BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Rip Jimmy greaves

Jimmy 's autobiography from 10 or 15 years ago is a terrific read. He does a nice paragraph about Bryan Douglas which some of our members will enjoy. He obviously had huge respect for Duggie's ability.

He had his final alcoholic drink in 1978 and battled that particular demon for the rest of his life. Sometimes, even decades later, the temptation to have a drink caused him to live hour by hour until the craving passed.

He was awarded the MBE earlier this year. He reportedly celebrated with his first drink for 43 years. A small glass of wine. 

I hope he enjoyed it. 

RIP Jimmy Greaves.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, den said:

One more. Greaves talking about how not being involved in the final affected him.

Can see his eyes watering up at the end there. Don't blame him. It must have felt strange to be probably the only Englishman invested in football who wasn't delighted that day. Robbed by fate of what could have been his greatest moment.

• Like 1

On 19/09/2021 at 14:55, roverandout said:

Just to add there's no need to have a pop at kane.  His goal scoring record is second to none.  Greaves was a poacher.  Kane is the all round modern forward . He has scored more tournament goals than Greaves. Plus teams played more games back then.  League wise. Harry Kane will go down as one of tge all Time greats

Greaves was slightly before my time but fairly sure from what I've heard and read that Kane wasn't in his class as a player.

Not sure why you need to belittle Greaves by bigging up Kane either. Bit like trying to make out that Beckham was better than George Best. 

Kane and Beckham are different sorts of character and might have been far more professional and/or had the benefit of modern technology for keeping fit but in terms of raw ability there's no comparison.

46 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Greaves was slightly before my time but fairly sure from what I've heard and read that Kane wasn't in his class as a player.

Not sure why you need to belittle Greaves by bigging up Kane either. Bit like trying to make out that Beckham was better than George Best. 

Kane and Beckham are different sorts of character and might have been far more professional and/or had the benefit of modern technology for keeping fit but in terms of raw ability there's no comparison.

I'm not belittling greaves. He was a great player. Just people have to downplay kane's achievements all the time