SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Bentley Called Up

Ricky

• Replies 709
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess, at the end of the day, we get our best midfielder fully fit and raring to go for the start of next season, so it's not necessarily a bad thing. It is a shame though that poor planning/communication and bad advice has all-but ended the international career (in the short term at the very least) of the first Rover in years to look like breaking into the national side. I know a lot of people are claiming they don't care for U21 games or even the national side, but the pride expressed by many of us at Derbyshire and Bentley playing at the new Wembley etc. suggests to me otherwise, and I suspect quite a few people share my feeling of disappointment that we're unlikely to see Bentley in an England squad for some time.

To be sure he may be fully fit and raring to go ........and if he does have another good season he may well have to make the decision that the only way he'll be allowed back into the England fold is by moving away to a top club where it will become more easy for the England management (whoever that is at the time) to pick him again .

The bottom line is that every player aspires to play for their country in a major competition and Bentley is no different . His actions have been counterproductive and not only have been a slap in the face to the current England management team - they have been a slap in the face to ANY management team . A player cannot simply dictate to those who pick the team when he plays and where he plays . Bentley is not Maradona - he is expendable . We all know McClaren isn't the greatest ever England manager but he is in charge like it or not ; and whatever Pearce's limitations as a manager his honesty and integrity is massively respected by supporters in general and some of the comments made on here about him are embarrassing .

The vast majority who have posted on here in Bentley's favour and against Pearce would not have done so if it had been a non Rovers player involved ....and it's no good blaming the red tops for the stick he's getting ; it's more widespread than that if people care to look around .

Which leaves us with those with the opinion of "couldn't care less about England ....only Rovers matter " . That's a valid opinion although it's one which personally I've only contempt for ....but such posters should not complain if ever Derbyshire is overlooked in the future - in fact they should be glad . Nor should they ever complain about the lack of loyalty in the game ; If a player can so easily turn on his back on his country at any level then be sure he'll have no qualms at turning his back on a club like Blackburn when he feels the need.......

One final point - what were the views of those who believe the under 21's to be a "running joke" when Bentley scored at Wembley or when Derbyshire first pulled on the shirt ? I can't remember them posting that at the time .........and as for Billy Castell's moronic comments further up the thread I just wonder the reaction if he had posted such cretinous utterings on any other nation than England !

1st leaving highbury,

... for an undisclosed fee! In reallity Arsenal let us have him for next to sod-all waggy which just shows how much he was valued by them and how far away he was from the 1st team. Your point would be more valid if you had said Bentleys first mistake was SIGNING for Arsenal! If he had come to us first off Becks might still be sunbathing in Madrid when England play.

Is no-one else slightly embarrassed by Bentley's actions? I certainly am.

I'm not. It's his choice, and he's made it

Don't get me wrong, if it benefits us next season then I'm all for it. However, a player pulling out of an international tournament for England because they are 'tired' is unheard of. If this was such a concern then they both (Hughes and Bentley) should have pleaded their case with Pearce, by the sound of his reactions it sounds like neither have done so properly. For all Pearce's faults, dishonesty isn't one of them, and if he's upset and hurt by the decision then it can't be one he was expecting.

Are you really "all for it"? you don't sound it, but that's ok, it's your opinion. A player withdrawing from England squads for all sorts of reasons is hardly unusual, maybe it'd be more palatable if he'd lied and said he was injured?

Why didn't Bentley make this decision the day the squad was announced? It's too late for a replacement to be called up now so the U21's go in a man shorter than everyone else. I'm sure if he had done it then and given Pearce chance to call in a replacement then we could have saved all this hassle. Either way, Bentley has served a massive blow to his international career...and if the decision was made with a view to being fitter for senior internationals next season, then he's been very badly advised by someone. As much as I'd like to think Bentley is putting his Rovers career before his international aspirations, I very much doubt that was the main motivation for doing what he did.

