BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

The attendance for the Newcastle game of 22,730 just doesn't add up.

Approx in each stand including corporate. 

JW - 9.5k

BBE - 4.8K

RS - 2.5K

DE - 7.5K

Total = 24.3k

Look at it another way 

Capacity of Ewood is 31,367

take 22,730 you're left with 

8,637 empty seats.

BBE upper - 2,900

RS - 2K

DE - 400

JW - 500

Total 5,800 empty seats

If all were sold that's a sold out stadium of 27,530?

Were have the missing 3k seats gone?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, damo100 said:

JW - 9.5k

BBE - 4.8K

RS - 2.5K

DE - 7.5K

Total = 24.3k

Look at it another way 

8,637 empty seats.

BBE upper - 2,900

RS - 2K

DE - 400

JW - 500

Total 5,800 empty seats

Watching it on TV, there were plenty of empty seats in the Walkersteel and Jack Walker stands.  

2 hours ago, philipl said:

Watching it on TV, there were plenty of empty seats in the Walkersteel and Jack Walker stands.  

Riverside yes, Jack Walker not really.

The directors seats apart it was pretty full 

Forest about 31,367. From memory the highest crowd the ‘new’ Ewood has ever had was something like 30,800 against Liverpool in the 90s - a complete sell out.

So that gives you 8,000 empty seats on Tuesday.

3,000 in the BEnd Upper, 100 or so in the lower, 500 in the Darwen End, c2,000 in the JW, c2000 or so in the Riverside. Add corporate, disabled etc to that and seems fair enough to me.

• Like 1

I wondered the same when I saw a list of our highest attendances post-relegation. The Liverpool QF replay in 2015 and Oxford game in 2018 were both 'sold out' I'm quite sure, yet the attendances were about 28,400 for Liverpool and 27,600 for Oxford.

I don't understand where 2000 empty seats were in the Jack Walker stand. From the seat planner and TV there were perhaps a couple of hundred in the bottom corner of the family stand and upper top corner, then the small block nearest the Darwen End. That is 14 rows of about 10-12 seats, maybe 150 total. So unless there were 1500 empty seats in the directors box I'd be surprised with that.

BBE lower was virtually full. A sprinkling of single seats here and there, can't imagine any less than 4900 in there.

The number announced was about 2000 short of what I'd expected.

But yeah, sums up the operation when with a 2/3 full ground they can't cope and have to delay kick off.

Just now, frosty said:

I wondered the same when I saw a list of our highest attendances post-relegation. The Liverpool QF replay in 2015 and Oxford game in 2018 were both 'sold out' I'm quite sure, yet the attendances were about 28,400 for Liverpool and 27,600 for Oxford.

Neither were sellouts. Oxford only filled about half the DE upper so over 1500 empty up there and then the lower tier wasn't completely full, nor were the top corners of the BBE.

For some reason we never fill the full capacity of the DE these days whereas back in the 90s I'm sure they got an extra 300-400 in there. 

Against Newcastle there were chunks of seats in the bottom corners empty.

• Like 2

Yeah the fact we had 27,600 for Oxford when there were certainly 2,000 empty seats in the Darwen End and a fair few in the BEnd Upper says there’s no funny business going on.

Think we are so used to rattling around at Ewood we over-estimate the gate for such games as the ground ‘looks and feels’ much fuller than usual.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, JHRover said:

Neither were sellouts. Oxford only filled about half the DE upper so over 1500 empty up there and then the lower tier wasn't completely full, nor were the top corners of the BBE.

For some reason we never fill the full capacity of the DE these days whereas back in the 90s I'm sure they got an extra 300-400 in there. 

Against Newcastle there were chunks of seats in the bottom corners empty.

Maybe it's never quite filled because Maggot is saving pennies from police/stewards

15 hours ago, damo100 said:

JW - 9.5k

BBE - 4.8K

RS - 2.5K

DE - 7.5K

Total = 24.3k

Look at it another way 

8,637 empty seats.

