BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Bentley Called Up

Ricky

Whichever way you look at it his best option would have been just to have gone with the under 21's , play "within himself" .....and concentrate on the coming season .

I don't think that's an option at the highest level phil - it certainly shouldn't be in the minds of the players. Every game has to be approached in the same professional manner.

After all we wouldn't want our players going into crap cup games or crap league fixtures (eg against Derby, Sunderland and Brum) thinking they can play "within themselves" would we??

Otherwise Rovers will end up being embarassed by the PL whipping boys but firing in hattricks against the likes of Man Utd ... ...

Ah :unsure:

• Replies 709
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A thought occured to me earlier (it may have already been said by others, I haven't read every post) that will probably run through the mind of McClaren (if he's still there); if Bentley is too tired to play a European Championship this summer, why will he be any better equiped to play one next summer?

I would have thought he would say that it would be worth suffering burnout and the tiredness that results from playing in Euro2008. As Bentley has pointed out if he was to play in this summers U21's then his chances of making the Euro2008 squad will be hugely diminished. This decision has been taken with that tournament in mind. Bentley is probably the one stand out player who has a decent chance of making that squad based on what I've seen of the U21's.

Admittedly now he has diminished his chances but he probaby feels it's a gamble worth taking.

He might also be calculating that a long run in the UEFA Cup with a few peaches from him against European opposition will enhance his chances of selection for Euro 2008. If Rovers have to go the Intertoto route again next summer, I doubt Hughes will be disturbing Bentley's belated summer holiday.

It is usual for players involved in a major summer tournament such as EC or WC to be given a later start to pre-season by their clubs.

Who knows but MGP, Ooijer, Berner, Warnock, Bentley and perhaps even Henchoz or Reid might be late back next summer.

Edited by philipl

• 2 weeks later...

So thankfully, this saga can be put to bed. Bentley demonised and that's an end to it.

Or is it?

Dave is currently enjoying a desrved break from the heckling in Dubai and is said to be very much looking forward to stepping up a gear for Rovers next season and proving his doubters wrong.

Don't be surprised if the full details of his absence from the Championships come out in a few weeks time - there is more to the situation. It won't be the best news for Psycho, but then again, that is if the press decide to report it properly...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.