BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Championship - 22-23

It all goes in cycles, we’ve been here that long now we’ve seen it all - seasons with the likes of Villa, Leeds and Newcastle down here, next season the likes of Bournemouth and Luton could come back down, with the Barnsley’s and Peterborough’s coming up.

It's a competitive league. There will be 15+ clubs who think they've a chance of the play-offs when the season kicks off. 

Some 'big' resourced clubs will underachieve, some 'small' clubs will overachieve. 

Same every year. 

For the clubs coming down it will be how they adapt. If Leeds, Leicester and Soton can't offload their high earners and bring in average managers they'll struggle. 

• Backroom

I'm wary that we've had two big chances in the past two seasons and blown both of them. Considering our resources are in the middle/lower-middle of the division, law of averages suggests we may have quite an underwhelming season this time around unless significant improvements are made to the playing squad by the time the season kicks off. I'd say at the very least we need to move on two from the three of Gallagher/Vale/Leonard and bring in better replacements, whether that's on loan or otherwise. The rest of the team I'm less concerned about, although if JRC is moving to midfield then RB is a position that will need addressing, as Brittain seems hugely injury prone and I'd rather not have Travis or Bucko as RB cover this time around. 

7 minutes ago, DE. said:

I'm wary that we've had two big chances in the past two seasons and blown both of them.

To be fair (and this isn't aimed specifically at you), I think most supporters believe that we never expected those two chances in the first place! It was really surprising to find ourselves in the positions we found ourselves in during the last couple of seasons under Mowbray and Tomasson. The problem has been piss-poor transfer windows in January to see us through to the play-offs (or more!). We run out of steam because we essentially run out of players.

I personally wouldn't go anywhere near as saying that the last two seasons have been utter failures, as some suggest. I see imperfect progress at the club. For the last few seasons at least, I see us with an outside chance of the play-offs because we are certainly not one in the top six when it comes to strongest clubs in terms of resources and playing staff.

We need to cut out certain silly mistakes in our transfer dealings, and I think we are in with a great shout of making it.

Edited by goozburger

• Backroom
2 minutes ago, goozburger said:

To be fair (and this isn't aimed specifically at you), I think most supporters believe that we never expected those two chances in the first place! It was really surprising to find ourselves in the positions we found ourselves in during the last couple of seasons under Mowbray and Tomasson. The problem has been piss-poor transfer windows in January to see us through to the play-offs (or more!). We run out of steam because we essentially run out of players.

I personally wouldn't go anywhere near as saying that the last two seasons have been utter failures, as some suggest. I see imperfect progress at the club. For the last few seasons at least, I see us with an outside chance of the play-offs because we are certainly not one in the top six when it comes to strongest clubs in terms of resources and playing staff.

We need to cut out certain silly mistakes in our transfer dealings, and I think we are in with a great shout of making it.

I think the fact they were unexpected just makes it more likely this season we'll fall back a little, honestly. If we're repeatedly defying pessimistic expectations, then those expectations are actually too low and we're actually a team of genuine playoff quality which isn't being recognised by the fanbase.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, DE. said:

I think the fact they were unexpected just makes it more likely this season we'll fall back a little, honestly. If we're repeatedly defying pessimistic expectations, then those expectations are actually too low and we're actually a team of genuine playoff quality which isn't being recognised by the fanbase.  

The difference for us has to be a few smart signings, and blooding our top-grade academy. That's the only we can realistically get into the top six.

Truthfully, I'm expecting another top-half finish outside the play-offs next season. It's possible we can do a Luton or a Coventry and get into the play-offs on our lower wage budget, as we nearly did this time around, but I think it will be the same recipe for us.

Over to Broughton and Tomasson to see what they can pull off this season. I'm hopeful, but not expectant.

• Like 2

Wouldn't read too much into what the league looks like on paper, seen it last year with West Brom, Watford, Norwich etc. and how tough they are to beat and how big their budgets are and we got beat once in 6 meetings by them, including 3 easy wins.

13 hours ago, goozburger said:

I wasn't surprised. We've got a good side.

I also wasn't surprised when those chances were sabotaged either.

• Like 1