BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Shaping The Reaction to Neil Etheridge on Tuesday…

Good message and good strategy.

The trouble is I suspect that others will be seeking to utilise this for their own agenda. i.e. the Brum manager and players to unite their team and fans against "the enemy". I think that was partly what was going on on Saturday after the equaliser.

No place for racism end of. However, given that this is our message board, is all as it seems here ? Is it safe to wonder about overreaction and a deliberate, tactical use of the "racism card.

Edited by Leonard Venkhater

52 minutes ago, Leonard Venkhater said:

Good message and good strategy.

The trouble is I suspect that others will be seeking to utilise this for their own agenda. i.e. the Brum manager and players to unite their team and fans against "the enemy". I think that was partly what was going on on Saturday after the equaliser.

No place for racism end of. However, given that this is our message board, is all as it seems here ? Is it safe to wonder about overreaction and a deliberate, tactical use of the "racism card.

I’d expect their fans to “galvanise” around the issue TBH…let’s put it that way.
if I was the Blues manager I’d consider using it as a motivational tool TBH.
If the roles were reversed, then as a fan I’d really get behind our player for sure.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, J*B said:

A very poorly worded statement from our CEO today on a very important subject. 

A “mindless minority” is anything between 1% and 49%. A mindless minority is categorically not the case, we are speaking specifically about one individual fan. This statement plays right into the Judan Ali narrative and should be changed on the record to reflect that. 

A249494C-D36F-412A-ADDC-BD3577CCE96F.jpeg

He did the absolute bare minimum, what more do you want?

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, J*B said:

A “mindless minority” is anything between 1% and 49%. A mindless minority is categorically not the case, we are speaking specifically about one individual fan. This statement plays right into the Judan Ali narrative and should be changed on the record to reflect that. 

I’ve asked the club to change this and they ‘respectfully disagree’ with my concern. 

I believe under the headline: Blackburn Rovers wish to provide the following update regarding the report of racial abuse during Saturday's FA Cup fixture against Birmingham City.

The following statement reads as if their is a minority of racist fans: "Blackburn Rovers condemns all forms of discrimination and we will seek the strongest possible sanctions in order to tackle anti-social and/or criminal behaviour. The mindless minority who choose to disrespect the club and behave in an offensive manner are not welcome at Ewood Park.”

The club believes it is clear two separate issues are being discussed, anti social behaviour and racism. I don’t — and to go further — think the two are separate issues that should be addressed separately to avoid confusion.

I suspect the narrative from those wanting to put the people of Blackburn, and Rovers fans under a bad light will be “a mindless minority… racist abuse”. If my suspicious are correct this could taint our club and our people for a long time to come. 

37F88BF8-B092-4F34-AD70-7B24412C3B29.jpeg

AC4861B3-8284-4594-9EAE-DDEC73B4736C.jpeg

• Like 4

5 hours ago, J*B said:

I find the passion with which this statement is being challenged to be a bit odd. It's semantics and the opinions of people like Judan Ali simply aren't important and can be easily ignored. 

The fan who's made a racist comment is an individual, however, it's pretty clear that Steve talking about anti social and criminal behaviour in general during the statement. He says "the minority who choose to disrespect the club and behave in an offensive manner". In the last few years we've had a few other issues, not all pertaining to racism.

It's a harsh statement granted, but it was needed. The club have got to be seen to be responding promptly and I guess harshly to something really unacceptable that happened. 

4 hours ago, J*B said:

I’ve asked the club to change this and they ‘respectfully disagree’ with my concern. 

I believe under the headline: Blackburn Rovers wish to provide the following update regarding the report of racial abuse during Saturday's FA Cup fixture against Birmingham City.

The following statement reads as if their is a minority of racist fans: "Blackburn Rovers condemns all forms of discrimination and we will seek the strongest possible sanctions in order to tackle anti-social and/or criminal behaviour. The mindless minority who choose to disrespect the club and behave in an offensive manner are not welcome at Ewood Park.”

The club believes it is clear two separate issues are being discussed, anti social behaviour and racism. I don’t — and to go further — think the two are separate issues that should be addressed separately to avoid confusion.

I suspect the narrative from those wanting to put the people of Blackburn, and Rovers fans under a bad light will be “a mindless minority… racist abuse”. If my suspicious are correct this could taint our club and our people for a long time to come. 

37F88BF8-B092-4F34-AD70-7B24412C3B29.jpeg

AC4861B3-8284-4594-9EAE-DDEC73B4736C.jpeg

You're spot on here, a minority certainly won't be seen as a single person when that statement is read by those not at the game or even those not nearby to the incident that took place.

Yet again it is an example of Waggott not giving a flying fuck about the fanbase that are the very core of this club. It he cared about the fans, valued the fanbase and dare I say even felt a part of it there is no way those words would be used.

However, his remit appears to be to slowly breakdown the entire fanbase one straw at a time and if that is the case, he is truly doing a sterling job.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, JoeH said:

I find the passion with which this statement is being challenged to be a bit odd. It's semantics and the opinions of people like Judan Ali simply aren't important and can be easily ignored. 

The fan who's made a racist comment is an individual, however, it's pretty clear that Steve talking about anti social and criminal behaviour in general during the statement. He says "the minority who choose to disrespect the club and behave in an offensive manner". In the last few years we've had a few other issues, not all pertaining to racism.

It's a harsh statement granted, but it was needed. The club have got to be seen to be responding promptly and I guess harshly to something really unacceptable that happened. 

Wrong

• Like 1

6 hours ago, OldEwoodBlue said:

What was allegededly said to him ?

Does anybody even know ?

I was sat at the top of the BE for the game. I’m sure I saw Etheridge and the referee pointing to his eyes. So I’m only guessing it may be something to do with him being from the Philippines.  

Judan Ali has been given pelters on Twitter about his post, stating that Blackburn Rovers fans are racist.

I know we can't all sue him, but I think he needs putting in his place as we are not racist fans, but like all other clubs, have a minority who do things like this.

Maybe a statement from the fans forum or something, as he should not be able to get away with this either, just as is the case with the fan, who did it.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, lraC said:

Judan Ali has been given pelters on Twitter about his post, stating that Blackburn Rovers fans are racist.

I know we can't all sue him, but I think he needs putting in his place as we are not racist fans, but like all other clubs, have a minority who do things like this.

Maybe a statement from the fans forum or something, as he should not be able to get away with this either, just as is the case with the fan, who did it.

There is a statement from the Chair of the Fans Forum attached to the club statement on the website.

I'm with JoeH. The particular focus right now is on the specific incident on Saturday. But anyone who has been to away games in recent months knows that fan behaviour is a growing problem amongst a certain minority of Rovers fans. It's not racism in most cases but there is plenty of pretty disgusting behaviour happening. It is very much a minority and I don't think it's specifically a Rovers problem but it's very much there and needs highlighting.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, only2garners said:

There is a statement from the Chair of the Fans Forum attached to the club statement on the website.

I'm with JoeH. The particular focus right now is on the specific incident on Saturday. But anyone who has been to away games in recent months knows that fan behaviour is a growing problem amongst a certain minority of Rovers fans. It's not racism in most cases but there is plenty of pretty disgusting behaviour happening. It is very much a minority and I don't think it's specifically a Rovers problem but it's very much there and needs highlighting.

Conflating the two in the single statement is arguably a sub-optimal tactic…

• Like 1

Just now, Herbie6590 said:

Conflating the two in the single statement is arguably a sub-optimal tactic…

It wasn't particularly our idea Herbie. Mike wrote the statement and sent it over yesterday but it got there after the club's statement had been issued. I presume they have just tagged it on.

• Like 1