BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Say What

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/32704501

Leeds United have had their transfer embargo lifted after six months, reports BBC Radio Leeds.

In December, United were placed under embargo until the season's end after breaching Financial Fair Play rules.

To have had the embargo lifted, the Championship side will have needed to stay within an operating loss of no more than £3m, with a maximum of £3m of shareholder investment this season.

Did they manage to clear up, or reduce their Operating loss that quickly?

but surely if these clubs are all now fighting to get out of it, why Mr Shelfman sitting and doing nothing? We all know the answer, but its ridiculous that the club just says okay give us our punishment

but surely if these clubs are all now fighting to get out of it, why Mr Shelfman sitting and doing nothing? We all know the answer, but its ridiculous that the club just says okay give us our punishment

We are told you read this board ...any answers Mr Shaw or are you to scared to speak the truth ?

Interesting. It appears Leeds have pulled off another miraculous accounting trick along similar lines to the miracles seen at Bolton and Middlesbrough.

So lets get this right, as recently as January their accounts showed an unacceptable loss i.e. well above and beyond the £8 million allowance. Within the space of 6 months, with no player sales, numerous pay-offs to fired staff and an owner suspended for 3 months for breaching the fit and proper persons test they have not only reduced their losses, but got them down so much to convince the league they are at least on course to get below £8 million.

Nonsense.

At least we know that the dozen live Sky games they had at more than £100,000 per match has helped though.

If QPR are indeed challenging the rules in the Courts then the rules should be suspended for all clubs in the league. It is completely unfair that Rovers, Forest and recently Leeds have been punished and will continue to be punished whilst the biggest offenders in English football are able to delay their own punishment by starting legal proceedings.

What happens if QPR are successful? Would Rovers and Forest not be able to claim compensation after being restricted by rules that don't stand up in Court?

I just wish Rovers and Forest had got together and applied pressure as QPR are doing now.

There's absolutely no chance of QPR getting their comeuppance as there is no way they will be able to enforce a fine of tens of millions of pounds and no way they will drop them down to the Conference.

Everyone is getting their knickers in a twist but we don't know what thier operating losses were to even begin to judge them with our club. Or what has gone on behind the scenes to convince the FA to lift the embargo.

I could well imagine we lost a hell of a lot more than Leeds last year.

Don't our finances get released soon? Should get some idea of how the club is trying to come in line.

I would imagine the new sponsorship deal will help in our attempts to drive down the deficit, this alone suggests the club are trying to deal with it.

I doubt Leeds have been paying off players to the tune of £1million or more just to get them off the wage bill like rovers have, Bradley Ors parting gift will be another large sum in the outgoings column for Rovers.

Of all the clubs under embargo I would wager we are in the worst position moving forwards.

Leeds have a much bigger match-day income. As do Forest.

The p'take is Bolton staying out of it. But then again they have developed other businesses adding to the coffers.

I fear FFP won't let us go until we are league 1.

Everyone is getting their knickers in a twist but we don't know what thier operating losses were to even begin to judge them with our club. Or what has gone on behind the scenes to convince the FA to lift the embargo.

I could well imagine we lost a hell of a lot more than Leeds last year.

Don't our finances get released soon? Should get some idea of how the club is trying to come in line.

I would imagine the new sponsorship deal will help in our attempts to drive down the deficit, this alone suggests the club are trying to deal with it.

I doubt Leeds have been paying off players to the tune of £1million or more just to get them off the wage bill like rovers have, Bradley Ors parting gift will be another large sum in the outgoings column for Rovers.

Of all the clubs under embargo I would wager we are in the worst position moving forwards.

Leeds posted losses of £23million when they were embargoed.

Leeds posted losses of £23million when they were embargoed.

Cheers, that's quite a considerable loss and I would imagine full disclosure would need to be provided to clarify how they have managed too get themselves heading in the right direction.

We're working on the assumption here that the rules are being strictly and consistently enforced across the board.

The fact that Middlesbrough, Bolton, Brighton, QPR, Leicester and Cardiff have all lost well above and beyond the £8 million in their most recent accounts but have been let off the hook suggests there is leeway and scope for wriggling, and a lack of consistency.

Other than Robinson, Best and Rhodes do we have anyone on wages beyond our capabilities? Two of those will be leaving within the next 12 months and we won't miss either from a footballing perspective.

The rules enable clubs, regardless of crowds, to keep one or two big earners, especially when the allowance will be going up in a couple of years anyway. So whether we have Rhodes or not we should be compliant once the others are out of the club.

It will be interesting to watch the QPR situation unfold, because things could get very messy legally speaking. QPR are going to get the best lawyers can buy involved to avoid that fine, and it wouldn't surprise me if the whole scheme was dismantled as the realisation dawns that they aren't going to be able to get it off the ground.

Nobody has mentioned what is going to happen to Hull if they come down, because surely they can't be compliant with the money they have spent. £40 million on players in the last 2 windows?

We're working on the assumption here that the rules are being strictly and consistently enforced across the board.

