BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

The Convicts Return

Timmy

Shaddy - you wouldn't seriously consider dropping Gilchrist would you?!?! blink.gif

He's a keeper remember - not a batsman. Although he does average over 50..runs he makes should be regarded as a bonus..not taken for granted.

As long as he's taking catches and stumpings he's doing his job.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Australia to win the Oval Test and retain the Ashes.

342689[/snapback]

Good win by England, finally the aussies show what they normally play like

Hand the mantle over?  I don't think so, Australia to flog the English in the fifth (after a few minor changes)

Kaspa out McGrath in, Hayden out Hussey (who is currently playing county cricket!!) in

342699[/snapback]

Keep making those predictions boys. After all, you've both been spot on so far. biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

He's no worse than Geraint Jones.

342774[/snapback]

Now you're just being silly laugh.gif

He's dropped two catches all series? And missed one stumping?

How many has Jones missed this series? What about byes?

pg

A keeper has to do more than keep and Jones's batting display yesterday was reckless.

342786[/snapback]

You've confused me now huh.gif

Jones has made more runs in the series but Gilchrist has been better behind the stumps.

If the series go by without Gilchrist cutting loose once I'll feel a bit short changed. But on the other hand, we've seen plenty of big hitting from Warne, Lee and Flintcroft, so I guess it's not too bad.

Great game (& result) yesterday, almost going to the wire!

I was sat in front of the telly shaking like a sh1tting dog! wink.gif

I can`t imagine the Aussies letting the ashes go too easily. They will be 'well up' for the final test. I only hope England don`t bottle it! unsure.gif

Definately THE best cricket series i`ve ever watched......& i`ve watched one before! dry.gif

COME ON ENGLAND!!! thumbs-up.gif

What you going to do when McGrath and Warne retire???

342700[/snapback]

That's the million dollar question. Australia's future batting stocks look pretty good at the moment (Clarke, Hussey, Haddin), but the bowling stocks look very, very sparse. The lack of decent bowlers has been around for years it's just at the moment McGrath injury and Kasper's/Gillespie's form slump has shown it up. As someone said, it's harder to get out of the Australian team, than in.

[Clenched teeth mode] There is a chance that a team slump like after Marsh/Lillee/Chappell era of the early 80's is coming.

Edited by Sydney Rovers

Having watched the match and the celebrations, and read all the reports and stories, I get the impression that we have actually won the Ashes already. We are one defeat, nay one batting collapse away from losing the Ashes still. Theres a lot of hard yakka left in this series.

We have excellent youth coming through who have been sitting by in the local scene ready to burst into the test team.

342717[/snapback]

So why are they not in the team then? Tait looks like he will be brilliant but not for a little while (now he'll go on and get 5 for 20 at the Oval) ut why havent they been brought in sooner when it was obvious that Gillespie and Kasper were not performing and that McGrath was out? Where are the others? Why the Hell is Symonds not in your team?

However you will know more about your youth teams than me, but I think that you will become just a good side and no longer the greatest side when Warne and McGrath both retire

So why are they not in the team then? Tait looks like he will be brilliant but not for a little while (now he'll go on and get 5 for 20 at the Oval) ut why havent they been brought in sooner when it was obvious that Gillespie and Kasper were not performing and that McGrath was out? Where are the others? Why the Hell is Symonds not in your team?

342973[/snapback]

So many questions......

They are not in the team because up until this recent test series the current team was continuing to perform. The last cricket we played we smashed the kiwi's in their own backyard. Why change what is working? Now why they haven't been brought into this test series is we are on our domestic off season, you don't blood youngsters on an ashes tour who haven't played for 8 months.

We bring our younger players through our Australian A team which plays pretty regulary on top of domestic cricket.

Other then Tait we have Griffiths, Nicholson, Noffke, Watson, Dawes and Bracken as younger bowlers to call on and the batting is even stronger with the likes of Hopes, Perren, North and the Hussey bros ect.

There will be some changes and test careers over at the end of this series.

Now as far as Symonds goes, it is of common belief that to be called in as an allrounder you have to merit your place in the team for at least one of those items.

Getting 2 wickets and 35 runs really doesn't cut it and that is what Symonds would give.

Symonds failed in the test series in Sri Lanka :

Two matches - averaged 13 with the bat.

A Symonds 2 4 0 53 24 13.25 44.53 - - 4 -

Bowling :

A Symonds 2 24 4 85 1 85.00 1-68

Mind you, I agree that he would be better suited to English conditions, both with the bat and ball.

As Neekoy says, the current Australian team has beaten Sri Lanka, India and New Zealand away in the last two seasons. They don't turn rubbish overnight.

Rather, a combination of key injuries, some form loss, and some fantastic bowling from the English means that we are 2-1 down in the Ashes.

But no need to throw the baby out with the bathwater just yet.

Symond's problem is that he's often away playing ODIs and thus hasn't had the chances to score heavily in Sheffield Shield cricket.

If you want to play test cricket for Australia, you have to make runs in Sheffield Shield. Historically that is the way it has worked.

Symonds last three seasons for Queensland :

7 matches 516 runs @ 39.69

2 matches 112 runs @ 37.33

5 matches 262 runs @ 43.66

They are 'OK' figures, but not enough to get himself a #6 position in the test team.

I would like to think that Symonds could have the same impact at Test level that he has had in the one day arena over the past few years, but I'm not sure if will happen.

So many questions......

Other then Tait we have Griffiths, Nicholson, Noffke, Watson, Dawes and Bracken as younger bowlers to call on and the batting is even stronger with the likes of Hopes, Perren, North and the Hussey bros ect.

343038[/snapback]

You talk of these young fast bowlers but there's some bloke called Harwood (Shane I think) who's had a great season proing for At. Annes over here and was sold to them as the 4th best bowler in Australia.

Views?

the tactic for this test match will be very interesting. from our perspective i would say taht vaughny if he wins the toss would not to even think about a declaration.....in the first inning. on the other hand and depending on what the pitch is normally like at the oval, it wouldn't be all that bad if australia batted first...cause it is they whom have to get us out as quickly as possible. if we do win the toss, then i wouldn't be surprised to see micahel vaughn put them in.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.