BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Players Your Glad Rovers Didnt Sign!

BRFC4EVA

I'd say Geoff Thomas as he wasn't the best but...Dalglish wanted him, Jack refused to pay their asking price and unfortunately it seemed the first breach (however small) in their working relationship. I'd have accepted a crappy Geoff Thomas if it'd meant keeping Dalgish interested enough for another season or two.

348998[/snapback]

The way I remember the story was that the Crystal Palace chairman kept on putting the price up and the Rovers eventually said enough was enough.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The way I remember the story was that the Crystal Palace chairman kept on putting the price up and the Rovers eventually said enough was enough.

349015[/snapback]

True...but it was ultimately Jack who pulled the plug on the deal, explaining the reasons personally by allowing himself to be interviewed on TV and I've heard (which may be unfounded) that Dalglish wasn't too happy about it. Jack's money to do with as he wishes and he was proved right when we later brought in the likes of Batty.

Always thought that was the first breach in their previously perfect working relationship but it might just have been gossip.

Never been a fan of his, in fact we were interested the year we went down so Sutty wouldn't have been top scorer. Just to say he did well at Villa doesn't mean he would have been great at Rovers. Mind you Id have took him over Ward and Blake anyday becasue he was a proven premiership player.

I just always got the feeling he would have been poor for us but given that season we could have had Shearer and still gone down.

Dublin was also going through a phase were every game he played at Ewood he got sent off as well usually for Elbows

Well yeah I just don't think he'd have done anything for us he'd have been another big wage which we would have offloaded at a 3rd of the price we paid for him

Hindsight is a beautiful thing, trouble is we never got Dublin so We'll never know who is right.

Jody Morris.

Souey wanted him to realise his masterplan of fielding 11 central midfielders in a game. But head-in-the-sand Jody demanded a ludicrous wage (supposedly in the 25K - 30K bracket that Chelsea had offered him) and that ended that. Thank Almighty.

Another name that has surfaced in my mind is Lucien Mettemo (sp?). African defender who I think ended up at Man City and didn't make much of an impact.

Edited by rover6

i'm so glad we didn't sign Dailly, Blake, Davies, Corrbett, Peacock,  in the 98/99 season

we would have surely gone down if we had signed them and Hodgson would have never become England manager.

349695[/snapback]

Well Corbett wasn't exactly a factor. He hardly ever featured.

He was here for 5 years so I certainly think he had enough time to show his abilities. He signed for over £500,000 yet I'm sure he never featured in a single league game while he was here.

349905[/snapback]

5 years? you sure?

Even if he was here for a while, point im making is he never got a chance to show what he could do in a league game etc

Absolutely sure. I'm sure someone could back me up on it or you could check for yourself. I know the point you're making but he obviously wasn't good enough to play at this level. 3 different managers and a caretaker can't all have been wrong on their judgement of him.

Edited by JFT

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.