BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] News Article -> Whittingham Signs for Rovers

Just now, EgyptianPete said:

Mark Hughes, Kevin Moran are two i can think off that were great for us coming to the end of their careers at a similar age oh and that was in the old second division not third, judge on performance not on age.  

Oops should have read the rest of the thread, no matter others have the same idea. Good signing good start 

I must be missing something Mark Hughes himself was signed on a 1 yr contract initially 

11 hours ago, Baz said:

33 in September.

Was a decent footballer, and set piece man, but haven't seen him for a while. Hope he's more Tugay than Murphy.

Just read on a Cardiff mb that he had been living off his freekick expertise for a few years and time to move on and L1 should be good for him.

Pleased with what could be a good signing for us.TBH I have not seen much of him apart from now on youtube. Cardiff historically one of the teamsI rarely watched if on tv.

He would not have joined Rovers on 1 or 1+1, we had to give a 2 year to get him. Not too onerous imo.

I hope we do not go all tippy tappy. In L1 you need some workers and cloggers too.

Edited by AllRoverAsia

No doubting his past record, but 33 years old in 3 months time? Obviously the question is does he have the fitness? Doubt any of us know the answer to that so it's just a matter of wait and see. Keep in mind though that he's a midfielder and whatever league you're in, you still need to be able to get around the park. A lot of fixtures in this league as well. 

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Gary Mcallister went to Liverpool at 36 and was their fittest player. It all depends on how much work Whittingham puts in. 

He looks in good condition - fitness wise ;) - in the pics I've seen. If he needs a runner use or get one, which reminds me of someone leaving.

Just now, AllRoverAsia said:

He looks in good condition - fitness wise ;) - in the pics I've seen. If he needs a runner use or get one, which reminds me of someone leaving.

Shoot the runner! 

Could have been the dream league 1 midfield. Jesus even Akpan. Maybe Tomlinson can do similar. 

It makes me wonder where Evans will fit in. I would like him to stay, he would be a very good League 1 player, if he stays fit. I think his injury record may actually scare clubs off. 

Just now, den said:

You said his fitness depends on how hard he works, but we are talking about age and some players just have to bow out sooner than others.

Yes I did say that. Fitness does depend on how hard someone works, no? At his age he may need to be prepared to do a bit extra. Mcallister said in an interview he was training when others weren't. At 32/33, I am sure Whittingham will be fine in League 1 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

Just now, den said:

You said his fitness depends on how hard he works, but we are talking about age and some players just have to bow out sooner than others.

We'll find out soon. Some people are also just naturally fit.

TM obviously thinks Whittingham is up to it. Time will tell.

• Like 1

“I’m really pleased to be here,” he added. “I was at Cardiff for a long time, but I felt like I needed this. I just wanted a fresh challenge and I feel like this is perfect for me. I’m excited.

“Just being around the training ground, you see what a huge club it is. It's an amazing club and it definitely shouldn't be in League One, so it’s up to us and everyone to get us out of here and get us back in the Championship.

“It could be exciting – being in and around the top six, and hopefully the top two. I just want to enjoy my football and hopefully enjoy the results.”

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Shoot the runner! 

Could have been the dream league 1 midfield. Jesus even Akpan. Maybe Tomlinson can do similar. 

It makes me wonder where Evans will fit in. I would like him to stay, he would be a very good League 1 player, if he stays fit. I think his injury record may actually scare clubs off. 

Evans is a strange one. Probably unfairly I have doubted his committment and thought that he hides behind injuries.

The Whittingham signing may well suit Evans style of play.

It may however be that Evans wage is one TM wants shut off. Interesting times.

Of course the owners may be hell bent on promotion at any cost and simply cash up to get up .... ROFL PMSL

16 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Shoot the runner! 

We need to get rid of Evans asap. He's had his chance.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Parsonblue said:

We've signed some excellent older players over the years who have given brilliant service to the club.  Guys like Big Mac and Waggy became cult figures at the club and offered a tremendous amount on the pitch.  This lad has always looked impressive whenever he's played against us.  A very positive signing for me and the type of experience we will need in League One.

Let's see who they also add to the team .

Can't ever say I've watched Cardiff and gone wow who's that lad.

12 hours ago, Colt Seavers said:

Similar age to Howard Kendall when he came in. Hopefully he will adapt to the third division with the same success.

And Howard got us up with a squad of 19 including himself plus two coaches

images.jpg

Edited by AllRoverAsia
  • Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.