He did. And Mark Hughes did. Pearce was asked multiple times not to include Dave, but he did anyway, trying to use patriotic blackmail to get a player who has proven himself at U-21 and in the premiership this season to play in a tournament he didn't want to. This has been going for some time. If it was OK, why was Pearce "defending it"

I've looked at a few other forums to see what the general view is, and there is very little support for Bentley. Even from clubs who you'd expect to have nothing against Rovers, and from sets of fans who are generally fair in their opinions, it doesn't make good reading. I think this could just be one of those situations where it's going to be difficult seeing this situation without the blue and white specs.

I guess, at the end of the day, we get our best midfielder fully fit and raring to go for the start of next season, so it's not necessarily a bad thing. It is a shame though that poor planning/communication and bad advice has all-but ended the international career (in the short term at the very least) of the first Rover in years to look like breaking into the national side. I know a lot of people are claiming they don't care for U21 games or even the national side, but the pride expressed by many of us at Derbyshire and Bentley playing at the new Wembley etc. suggests to me otherwise, and I suspect quite a few people share my feeling of disappointment that we're unlikely to see Bentley in an England squad for some time.

It's all politics. If it was about winning the tournament at all costs, Rooney'd be there, along with many others including his former own precious boy - Micah Richards.. But they're not, and why? Because they're full internationals playing for teams that England can't afford to ###### off, or players England don't want to ###### off. The Mirror fair play to them, have a good write up that mentions Pearce's rabid defense of Richards not being active for the U21's. Bentley wasn't called to the pre-tournament training camp in Spain, hadn't played in ONE qualifying match, and was a surprise inclusion. Long and short of it is that Pearce is being inconsistent and unreasonable, and has now hyped it up to the point that it could damage Bent's career, because he wants to help is own career after the shambles at Citeh. Well, F-em, for me, he can play for us as long as he wants, and 'Psycho' can go swim the Atlantic.

Edited by daren

Anyone who watched Bentley's last 6-8 games for Blackburn would have noticed he has become visibly tired.

I remember watching him closely in our last match against Reading and thinking to myself he looks so tired. He actually had a good game that day (compared to his last few previously), but he was really forcing himself to run around at points.

He has just had his first FULL season in the Premiership - he has not played much before at this level. Additionally, he has been working extra hard in the gym throughout the season on his strength (and we have all seen the improvements there).

He has made not made this decision lightly at all, and dicussed the issue at length with Hughes.

We will benefit this decision, but ultimately it will be Bentley who will benefit as he will come back fresher and will be able to hit the ground running. For those who say he will be overlooked for England because of his actions, I do not think this will be the case. He will improve and get better (more so with the rest he will have this summer), and this will result in him becoming an even better footballer, and barring injury his form will take him into the England squad/team on a regular basis in my view.

interesting piece by john cross in the mirror today, don't know if anyone saw? i to like David Bentley more and more the more i hear him speak

for those who hav'nt seen: "don't call me unpatriotic"

I hope people take notice of this when on about the 'media bias'.

That's a very positive article from our point of view (it makes a very good comment regarding Pearce's thoughts on Micah Richards) from a paper I usually detest.

I hope people take notice of this when on about the 'media bias'.

That's a very positive article from our point of view (it makes a very good comment regarding Pearce's thoughts on Micah Richards) from a paper I usually detest.

What an example for all young footballers out there, and I am not just saying that because he is a Rover. He was pure class in that interview and Pearce should offer a public apology.

Well done Dave - let the media squabble and you keep concentrating on the important stuff - regular football.

I for one hope Dave can enjoy a good break and return next season even better. The best way to answer your critics is up your game...

Be a professional footballer for the summer? I would most certainly. It'd be brilliant!

Apart from that I do believe that although his words re: Richards / Bentley were contradictory that Pearce is basically a decent bloke. Rem he'd lost 3 of his best players and was bound to be a taj p1ssed off.

Alan, I find your news article on "two faced Pearce" embarrassing. Sure, in some quarters the media have gone OTT in finding fault with Bentley but that does not excuse myopia and an embarrassing lack of objectivity amongst Rovers fans.

