BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] News Article -> Whittingham Signs for Rovers

I recall a player joining Rovers at age 31 going on to make over 200 appearances over the next 8 years and who is still to this day a Club Legend.

If Whittingham does 25% as well as that guy it will do just dandy.

Edited by AllRoverAsia
  • Like 6

9 minutes ago, Pedro said:

He's got a couple of good years in him. We are League One and it is a very good addition for this level.  I'm pleased with this signing, there's a lot of common sense behind it.

Certainly is! 

I'm assuming we call him Richard?

19 minutes ago, Stuart said:

We are signing a player better than the division we are in - and it's not a loan. Last time we did that was probably Graham.

decent player, great set piece merchant better than we could expect in fairness.

On the downside, he's 32 hardly going to set it alight with pace which we desperately lack

Thoughts:::  we sign a 32 year old who is presumably on decent wages /long contract to persuade him to step down a division whilst we let Mahoney's contract run down to zilch when he could have serious value and probably lower wages. And since the 9cost cutting began  after relegation(!!!!??????) all we have done is bring in Venus & Whittingham and add to the costs.

Ithink we need to prepare for the exodus of Mulgrew, Graham etc etc . It is going to have to happen somewhere along the line of dumbing down. lets see what KPMG have to say about it all .

So long as he doesn't pull a Danny Murphy on us it's a shrewd signing. I urged caution the other day fearing a bumper 4 year deal but I think 2 is fair enough; we wouldn't have stood a chance if we were offering just the year. In theory (Rovers' fans old favourite) he should be head and shoulders above anything in this league - technically at least. Keep the positives coming please Rovers.

1 hour ago, JAL said:

Cheers ! Looks like a Joe average player nearing the end of his career.

We've signed some excellent older players over the years who have given brilliant service to the club.  Guys like Big Mac and Waggy became cult figures at the club and offered a tremendous amount on the pitch.  This lad has always looked impressive whenever he's played against us.  A very positive signing for me and the type of experience we will need in League One.

• Like 1

I just hope he hasn't got the Murphy attitude of I'm too good for this league. League One is physical and most clubs play with intensity and a bad attitude will stand out like a sore thumb. He certainly has ability though and harnessed correctly could be the difference between winning and losing.

1 hour ago, Dunnfc said:

So get promoted and a step up to where he'd be a bit part player THIS season and another years mileage on the body that's a big risk, speaks volumes Warnock as experienced as he is lets him leave easily. 1+1 year contract would have been advisable with the second year optional at the clubs desire.

Seems another potentially big financial liability to carry

Hell's Teeth. If he helps us get promoted next season, that's job done. I wouldn't worry about his second year with us.

• Like 3

Surprised that this came off in the end, though it had the smell of a planted story to drum up interest from other suitors. Very happy with it though, seems like a solid replacement (possibly even an improvement?) for Guthrie if his legs are up to playing 30+ games in a very rough league.  

14 hours ago, Dunnfc said:

So get promoted and a step up to where he'd be a bit part player THIS season and another years mileage on the body that's a big risk, speaks volumes Warnock as experienced as he is lets him leave easily. 1+1 year contract would have been advisable with the second year optional at the clubs desire.

Seems another potentially big financial liability to carry

Mark Hughes, Kevin Moran are two i can think off that were great for us coming to the end of their careers at a similar age oh and that was in the old second division not third, judge on performance not on age.  

Oops should have read the rest of the thread, no matter others have the same idea. Good signing good start 

Edited by EgyptianPete

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.