BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Shaping The Reaction to Neil Etheridge on Tuesday…

• Backroom
37 minutes ago, JoeH said:

I'd rather the club be accused of over egging the pudding, than be accused of allowing issues to fester and grow.

A fair point.

BUT

It would've been easy to address the incidents separately even within one statement than to word it as Waggott did.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mike E said:

A fair point.

BUT

It would've been easy to address the incidents separately even within one statement than to word it as Waggott did.

It is pedantic to focus on the statement considering the bigger picture. Turning this into a debate about Waggott is missing the point and unnecessary. 

• Like 1

• Backroom
18 minutes ago, magicalmortensleftpeg said:

It is pedantic to focus on the statement considering the bigger picture. Turning this into a debate about Waggott is missing the point and unnecessary. 

I don't think it's pedantry to avoid a misunderstanding.

A statement condemning a racism incident, and condemning wider antisocial behaviour is absolutely fine.

However, it is worded in such a way as to be easily misconstrued (deliberately, by the wrong people) as racism being a wider problem in our fanbase than it is.

It might be pedantic, but that's just another way of saying it's right.

• Like 4

Just to check, we do all know that we have more than one racist fan, right? Just that some people are talking like it's just one guy. This incident is, yes, but I think it's 100% accurate to say we have 'a mindless minority' who are racist - just like every single other club in world football will. I've even heard it myself at the ground on several occasions (not for a long time now I'll grant, but I get to a lot less games than I used to) and nearly kicked off with someone over it once.

Whilst I understand concerns about optics, I think it's accurate language.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Ianrally said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lancashire-64517794

The EFL said, Birmingham City said, Lancashire Constabulary said, but nothing from Blackburn Rovers ?

Rovers released a statement on it yesterday on their website. As much as I’m putting the boot into the club this week, it’s probably not their fault the BBC doesn’t quote them.