How can Stuart Pearce saying that he must protect 18 year old Micah Richards (whilst he was City boss) from burn-out mean that he is two-faced in slamming Bentley for turning down U21 duty? Pearce, as far as I know, is not denying that players can suffer burn-out and need a rest from time to time. His gripe is that Bentley is implicitly belittling U21 duty by rejecting the call-up.

Say next season Bentley plays even more games and is even more tired and 'burnt-out.' so much so that he knows that if he has to play in Euro 2008 he will not be able to give 100% - will he reject the call-up? Will he hell. If McClaren, in a fit of normality (i was gonna say delusion...), picks him with a broken leg, Bentley will still be on that plane faster than anything.

The bottom line is that Bentley thinks that he is now above the U21s and has bigger fish to fry. The tiredness rhetoric may have an element of truth but is only a means, not the end.

Alan, I bet you could dig out a quote from Mark Hughes criticising or complaining about a club not releasing a Welsh player quickly enough for whatever reason. Are you going to start calling him two-faced - or do you admit that your article is wholly biased?

Edited by rover6

The bottom line is that Bentley thinks that he is now above the U21s and has bigger fish to fry.

And rightly so.

If Pearce really believed all that "when your country comes calling you put your country first and yourself second" claptrap he's been coming out with he would call up Rooney without a second's hesitation.

But he wouldn't dream of it. If questioned on it he'd probably say something like Rooney has developed far beyond under 21 level, is a particularly important player for his club and has to be kept as fresh as possible for their League and European campaigns next season and the 2008 Euros.

Much the same applies to Bentley, even though he is not a certain starter next summer. Maybe even if we didn't have an intertoto campaign DB could have played in the under 21's and simply reported back for pre season later. As it was something had to give.

I do also think that Rovers have hung him out to dry somewhat. I find it pretty improbabable given next season's domestic schedule he wasn't instructed by Mark Hughes to withdraw from the under 21's.

Pearce did say that Mark Hughes had contacted him a week before Bentley dropped out, asking for the player to be left out of the squad. SO i think it was kind of orchestrated by the club but with the player having the final say.

And rightly so.

If Pearce really believed all that "when your country comes calling you put your country first and yourself second" claptrap he's been coming out with he would call up Rooney without a second's

Don't be daft , Rev . Rooney has been an established England player for years now ; comparing him to Bentley , who let's face it , has only had one good season , is way off the mark .

Rooney is a genuine world class player by anyone's standards - Bentley is in the limbo between the under 21's and the first team squad ; only the blinkered Rovers fanatics would put him before Beckham at the moment .

I'm afraid Bentley has overestimated his true worth to the England set up and will pay the price . The truth is he has taken on the management when he hasn't yet the gravitas to back it up . Unless he has an absolutely blinding season next year he could find himself quickly forgotten .

My guess is that he's already regretting his decision . Next year when the England manager (whoever he may be) is picking his team for the Euro's , Bentley's fitness and attitude may very well be the deciding factor against him fulfilling what any right minded player would regard as the pinacle of their career .

One other point ; knowing that he has blown his chances with England might have a negative effect on his performances for Rovers ....and not the positive one that a lot of the posters on here are taking for granted .

...... Unless he has an absolutely blinding season next year he could find himself quickly forgotten

.......... knowing that he has blown his chances with England might have a negative effect on his performances for Rovers ....and not the positive one that a lot of the posters on here are taking for granted .

I think the former would cancel out the latter.

But it really is up to him. If he improves half as much next season as he did this season England and the ranks of the press and media (the England squads REAL selectors it seems these days :angry: ) will be demanding he play....... and demanding that he sign for a top club too! :angry:

Whichever way you look at it his best option would have been just to have gone with the under 21's , play "within himself" .....and concentrate on the coming season .

A couple of weeks on his hols won't compensate for all of this trouble . And whatever the faults of the media it was hardly never going to make headlines .......it's not just the tabloid readers who don't like the idea of players snubbing their country .

Alan, I find your news article on "two faced Pearce" embarrassing. Sure, in some quarters the media have gone OTT in finding fault with Bentley but that does not excuse myopia and an embarrassing lack of objectivity amongst Rovers fans.

