd agree that it would naive to expect that opinion to be shared by everyone based off of 1,000 minutes of game time.

1 hour ago, JoeH said:

John Buckley featured in 45 out of 46 Championship match day squads last season. He played 1000 minutes of League Football. 

He got another 602 minutes in the league in 2019/20.

How many starts Joe? I just find it hard to believe he is the best of the academy etc

Ok, let's see how this season pans out.  By default he will get more games.  This has to be his year to come on or he will need to go.

Edited by Sparks Rover

4 minutes ago, JoeH said:

I would start him myself, because that's my opinion based on his skillset and the type of player we need in midfield for our formation, but I'd agree that it would naive to expect that opinion to be shared by everyone based off of 1,000 minutes of game time.

The type of player maybe, but do you genuinely think he has the ability right now to impact games regularly? Would that be at the cost of Rothwell, if not then who and if so, dont you consider (based on where Buckley is at the moment) it to be a downgrade? Do you fear a dog fight next season?

I presume by skillset you mean within the framework of Mowbray's flawed style of play. Even if he was which he may well be plus if he was up to the level we need which I doubt, its pissing in the wind. Lenihan, Ayala, Wharton, Johnson, all defensive players who cannot use the ball particularly well at their feet. In fact, the technical ability across the team is lacking. We have plenty of energy and pace in attack, we shouldnt try and play this tika taka shite and it is difficult to encourage using players within that framework.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

How many starts Joe? I just find it hard to believe he is the best of the academy etc

12. More than double your suggested 5

Just now, roversfan99 said:

Would that be at the cost of Rothwell

No for me the midfield three next season should be Rothwell and Buckley either side of Travis. That is a hardworking trio that will win the ball back high, two of the three I have no worries about tracking back, Rothwell is your runner on the ball, Buckley is your passer, Travis is the shithouse when out of possession. When Dack returns that probably changes things.

2 minutes ago, JoeH said:

No for me the midfield three next season should be Rothwell and Buckley either side of Travis. That is a hardworking trio that will win the ball back high, two of the three I have no worries about tracking back, Rothwell is your runner on the ball, Buckley is your passer, Travis is the shithouse when out of possession. When Dack returns that probably changes things.

I am not sure that it suits Travis to be a holding midfielder, it takes a certain discipline that I am not sure he has nor does it suit him to hold, I think he is better with a little more freedom.

I think we need a new holding midfielder and another more attacking central midfielder in the window amidst other things but not sure I should hope my breath. Rothwell and Buckley could then compete for places with the former much closer than the latter for me. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I am not sure that it suits Travis to be a holding midfielder, it takes a certain discipline that I am not sure he has nor does it suit him to hold, I think he is better with a little more freedom.

I think we need a new holding midfielder and another more attacking central midfielder in the window amidst other things but not sure I should hope my breath. Rothwell and Buckley could then compete for places with the former much closer than the latter for me. 

You see I think Trav can play the holding role, especially in a high pressing side. Rothwell and Buckley both start for me because they're two of the best at winning the ball back in the final 3rd.

9 minutes ago, JoeH said:

You see I think Trav can play the holding role, especially in a high pressing side. Rothwell and Buckley both start for me because they're two of the best at winning the ball back in the final 3rd.

Not sure that they do enough with it to make best use of winning the ball back personally. 

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

I don't get why it has to be as clear cut as that, I think he is ok as he is as a squad player, and ultimately when he gets a chance next, he needs to do more to retain his space. I dont think we have to say, right, hes a regular from here on in, he hasnt earnt it.

That midfield is very underwhelming with Buckley a downgrade on an inconsistent Rothwell. Factor in the assumption that Armstrong will not be sufficiently replaced, and with Elliott and Harwood Bellis leaving, you would expect all 3 areas of the team ahead of Kaminski to be weaker with the same manager. Very depressing isnt it.

And very much has yet to warrant a regular guaranteed place in our midfield. Obviously Sparks Rovers' agenda aside.

Obviously he has to earn it and shouldn't continue if he's shite, but he should be given the start at the beginning of the season. 

Well Buckley is a downgrade in the 1 out of 7 games where Rothwell plays well. The other 6 games , it's a toss up. 

Ya, it's not looking good for next season. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I have my doubts, but it does feel like if they keep him around, which they are, now is the time to back him and start him. I would go Johnson ,Travis and Buckley 

Johnson wouldn't be part of my starting eleven

2 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

I don't get why it has to be as clear cut as that, I think he is ok as he is as a squad player, and ultimately when he gets a chance next, he needs to do more to retain his space. I dont think we have to say, right, hes a regular from here on in, he hasnt earnt it.

That midfield is very underwhelming with Buckley a downgrade on an inconsistent Rothwell. Factor in the assumption that Armstrong will not be sufficiently replaced, and with Elliott and Harwood Bellis leaving, you would expect all 3 areas of the team ahead of Kaminski to be weaker with the same manager. Very depressing isnt it.

Buckley is 21 years old and now is the time to play him. of course thats is form and injuries depending. 

