SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

New Manager is Mark Hughes

3rdpillar

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So far I've refrained on commentating on Souness' replacement in order to wait and see who emerged as prospective candidates. I imagine all the contenders are now out in the open, and that, baring a Souness to Newcastle scale surprise appointment, our new manager will be one of those already discussed in the media.

I'm not too disappointed Souness has left, due mainly to the calibre of the managers being linked with the job. Thankfully Graeme did us a favour and jumped before he was pushed, saving us from forking out a hefty compensation sum for sacking him, in fact ending up making the hapless Geordies pay for the dubious privelege of his presence at their club. Graeme Souness did a fantastic job during the majority of his spell at Rovers, clearing out the detritus from the Kidd-experiment debacle, and winning the club our first ever league cup, and first cup of any sort in seventy-four years. Souness was the second most successful Rovers manager during the lifetime of most of those who follow our great club, and he deserves praise and due gratitude for his achievements. However, it was the right time for him to depart, the club as a whole needed a man with a novel approach.

Tony Parkes comments about Rovers needing a fresh young manager seem to tie in with most of the names being linked with the job, even better they seem to rule out my two least prefered choices. Thankfully, with all due respect to Tony and the tremendous loyalty he has shown to the club, it would also seem to rule him out of the running, a fortuitous state of affairs given the events that characterised his last period at the helm, especially the attempt to flog a young David Dunn to Manchester City for peanuts.

So onto the men in the frame. Most of those being most closely linked with the job share similar valuable attributes, but also each possesses some unique qualities for John Williams to use to pick his man.

In order of preference my choices would be:

1. Gordan Strachan - the wee fiery Scot has already shown at Southampton

that he can build on the initial success of another manager. It's debatable what proportion of Southampton's success in recent times was due to Strachan, and what was down to Glenn Hoddle's early influence. Given the lack of success Glenn had later at Tottenham, and the continued progression of the Saints under Strachan's tutelege, I would tend towards the view that Strachan contributed far more to the club's fortunes during his time there, than Hoddle's flash in the pan achievements. We can also look forward to some absolute gems from the wee man during interviews, a welcome relief to the staleness of Souness' constant carping on about lady luck and penalties. Even with our current squad and the club in the predicament in which we find ourselves, I'd be confident of Rovers finishing comfortably in the top half of the Premiership table this season with Strachan at the helm of the club. The only downside I can see to appointing Strachan is if we ever wished to re-sign James Beattie in the future...

2. Mark Hughes - the complete opposite of Graeme Souness, the softly spoken Welshman carries a lot of weight among his fellow professionals for his contribution to Manchester United's success during the nineties, and could potentially entice big name players to Rovers due to this reputation. A number of the current Rovers squad would likely take kindly to the appointment of a likeable ex-teammate to the manager's role at the club. Hughes has shown remarkable managerial talent in transforming a lop-sided Welsh squad into real contenders for a place in major championship finals. I note the presence earlier in this thread of the ludicrous suggestions that Hughes should have easily been able waltz through qualifying groups with this Welsh team, that they should easily beat teams of the quality of Russia, and most laughable of all that the current Welsh team is far better than the one which competed at the 1958 World Cup in Sweden. Such comments reflect more the scale of the posters footballing (lack of) knowledge than anything about Mark Hughes' abilities. The only question about Hughes is whether he can transfer the success he has achieved on the international scene to his first venture into club management. It doesn't always turn out that way, Roy Hodgson's contrasting fortunes as manager of Switzerland and Rovers being an obvious example. Hughes is more of a gamble than Strachan, his appointment could be the best thing to happen to Rovers since Jack Walker came along, or it could all end in tears.

3. Iain Dowie - almost unbelievably successful at both Crystal Palace and Oldham Athletic given the lack of resources at his disposal. Someone will take the chance sooner or later to see whether he can replicate that success at a Premiership level club, which with all respect to his current employers at Palace, they most certainly are not. Assuredly a lesser name than Strachan or Hughes, the club's strategy for the future would have to be altered substantially if Dowie were to be appointed. It's already been pointed out several times that there are complications to dealing with an employee of Simon Jordan's however.

4. David Moyes - a long way behind the first three for me, he's done acceptably, but not spectacularly, since his arrival at Everton. To be honest I'd rate him at the same level as a manager as Souness. Despite all the superlatives lavished on Moyes by third-rate tabloid hacks, he isn't all he's cracked up to be.

5. Glenn Hoddle - Whilst I wouldn't dismiss him out of hand like many Rovers fans would, Glenn's management style at times leaves anything approaching sense floundering desperately in his wake. Would probably succeed in keeping Rovers in the Premiership this year, but I wouldn't be expecting much beyond that.

No way - Gerard Houllier - I've posted several times before of my opinion on Houllier whilst he was at Liverpool, so I'll keep this short. If we want boring defensive football, expensive poor-quality French-speaking imports, absolutely no success, and in all probability relegation to the Conference, then by all means appoint the clueless French Owl.

