BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] How Far Will England Get

We all knew this was coming and it’s a major blow to England.

I feel that the chance now of stopping Henry and Trezeguet up front has become slim now. Not only are they top strikers but Campbell and Terry I think could do a great job by marking them.

Ledley King’s in contention to replace Terry and if King plays like he did in Portugal last February we could be ok, but I fear that they’ll rip our defence to pieces now.

At least Terry will be back for the rest of the tournament. Probably the best defender we have and he’s injured.

Terry fails fitness test

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think we underestimate the talent in our team. The French are out and out favourites - but thinking of the key positions there isn't a lot in it - who would you prefer

Beckham / Pires

Gerrard / Viera

Lampard / Makalele

James / Barthez

The only place we are sadly lacking is Henry and Zidane - to match these players we need Owen to have a better first touch than he has shown so far, and Rooney to play as well as all the hype around him.

There is very little between most of the top sides - and all it takes (as Denmark have shown in the past) is for your key players to be on form, a little luck, and no injuries.

You never know wink.gif

Italy to win it. They have so much class, and I still think that Italy boasts the best club side in Europe-Milan. With the best centre halves in the world (Nesta/Cannavarro) combined with the flair of Totti and the finishing of Vieri, I think they'll just pip France to become champions. Czech's will also suprise a few, gotta be the dark hoarses to win it.

We're still going to win it though.

No we won't.

We'll screw it up just like we have done for the past 40 years.

And the previous 100 years

Edited by colin

I think we underestimate the talent in our team. The French are out and out favourites - but thinking of the key positions there isn't a lot in it - who would you prefer

Beckham / Pires

Gerrard / Viera

Lampard / Makalele

James / Barthez

The only place we are sadly lacking is Henry and Zidane - to match these players we need Owen to have a better first touch than he has shown so far, and Rooney to play as well as all the hype around him.

There is very little between most of the top sides - and all it takes (as Denmark have shown in the past) is for your key players to be on form, a little luck, and no injuries.

You never know wink.gif

Out of those four matchups, I only favor Lampard over Makelele, and only just.

England have no chance at all to win the tournament.

The only thing that worries me is our defence. With Terry out we are seriously down to the dregs, and no disrespect to King or Carragher - but they are not world calss in my opinion. Henry and Trez with rip them apart.

I can see us losing to France, scraping a draw against Switz and beating Croatia. We'll probably then face either Portugal or Spain in the 1/4's - neither of whom I fancy our chances against given they are more used to the conditions (ie: flipping hot - look how we folded against the Brazilians in the last World Cup).

Anything less than semi's is a bad tournament for Sven, but I cant see us getting there.

Accyrover

Can't see england doing all that well. we'll get slaughtered against the french.

Already 4 english fans arrested, if that continues then we may be out of tournament before the quarters.

Can't believe the Sun shone the england flag on the arc de trumiph, a bit silly and probably even more embarrassing after tonights game sad.gif

• 2 weeks later...

England will come either third or fourth in the qualifying group.

We'll beat france, draw to Switzerland and lose to Croatia and still go out.

We're crap.

Not gonna get past the group stages.

Sad to say I have to agree their.

heart says win......head says 3 in group.

The England squad will all be departing to their respective summer holiday destinations by June 26th............if not earlier.

Gentleman, if you would like to look to your left we will be serving Humble Pie until Thursday. Please take your reserved piece as soon as possible.

wink.gif

LeChuck – You’ve got me there.

At the time I thought we had no chance. From the friendlies that we played in the build up to the European Championships, we looked less than average with performances against Japan and a win against a poor Iceland team.

I was surprised by the way how we performed heroically against France, very unlucky to come away with nothing.

I also thought that Switzerland or Croatia would prove to be a bit more of a test than they actually were. Croatia at times did pose several threats, without Rooney we might have only just scraped through.

I admit and hold my hands up that I was very wrong, which I’m glad about now.

But I still think that we aren’t good enough to win the competition and I’ll continue to stick by that as there are many other countries that have under-performed so far, although I would love it if we won it.

But I still think that we aren’t good enough to win the competition and I’ll continue to stick by that as there are many other countries that have under-performed so far, although I would love it if we won it.

you said it mate....there are other countrys that have under-performed, just like we have recently, so in that case we have just as much a chance to win it as any other team that are still in the tournament.

England are doing much better than I expected, but...

Calamity James for the first goal

Three pieces of Keystone Cops defending went unpunished by the Croatians last night.

Phil Neville made the worst substitute appearance since Ali Diao (George Weah's "cousin")

Beckham?

Portugal in the last eight is a huge match- the home team have more than enough individual talent to beat us but at least the English players are used to nullifying Ronaldo. For once, my gut feel is for England to go through- kiss of death!

With Spain out, Italy Totti-ing and Germany in trouble, there could be an unexpected opponent at the semi-final stage.

• Backroom
glad im wrong....but james will cost us.

I'm with you Abbs... I don't rate James at all and every time the ball goes anywhere near our penalty area I get a panic attack unsure.gif

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.