I disagree thats Buckley is downgraded on Rothwell as you have repeatedly he is far too inconsistent. He hasn't produced the goods enough times during his 3 years here. But I really don't know why thats it is cos Rothwell has the talent and skills but we don't enough of it. 

Why assume that's Armstrong will go or not be proper replace? 

Elliott and Harwood-Bellis will be big misses but we might get Harwood-Bellis back on loan. Big question how do we replace Elliott? Well this is where our recruitment department comes to the front and gives Mowbray a list of potential targets. I thought of someone like Patrick Roberts possible option. 

If you are depress by it all thats fine. 

2 hours ago, JoeH said:

I'd agree with others that I think Travis is wasted as a deep midfielder. Mowbray has coached the drive and passion out of him to an extent. I think Travis is best marauding his way round the centre of the pitch, winning the ball and getting forward. There's a lot more to his game than just being the pivot (LOL). 

Rothwell is possibly wanting out so I'd go with Buckley and Travis in front of a proper disciplined DM. 

I'd like actually to see a diamond next season, with Dack at the head of it when fit and two up front. It's workable if your full backs can get forward and supply the width. Pickering looks to be very attacking and JRC/Nyambe could do the same on the other side. 

3 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

The type of player maybe, but do you genuinely think he has the ability right now to impact games regularly? Would that be at the cost of Rothwell, if not then who and if so, dont you consider (based on where Buckley is at the moment) it to be a downgrade? Do you fear a dog fight next season?

Yes I think Buckley will have more of an impact on games the more he plays. How is it downgrade?

For me, it would be in place of Rothwell thats Buckley plays. 

Until we see who we recruitment and how other teams recruit then how can you fear a dog fight next season?

I presume by skillset you mean within the framework of Mowbray's flawed style of play. Even if he was which he may well be plus if he was up to the level we need which I doubt, its pissing in the wind. Lenihan, Ayala, Wharton, Johnson, all defensive players who cannot use the ball particularly well at their feet. In fact, the technical ability across the team is lacking. We have plenty of energy and pace in attack, we shouldnt try and play this tika taka shite and it is difficult to encourage using players within that framework.

This is why I have said repeatedly that Mowbray's signings over the past 2 seasons haven't fitted the way he wants to play style wise and formation wise. 

I agree that we shouldn't play this tika taka style but I would be more inclined to play 4-3-3/4-2-3-1 counter attacking or even play abit more direct if Armstrong leaves and we sign a target man instead of like for like replacement. Like we did with Graham. 

We need to sign players thats fit his style and for me we need a good defensive midfielder to play in front back 4 to allow Travis and Buckley in more advance roles in midfield 3 if we play Mowbray 4-3-3 formation this formation unless he change his style and formation again. Who knows with Mowbray considering thats we have played 4 different formations during his tenure here.  

49 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Buckley is 21 years old and now is the time to play him. of course thats is form and injuries depending. 

I disagree thats Buckley is downgraded on Rothwell as you have repeatedly he is far too inconsistent. He hasn't produced the goods enough times during his 3 years here. But I really don't know why thats it is cos Rothwell has the talent and skills but we don't enough of it. 

Elliott and Harwood-Bellis will be big misses but we might get Harwood-Bellis back on loan. Big question how do we replace Elliott? Well this is where our recruitment department comes to the front and gives Mowbray a list of potential targets. I thought of someone like Patrick Roberts possible option. 

He's the only midfielder who can win a header. Plus that one month where he won player of the month, added up to more consistency than Rothwell over a season. 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

He's the only midfielder who can win a header. Plus that one month where he won player.of the month, added up to more consistently than Rothwell over a season. 

I wouldn't have even give him a new contract but release him and move on. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I wouldn't have even give him a new contract but release him and move on. 

Fair enough. The others have arguably more to prove than him. All extremely inconsistent or ineffective imo. I'm glad Holtby and Evans are gone though. 

The squad for next season is very concerning, ignoring the issue with the manager. Although obviously they go hand in hand 

The usual issues will be at the forefront though, the main one being in line with our general demeneur under Mowbray and that's a lack of urgency. A lack of urgency and a lack of desire to win at all costs. It's rampant throughout the club. Until that changes, we are only going to be mediocre at best, the concern is we could also be worse than mediocre, very easily. 

I would make us about about as likely to make the play offs as the clubs promoted from League 1. Hull possibly in a better place than us. 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

1 minute ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Fair enough. The others have arguably more to prove than him. All extremely inconsistent or ineffective imo. I'm glad Holtby and Evans are gone though. 

The squad for next season is very concerning, ignoring the issue with the manager. Although obviously they go hand in hand 

I agree with Holtby and Evans being released. Lets see what the squad for the coming season maybe a week before the start of the season then for me, we have more of a idea what the season with hold and what players we have sign and sold if any

59 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I agree with Holtby and Evans being released. Lets see what the squad for the coming season maybe a week before the start of the season then for me, we have more of a idea what the season with hold and what players we have sign and sold if any

We already need to replace Eliott and possibly Armstrong too. There is a lot of work to be done 

It doesn't really matter though cos of the manager. It will be more of the same. More baffling line ups, more inconsistency. You can't teach an old dog new tricks. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Why is now the time to make him a regular in the first team? Has he shown enough on the pitch to warrant such a privilege, merely his age doesnt warrant it. I am comfortable with his current position, squad player, will get chances, to get a more regular spot, he needs to earn it which as of yet he has struggled to do.

