BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Todd - Not Good Enough To Be Capt And In The Team

great interview.

my brother knows him very well, and having met him a couple of times, i can confirm he's a throughly decent bloke, very different from the way he's portrayed.

on a footballing level, despite his many protractors, he gave us brilliant service (FAN'S player of the year twice speaks volumes) and his commitment could never be questioned.

he's still got a lot to offer and he'll prove invaluable for derby.

all the best, andy.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

having met him a couple of times, i can confirm he's a throughly decent bloke, very different from the way he's portrayed.

Indeed Pleasure.

I was amazed when chatting to him after a club do and really saw how sound the fella was. He walked us from outside the room and down to the car-park to where he was parked. A real family man and as you said 'a throughly decent bloke'.

I still hold by what I said at the time that he was wrong to retaliate BUT he took two snidey and painful kicks before he did so. One seriously high studs up lunge from the black fella with the long hair that deserved a booking and a kick on the shins from Dugarry that warranted the same. Course the ref, who should already have dismissed and at very least booked Dugarry for deliberately elbowing McEverley, unfortunately/conveniently 'missed' those didn't he?

Was similar when Todd retaliated against Andy Reid after Reid stamped on his ankle causing him to be out for weeks.

btw once he was walking he should have dropped the gobby Lazarides for good measure imo! :tu:

Andy, Thanks for everything mate, a true Ewood legend and a deserved player of the year in 2005, You gave it all week in, week out and I ll always have 3 memories of you at ewood, the best was when you chased down Henry and pushed him of the ball when he was through on goal, at 2-0 down not many players would have bothered but that summed you up! The worst goal ever scored against Newcastle (Haha), but well worth the celebrations and of course giving that cheat Dugarry what he had comin.... a good kickin!

All the best at Derby!

Thanks for everything Andy, you have left us with some wonderful memories, and shown a true example of what real commitment means, good luck at Derby.

• 6 months later...

Watching the Match Of The Day highlights yesterday of Derby's humiliating 4-1 defeat at home to Preston in the FA Cup (nice to know we're not the only ones who can be humiliated 4-1 at home to a Championship side) it struck me that Andy Todd is effectively now finished as a player.

To say that Todd was abysmal during the first half would be an understatement. He was largely to blame for Preston going in at half-time 3-0 up and Todd was promptly substituted by Paul Jewell at half-time.

A clearly angry Jewell said after the match: "I'm at a loss to explain it. The players fall apart at the first sign of adversity."

Our old Rovers players Todd and Savage are undoubtedly heading for relegation in what is perhaps the worst Premiership team in history (with the possible exception of Mick McCarthy's Sunderland in 2005/06).

McCarthy's side finished with just 15 points that season - breaking the worst record for points in the top flight, previously held by Stoke City with 17 points in 1984/85. Derby, with just 7 points so far from 23 Premiership games, realistically just have to try to make sure they get more than 15 points this season and don't go down in history as being the worst ever team in the top flight.

Clearly Derby haven't had a prayer of avoiding relegation for some months. I'm rather surprised in some respects that Paul Jewell took this job. It was obvious to a blind man on a galloping horse that Derby were going down into the Championship. Does Jewell really want to have relegation on his CV ?

When he first arrived Jewell tried to insist that Derby could still survive in the Premiership "I wouldn't have come here if I didn't believe we could get out of it," he said - but frankly Jewell sounded as if he was in denial about the reality that was facing him.

Jewell has changed his tune now and instead talks about the "long-term potential" of the team, but he's got a massive job on his hands because clearly a number of players, including Andy Todd, are nowhere near good enough.

The problem for Jewell would be if they struggle in the Championship next season with abysmal performances like the one against Preston on Saturday, the Derby fans may well start chanting for Jewell to go and a once promising managerial career could come crashing to an end.

Personally I think Jewell would have been better off biding his time, playing some golf with his pals, and waiting for another club which didn't offer immediate relegation on his CV.

The locals aren't very impressed with either Todd or Savage in their ratings here.

Whilst Robbie Savage was probably well aware that he was heading for relegation when he signed for Derby, he probably didn't realise just what a massive mess the club is in.

It's a shockingly poor team. I think Savage would have been better off going to a decent Championship team with a chance of going up for next season. He certainly won't be playing in the Premiership next season with Derby.

Paul Jewell admits the game is up

"We looked like we were playing in the Conference," says Robert Earnshaw. It's sad in a way that Robbie Savage has reduced himself to this level of football.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.