Why shouldn't Alan post editorial comment? His sig states:

"[views are]... based solely on the authors point of view and not those of the sites administrators or moderators."

It's a different slant on news than is offered by up to the minute sources such as BBC, Sky or any other number of other sites. Haven't people been saying in the 'way forward' thread that brfcs.com can't really compete on the breaking news front? I like the approach Alan's trying to adopt here.

Edited by Beta Ray Bill

How can Stuart Pearce saying that he must protect 18 year old Micah Richards (whilst he was City boss) from burn-out mean that he is two-faced in slamming Bentley for turning down U21 duty?

Simple, he said, "self, club, country" in that order which is exactly what Bents did but now the shoe is on the other foot it's all a big to do. It's classic hypocrisy on Pearce's part and if you fail to see that R6 you should keep to talent spotting football management.

Odd, I don't seem able to find that quote now, did I dream it?

Edited by USABlue

My favourite site for highlights has a decent little article on the matter. Nothing new, just thought I'd mention it anyway, I was kinda surprised as I was expecting a total bashing when I first saw the headline. A nice little link to Bentley's goal against Salzburg aswell, worth the look alone to be honest.

101greatgoals.com

Firstly let me first thank you for reading the news item.

The editorial is aimed at giving readers a different perspective on Bentley’s withdrawal from the U21 squad. In the main the media have labelled Bentley as the arch enemy. My aim was and will be to give visitors to this site a different angle to that portrayed in the media at large.

In this instance it was to show, that whilst Pearce was so ready to throw Bentley to the media wolves he had not less than 12 months ago, stated publicly the dangers of player burn out. A matter that I had already highlighted in my previous editorial. Danger of Burn Out

Alan, I bet you could dig out a quote from Mark Hughes criticising or complaining about a club not releasing a Welsh player quickly enough for whatever reason. Are you going to start calling him two-faced - or do you admit that your article is wholly biased?

Yes I will freely admit there will be bias in my editorials, when all said I am a Rovers supporter, the editorials are my own opinions, and I will unlike other media sources attempt when ever possible, to portray the club, it’s players and fans in a good light. If members of the site disagree then the editorials will be left open for discussion in a link to the message-board.

Simple, he said, "self, club, country" in that order which is exactly what Bents did but now the shoe is on the other foot it's all a big to do. It's classic hypocrisy on Pearce's part and if you fail to see that R6 you should keep to talent spotting football management.

Odd, I don't seem able to find that quote now, did I dream it?

You certainly didn't dream it USA, here's the quote for you:

Pearce, while still in charge of City, had said about Richards: "He had to look after himself and be fit for preseason training and put himself first, then club and then country.".

I guess the only difference is that Pearce was talking about an 18 year old, whereas Bentley is nearly 23. That's quite a big difference in terms of physical development, but Pearce still should have realised how hypocritical he'd sound when making those comments about Bentley.

A thought occured to me earlier (it may have already been said by others, I haven't read every post) that will probably run through the mind of McClaren (if he's still there); if Bentley is too tired to play a European Championship this summer, why will he be any better equiped to play one next summer?

A thought occured to me earlier (it may have already been said by others, I haven't read every post) that will probably run through the mind of McClaren (if he's still there); if Bentley is too tired to play a European Championship this summer, why will he be any better equiped to play one next summer?

Because his body will be used to it after playing his second full-season in the Premiership. He has been working a hell of a lot of other aspects of his game (in the gym) throughout the season and this has also taken its toll. Additionally, this was an Under 21 tournament, so I am sure if it was the full England squad, Bentley would have sacrficed his summer and the start of our pre-season.

It is clearly obvious Bentley needs a good rest in order to come back in good shape next season - afterall he did discuss this with full England squad members (and you can presume they told him to take the summer off unless he wants to "hit a brick wall around October time"). He may be 23 but Bentley is still early on in his development - he has just had his first FULL season in the Premiership.

Edited by John

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.