BBE upper - 2,900

RS - 2K

DE - 400

JW - 500

Total 5,800 empty seats

I was talking about this to somebody myself

Was there really enough space in the ground to empty the JW and seat them elsewhere?

Something doesn't add up

Of course it does, we were 8,000 short of capacity, not 10k which the JW holds.

As I said before -

3,000 in the BEnd Upper, 100 or so in the lower, 500 in the Darwen End, c2,000 in the JW, c2000 or so in the Riverside. Add corporate, disabled etc to that and seems fair enough to me.

No conspiracy here.

2 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

Of course it does, we were 8,000 short of capacity, not 10k which the JW holds.

As I said before -

No conspiracy here.

That's nonsense 2k in a pretty much sold out JW stand, try 500.

Corporate was also sold out.

When you do the maths it doesn't work out.

Obviously isn’t nonsense. Both end blocks of the lower tier were pretty much empty, the middle corporate block (Blackburn End side) was at least half empty. The far corners weren’t totally full. 

The crowd has to be reported to the police and the SAG. We were 8,000 short of capacity, simple as that. 

I thought everywhere looked as full as they have for some time, even down in the corners of the JW.
Exception being the Walkersteel, as ever.

But c22k will about right - spare pockets around the ground, top tier of the Blackburn End and the gaps in the Walkersteel would add up to c7k-8k.

I just think the ground looks awful looking at the BBE and having the upper tier shut. 

Visually it would look so much better if open, even with only 500-1000 up there at least it would appear better.

Their incredibly limited efforts at putting people up there via the free tickets to a few schools in Blackburn appear to have ended and they now get put downstairs in the family stand.

With cutback Steve and vile Venkys going nowhere I wonder how long it will be before that area is opened to general admission fans.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Andy said:

I thought everywhere looked as full as they have for some time, even down in the corners of the JW.
Exception being the Walkersteel, as ever.

But c22k will about right - spare pockets around the ground, top tier of the Blackburn End and the gaps in the Walkersteel would add up to c7k-8k.

Of course the figure is right.

The Riverside was fuller for Watford, the JW and Blackburn End were just as busy though. Which makes sense as there were about 1k more home fans in the ground that day over last night.

Got to say I don’t remember any conspiracy theories on here post that game though. 😅

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Mattyblue said:

Obviously isn’t nonsense. Both end blocks of the lower tier were pretty much empty, the middle corporate block (Blackburn End side) was at least half empty. The far corners weren’t totally full. 

The crowd has to be reported to the police and the SAG. We were 8,000 short of capacity, simple as that. 

Bbe no1 corner was absolutely rammed. Never seen it that full . New stewards are maggots minimum wage frauds . Wouldn't let people go to there seats after ht.

Edited by ABBEY

It looked like the Burnley game last season but with 5k more visiting fans in the DE.

I see no issues with the crowd figure at all it's just a pity it wasn't on a Sat at 3pm where we'd have been looking at 25 thousand plus.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, JHRover said:

But yeah, sums up the operation when with a 2/3 full ground they can't cope and have to delay kick off.

Speaking to a couple of geordies after the game, they were saying that there was an issue with the way the barcodes were printed on the tickets and so the turnstiles weren’t reading them - that was the cause of the delay, apparently 🤷‍♂️

Great is modern tech. Imagine a world in the 80s where you could pay cash on the turnstyle and your season ticket was like a raffle book and the rare all ticket event you erm got a paper ticket with no bar code and guess what  you presented it and you erm got in no sweat.

I use turnstiles L and arrived at 7:30pm just as they announced kick off had been delayed. It was chaos and no way would all the home fans have got through the turnstiles in time for 7:45pm.

To make matters worse one of the three turnstiles was closed, but then bizarrely opened at about 7:50pm which of course allowed people to get in much more quickly.

Just come up on my FB timeline:  

"For sheer number of teams: move to London. Boring! For sheer number per capita: the plot thickens. The Telegraph’s Jonathan Liew crunched numbers in 2015 to find England’s “greatest football city” via clubs per population: Manchester, followed by Liverpool and then – interesting! – Blackburn."

• Like 1