The fact that Middlesbrough, Bolton, Brighton, QPR, Leicester and Cardiff have all lost well above and beyond the £8 million in their most recent accounts but have been let off the hook suggests there is leeway and scope for wriggling, and a lack of consistency.

Other than Robinson, Best and Rhodes do we have anyone on wages beyond our capabilities? Two of those will be leaving within the next 12 months and we won't miss either from a footballing perspective.

The rules enable clubs, regardless of crowds, to keep one or two big earners, especially when the allowance will be going up in a couple of years anyway. So whether we have Rhodes or not we should be compliant once the others are out of the club.

It will be interesting to watch the QPR situation unfold, because things could get very messy legally speaking. QPR are going to get the best lawyers can buy involved to avoid that fine, and it wouldn't surprise me if the whole scheme was dismantled as the realisation dawns that they aren't going to be able to get it off the ground.

Nobody has mentioned what is going to happen to Hull if they come down, because surely they can't be compliant with the money they have spent. £40 million on players in the last 2 windows?

But Hull have the benefit of two seasons bumper premier league revenue. Do you not think it's likely they are close too if not well within FFP regulations?

The rules have nothing to do with allowing clubs to have 1 or 2 high earners, it's about spending what you can afford and if you go above then not spending so wildly that the clubs existence comes into question. Hence why Rovers have absolutely and unquestionably broken FFP. The accounts do not lie, we have for two seasons at least consistently reported huge loses.

We can question other clubs lack of sanctions all day long but I don't believe IMO the club can complain we have been sanctioned.

I suppose flogging McCormack for £11million helped.

So really there is nothing to be suspicious about, thanks for the info btw, completely forgot that bumper deal they sealed.

No clever accounting, just a lucky transfer, perhaps Venkys have taken note.

I wonder how many clubs will be queuing up this summer to pay anything like the £10 million offered for Rhodes last summer?

Even including the McCormack sale, Leeds' losses would still be above £12 million, assuming they didn't spend any of that money on new players. If their last accounts showed a loss of £23 million and in the space of 6 months they have got that down to £8 million then I'll eat my hat.

I've no problems with Rovers being punished for breaking the rules, as long as all clubs that break the rules are punished equally, regardless of the extent of the loss. Unfortunately this hasn't happened. I recognise that Rovers have lost more than most, but really that shouldn't matter. All clubs that go above the £8 million should be instantly embargoed.

£8 million is the magic number, and it is a fact that several clubs in this league have lost a lot more than that in their most recent accounts, yet haven't been embargoed. Excuses range from clever accounting to being 'on track' to get their losses down (despite Middlesbrough's losses increasing).

It is a question of fairness and being treated the same, yet the League are able to apply their own discretion and deal with clubs on an individual basis, without publishing their accounts or giving explanations as to how/why they reached their decisions. This leads to suspicion about the consistency of the enforcement of the rules, when it really shouldn't be that difficult to manage.

Its very simple really. Lose more than £8 million and you get punished, lose less than £8 million and you don't. That isn't what has happened so far.

I hope QPR steamroller these rules.

But whatever their losses were at the beginning, to clear them within 6 months is highly unlikely imo. Something doesnt add up there, but its probably the mentality again that its Leeds you know, and they dont deserve to be slapped with fines

No worries people, Degsy will just transfer our embargo onto a ban of buying paperclips, chairs and shelves for a few months

Job sorted,

move along nothing to see here

But Hull have the benefit of two seasons bumper premier league revenue. Do you not think it's likely they are close too if not well within FFP regulations?

The rules have nothing to do with allowing clubs to have 1 or 2 high earners, it's about spending what you can afford and if you go above then not spending so wildly that the clubs existence comes into question. Hence why Rovers have absolutely and unquestionably broken FFP. The accounts do not lie, we have for two seasons at least consistently reported huge loses.

We can question other clubs lack of sanctions all day long but I don't believe IMO the club can complain we have been sanctioned.

So really there is nothing to be suspicious about, thanks for the info btw, completely forgot that bumper deal they sealed.

No clever accounting, just a lucky transfer, perhaps Venkys have taken note.

I wonder how many clubs will be queuing up this summer to pay anything like the £10 million offered for Rhodes last summer?

Another dig at a player who scored 20+ goals for the third year running - despite Bowyer

Another dig at a player who scored 20+ goals for the third year running - despite Bowyer

Wind your neck in.

I was referring to the fact our plight might be interpreted that we are desperate and might just take anything now, specifically lower than the £10 million on offer. Would £10 million have helped us towards coming out of the embargo this summer? Possibly not.

Whatever the case it was not a dig at Rhodes.

either way, we didnt have the balls to challenge the embargo when it was given to us. Yet, other clubs are saying screw this, im going to fight to avoid it

Is it down to craftiness on other clubs behalf ? Are we run by idiots who don't have the brains to be crafty or we are leaving things be so anything dodgy that may or not have been done is kept hushed.

all i want to know is Abbey, why nobody(those in the know) wants to reveal the deep dark secrets that happened at the club. Why is it always "one day all will be revealed" when is THAT DAY?

Archived