BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Championship - 22-23

Luton have certainly broken the mould here, 90% of the time clubs with Premiership money take the promotion places, but not on this occasion, well done to them, it shows what can be achieved, especially with them coming back from the abyss! 

I remember them back in 80's being in the first division (Brian Stein, Paul Walsh and Mick Hartford), a pipe dream for Blackburn Rovers at that time, they also won the league cup at Wembley beating a very good Arsenal side, so they do have pedigree.

Good effort. 

• Like 3

Good for Luton I watched the game and they were brilliant in the first half. And Id say after watching all the play off games they deserved it overall. Can't help but watch those games though and think we would've won 😂. Such a huge missed opportunity and it really feels like it now having seen how the other teams performed.  

Also it would've been awful if mowbray left here and went up with another team the season after. And after how the Coventry fans and players celebrated the last minute handball I'm glad they didn't go up.

Edited by Danny O.Brien
  • Like 4

It was certainly a game of two halves. Luton bossed the first half, and could have been two or three up, really.

Coventry started to threaten in the last five minutes of the first half, and to be fair, I thought they were the better team in the second half and deserved their equaliser.

Luton always looked the more likely in the end, and they have a better quality side which shone through. Penalties are a terrible way to settle a game in my opinion. Both teams took sublime penalties until Dabo's absolute clanger.

Overall, I'd rather Luton went up for a few reasons. Luton have been a thorn in our side for a good few seasons. There is also justice in Coventry suffering heartbreak due to their blatant handball to equalise against us. Finally, I think Coventry may struggle next season. Their better players will go (and I don't think they'll get as much as they would hope for given the short lengths of contracts remaining, plus their desperation for money - they dropped a clanger by having to sell Hyam to use for less than we originally offered last summer!).

5 minutes ago, goozburger said:

It was certainly a game of two halves. Luton bossed the first half, and could have been two or three up, really.

Coventry started to threaten in the last five minutes of the first half, and to be fair, I thought they were the better team in the second half and deserved their equaliser.

Luton always looked the more likely in the end, and they have a better quality side which shone through. Penalties are a terrible way to settle a game in my opinion. Both teams took sublime penalties until Dabo's absolute clanger.

Overall, I'd rather Luton went up for a few reasons. Luton have been a thorn in our side for a good few seasons. There is also justice in Coventry suffering heartbreak due to their blatant handball to equalise against us. Finally, I think Coventry may struggle next season. Their better players will go (and I don't think they'll get as much as they would hope for given the short lengths of contracts remaining, plus their desperation for money - they dropped a clanger by having to sell Hyam to use for less than we originally offered last summer!).

Yeah, Coventry will rue that defeat for a long time. Hamer and Gykores will be gone. They won't be the same force this coming season.

14 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

Yeah, Coventry will rue that defeat for a long time. Hamer and Gykores will be gone. They won't be the same force this coming season.

Coventry weren't a force last season, we blew it.

Edited by rigger
  • Like 2

Just now, rigger said:

They weren't a force last season, we blew it.

Well, there's that. They are/were nothing special - that's on us though. But they won't even be what they are now. Not a pot to piss in and losing their best two players.

2 minutes ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

Well done to Luton. They finished 3rd so they deserve it. 

It's huge for that football club. 20 years ago, If you told me Brighton, Luton, Brentford and Bournemouth were in the PL - i'd call the police to report a psycho.

• Like 3

You don't have to be that old to remember Luton being in what was the First Division and winning silverware. In fact Luton voted for the formation of the Premier League so it isn't that long ago. Prior to that the previous time they got relegated from the First Division was a few days after I was born...

2 hours ago, Gav said:

Luton have certainly broken the mould here, 90% of the time clubs with Premiership money take the promotion places, but not on this occasion, well done to them, it shows what can be achieved, especially with them coming back from the abyss! 

I remember them back in 80's being in the first division (Brian Stein, Paul Walsh and Mick Hartford), a pipe dream for Blackburn Rovers at that time, they also won the league cup at Wembley beating a very good Arsenal side, so they do have pedigree.

Good effort. 

They've done well on a shoe string but pedigree? Nah.  They've won 1 trophy in their history 

10 minutes ago, philipl said:

You don't have to be that old to remember Luton being in what was the First Division and winning silverware. In fact Luton voted for the formation of the Premier League so it isn't that long ago. Prior to that the previous time they got relegated from the First Division was a few days after I was born...

I'm not talking Luton in isolation - all of them.

1 minute ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

All this such-and-such are a 'small club' and have no history and it should be us etc is entitled bollocks. It's irrelevant how many trophies you won 30 years ago. It's like walking round with your gut hanging over the elastic on your shit-stained joggers and telling everyone you used to date the prettiest girl in town.

Luton are now in the Prem because they deserve to be.

Quaint lol.

1 hour ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

All this such-and-such are a 'small club' and have no history and it should be us etc is entitled bollocks. It's irrelevant how many trophies you won 30 years ago. It's like walking round with your gut hanging over the elastic on your shit-stained joggers and telling everyone you used to date the prettiest girl in town.

Luton are now in the Prem because they deserve to be.

I can’t argue with that. Results show they were the third best team in the league.

Luton are a good club, decent sized fanbase (hidden by the fact that their ground is so small), they’ve won a major trophy in the past, spent a fair bit of time in the top flight, they aren’t anything like a Bournemouth that actually came from nowhere.

7 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

All depends how those teams come down and up perform. Those teams coming down from PL will need a new manager in the case of Southampton and Leeds or Leicester maybe Everton(who knows what they do) plus squad rebuilds 

West Brom have ownership issues

GB has made the changes needed following the January failure to sign a striker and O'Brien deals done 

The phrase the horse has already bolted comes to mind here chaddy, gb ruined our best chance of promotion by not getting a few simple things right in January , he might be able to give you a bit of lip service and all is forgiven but he will need to do a lot more to convince me 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

The phrase the horse has already bolted comes to mind here chaddy, gb ruined our best chance of promotion by not getting a few simple things right in January , he might be able to give you a bit of lip service and all is forgiven but he will need to do a lot more to convince me 

GB didn't ruined our best chance of promotion. lets look at what actually, we agreed with 2 players to come here. Both loans. Undav deal was agreed between the clubs and Undav did an u-turn on the move. On Lorient striker was on his way until Nice bid for their main striker and signed him meaning he couldn't come here. Not sure GB could have been blame for those circumstances. Yes we should have sign a striker in January whether it someone like Scott Hogan on 18 month contract for example and cheap fee. 

GB said we would get some transfer business done early and we got 1 deal done already which no one was expecting including myself. 

I was watching it in Bridlington and was disappointed on behalf of the people I know who went. I'd hate to be there after we lost to a penalty shootout. The Euros were awful. It's good to see another unfashionable team promoted though, and one that is not secretly backed by Russian oligarchs like Bournemouth.

• Moderation Lead
21 hours ago, BigBar said:

Well done Amari Bell, got far too much stick on here and this isn't an "I told you so" moment but he always had ability and was direct and on the front foot. He's been a massive part of their success and goes to show how effective a player can be when he has confidence and is coached properly. 

Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Name me one good performance of his in our colours. He was absolutely garbage here.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Broughton didn't ruin anything by nearly signing players? Aye, ok then.

Yes a striker should have been sign in January but the Undav, Kone and O'Brien transfers failures weren't down to him if you look at it from objective viewpoint