BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Champions League campaign 95/96

I was almost signed up and booked on the trip to Moscow, so glad I never bothered with the players on the ale and Batty vrs Le Saux handbags live on national Tv.

Rubbish group for the fans, we had dreams of Barcelona, Madrid and Milan……

• Like 1

My money would have been on Batty.

I heard an interview with Sutton recently who said everyone in the dressing room wanted to plant one of Le Saux at this time, he never elaborated as to why.

Edited by Gav

I was too young to go on my own and remember being told "we can watch the games on ITV". That's what we ended up doing.

I've always been intrigued by the visiting fans for those group games at Ewood, for some reason. Wondering how many they bought, were they loud etc. I read somewhere that one of the opponents only bought 50 or so fans and were placed in the Jack Walker Upper Tier. How true that is, I don't know.

A dull group to end up with when you consider the possibilities. Favourite memory, Mike Newell's hat-trick, even though it was in a dead rubber game.

12 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

Aye, if we we going to get knocked out in the group stage anyway, at least let it be a glamorous group.

I remember thinking the likes of Barca, Bayern Munich, AC Milan would be playing at Ewood and then the draw comes out and it the Z listers of the Champions League.  I remember over in Ireland they werent even going to bother showing the games as the group was so underwhelming.  They were going to show Rangers instead.  In thr end they showed the first 2 games but when we lost both they showed Rangers instead.  From memory the last game with Mike Newells hat trick wasn't on tv here due to loss of interest. 

12 hours ago, Nuttall is lost said:

I remember thinking the likes of Barca, Bayern Munich, AC Milan would be playing at Ewood and then the draw comes out and it the Z listers of the Champions League.  I remember over in Ireland they werent even going to bother showing the games as the group was so underwhelming.  They were going to show Rangers instead.  In thr end they showed the first 2 games but when we lost both they showed Rangers instead.  From memory the last game with Mike Newells hat trick wasn't on tv here due to loss of interest. 

It was, but only in the North West. All the other regions showed the Rangers game.

Why, I'm not sure as they didn't even win a game in there group, at least we managed one!

Edited by MarkBRFC