You are keen to dismiss the managerial conundrum, I get it to an extent but minor tactical suggestions and signing recommendations seem immaterial under the cloud that is an incompetent manager, under the biggest cloud that is negligent owners. He will continue to persist with his flawed "philosophy" with ill suited tactics.

Why do I assume that Armstrong will go? Because he has a year left on his deal, we are going backwards, he is clearly above a team 15th in the Championship and it would make no sense for him to renew, plus our manager tries to invite bids every time a microphone is placed within his vicinity?

Why do I not think that he will be replaced? Well to equally replace a 29 goal striker as a 15th placed Championship club full stop, especially with a small budget, is nigh on impossible. Throw in aforementioned manager and recruitment team who have barring exceptions ballsed up recruitment for a while now, why would I have faith in them? Why do you have faith in our recruitment? Blind hope?

Why do I fear a dog fight? I just dont think that an underperforming manager suffocating in his own stagnation managing a squad of players who I predict will be poorer than the squad that achieved a 15th placed finish last season is a recipe for success.

Assuming that Armstrong goes, its a given that his replacement wont be a 29 goal striker. We have also lost Elliott who whilst he obviously isnt as important as Armstrong, he was still our only other reliable attacking outlet. Do I think that Brereton, Gallagher and co can fill that goal void? No, certainly not. I then look further back, the idea of Buckley becoming a first team regular, nice idea to bring through the kids, do I think at the moment he is good enough to start as a regular? No. Further back, Harwood Bellis will be a miss too. Beyond Armstrong, Dack and Elliott, leaving, injured and leaving, I dont see much to really get excited about, all of course further hindered by Mowbray.

To be honest, it might surprise you to read that I am actually excited about the idea of attending games again after so long away. Even then, it seems like the governments incompetence might jeopardise that!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

We already need to replace Eliott and possibly Armstrong too. There is a lot of work to be done 

It doesn't really matter though cos of the manager. It will be more of the same. More baffling line ups, more inconsistency. You can't teach an old dog new tricks. 

That's where you hope and in all true where are recruitment department should have already provided Mowbray and co shortlist for each position we need signings for. That's should have been weeks in not months ago tbh. 

11 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

That's where you hope and in all true where are recruitment department should have already provided Mowbray and co shortlist for each position we need signings for. That's should have been weeks in not months ago tbh. 

Do you have any remaining faith in the combination of our recruitment team and Mowbray leading to get us what we need?

Why is now the time to make him a regular in the first team? Has he shown enough on the pitch to warrant such a privilege, merely his age doesnt warrant it. 

For me, yes I think the time has come that's he becomes first team regular. The talent and ability is there he just needs regular game time now form and fitness depending. 

You are keen to dismiss the managerial conundrum

I've said we need a change of manager for the past 5 months now and I said we need change tactics now. What more do you want? 

Why do I assume that Armstrong will go?

All down to the bids we get and whether they are acceptable to Rovers. Plus can we get who we want to replace him with? 

Why do I fear a dog fight? 

All down to who we will sign this summer

4 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Assuming that Armstrong goes, its a given that his replacement wont be a 29 goal striker. 

Who knows. It's down to who we recruit as his replacement and how that player settle into the team. Until that's happen no point in predicting what will happen 

4 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

it might surprise you to read that I am actually excited about the idea of attending games again after so long away. Even then, it seems like the governments incompetence might jeopardise that!

No its doesn't surprise me cos I know how much you enjoy watching live football inside a stadium from previous conservations we had

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

Do you have any remaining faith in the combination of our recruitment team and Mowbray leading to get us what we need?

I have plenty of faith in our recruitment team in recommended players to the Manager. The problem is if he decide that he wants players that's the recruitment team havent recommended. Will be interesting to see who we appoint as Head of recruitment and whether that person is more data focus than Harvey was. 

Just look at last summer recruitment and do you think our recruitment team recommend Ayala or Trybull or Pears or Douglas. Cos I dont. I think they were Mowbray own choices. 

Edited by chaddyrovers
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

I have plenty of faith in our recruitment team in recommended players to the Manager. The problem is if he decide that he wants players that's the recruitment team havent recommended. Will be interesting to see who we appoint as Head of recruitment and whether that person is more data focus than Harvey was. 

Just look at last summer recruitment and do you think our recruitment team recommend Ayala or Trybull or Pears or Douglas. Cos I dont. I think they were Mowbray own choices. 

Mowbray suggested the bad ones and the recruitment team suggested the good ones? Easy assumption to make and even if it was true, Mowbray is still the manager so no reason to believe that suddenly our fantastic recruitment team will suddenly grasp the power and have the final say.