Even no-er way - Dick Advocat - the man who single-handedly destroyed Glasgow Rangers domination of the Scottish league and rendered the Dutch national team incapable of playing the game of football. Two things I'm extremely grateful for, thanks Dick. His man-management skills make Souness' look incredibly good, his tactical nous is non-existent, and he's Dutch to boot.

Craig Levine has stated the reason he kept quiet when asked about the rovers job is because he was flattered . (phone call from my soctish mate who reads the daily record)

dont shoot the messenger just passing on what I heard

Quote - 'its flattering to be linked with big clubs especially one as big as them'

'but I cant afford to be distracted or we will be in trouble'

He thinks we are a big club? Cross him off the list he's obviously tapped. I was thinking he might be worth a shot too.

I wonder about Hughes' 'comments' from Sky Sports today. Maybe we're not getting the full story. he says he won't give up the Wales job to join Rovers (after Saturday's debacle who can blame him ?) but he doesn't say he won't do BOTH jobs, the Welsh one part time.

My money's now going on Strachan though. Please God, not Dowie. He's a one season wonder. Palace are truly awful right now.

Whatever happens, can we be put out of our misey soon - we need to appoint someone quick for Saturday.

Accyrover

I wonder about Hughes' 'comments' from Sky Sports today. Maybe we're not getting the full story. he says he won't give up the Wales job to join Rovers (after Saturday's debacle who can blame him ?) but he doesn't say he won't do BOTH jobs, the Welsh one part time.

My money's now going on Strachan though. Please God, not Dowie. He's a one season wonder. Palace are truly awful right now.

Whatever happens, can we be put out of our misey soon - we need to appoint someone quick for Saturday.

Accyrover

maybe they are awful because they have no money to buy any players. They are playing just as bad as we are but at lest their players have a bit of bottle.

He's hardly a one season wonder, he nearly managed to get Oldham promoted while they were in administration and had to sell their best players.

If your calling Dowie a one season wonder, you could do the same to Hughes.

also , if hughes hadnt played for us before, I really doubt that he would be such a popular choice

Edited by greggyk

Managers, and clubs they've managed

Strachan - Coventry & Southmapton (got them to cup final)

Dowie - Oldham & Crystal Palace (won promotion)

Hughes - Wales (play-off, euro 2004)

Robson - Middlesborough & Bradford

Moyes - Preston & Everton (finished 6th, season 02/03)

Managers, and clubs they've managed

Strachan - Coventry & Southmapton (got them to cup final)

Dowie - Oldham & Crystal Palace (won promotion)

Hughes - Wales (play-off, euro 2004)

Robson - Middlesborough & Bradford

Moyes - Preston & Everton (finished 6th, season 02/03)

Robson - Middlesborough & Bradford (Got Boro to Two Cup Finals and got them promoted and relegated)

Moyes - Preston & Everton (finished 6th, season 02/03 and Got PNE promoted)

The way i se it is (sorry if already mentioned) that the players are coming out and saying how much they would like Mark Hughes like wise Parkes has said the same.

I really dont think they would be saying that if anyone else would be coming in. Think those comments from the players give it away abit.

Unless Souness was giving them lessons in lying to the media rather than concentrating on playing Football.

I don't think Hughes has ruled himself out by his comments. He just said he wouldn't leave Wales but he may keep the Wales job part time until they get dumped out of the World Cup even if he gets the Rovers job.

Is Advocaat really the favourity, please God no. Just look at the SPL table to see what has happened to Rangers. We do not want this man at our club ....he would be a disaster.

I heard Craig Levein on Radio Forth this afternoon. He said he was flattered but had a huge job on at Hearts. He was being pretty non-committal I thought.

Has anyone mentioned King Kenny as a potential? What about a King Kenny / Mike Newell dream ticket. Apparantly they have been seen playing a round of golf at Wilpshire and having a pie and pint in the Brownhill Arms.

I think KK will keep his clubs at his side. He has not got the energy to come out of retirement, he does not need the money, the hassle and in any case it would only make his handicap suffer.

If Rovers are to wait for a while then there can be only one choice....

wait for it........

dont laugh........

I mean it........

dry.gif

RON ATKINSON is currntly unemployed rolleyes.gifbiggrin.gif

With Bryan Robsons odds suddenly shortening there has to be some rumour doing the rounds.

My theory is that Hughes is not out of the picture and that he will continue to manage Wales on a part-time basis. He will also take up the managerial role at Ewood and bring Bryan Robson along with him as his assisstant.

Apparently Newcastle were thinking of appointing George Graham but decided on GS. Dont think he is what we need though!

Papers quiet today on any new info regarding the manager- our board must be good at keeping things quiet or discussions about what to do are still taking place.

I think a big over reaction to Hughes comments that have come out today, all he said is bascially he hasnt been approached.

Problem I dont like for any manager experienced or not is that they are coming straight into a relegation battle!!