SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Bentley Called Up

Ricky

• Replies 709
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

and I suspect quite a few people share my feeling of disappointment that we're unlikely to see Bentley in an England squad for some time.

I respect your point Lechuck and agree with the above but McClown is equally to blame for putting the likes of rubbish Jenas etc infront of our lad...Bentley was ready.

Guest shoppybrfc

a few quotes from Hammers 'football fans'

http://www.westhamonline.net/forum_flat.php?1707177||1||

OhhhhMattyMatty! 8:43 Sat Jun 9

Re: David Bentley - Disgrace

I appreciate his honesty.....

NOT!

Hope he breaks his leg in pre-season.

'should never ###### play for his country again. not an englishmens attitude'

chris 2-4 10:07 Fri Jun 8

Still think Mark Hughes has a lot to do with this probably put pressure on him to pull out.After all Hughes learnt from the master when it comes to withdrawing players from internationals.

Jasnik 6:54 Fri Jun 8

Ban him and dock blackburn points

OhhhhMattyMatty! 9:13 Fri Jun 8

Bentley = Scum!

Edited by shoppybrfc

I respect your point Lechuck and agree with the above but McClown is equally to blame for putting the likes of rubbish Jenas etc infront of our lad...Bentley was ready.

I agree totaly :brfc: :brfc: :rover: :rover:

a few quotes from Hammers 'football fans'

http://www.westhamonline.net/forum_flat.php?1707177||1||

OhhhhMattyMatty! 8:43 Sat Jun 9

I appreciate his honesty.....

NOT!

Hope he breaks his leg in pre-season.

'should never ###### play for his country again. not an englishmens attitude'

chris 2-4 10:07 Fri Jun 8

Still think Mark Hughes has a lot to do with this probably put pressure on him to pull out.After all Hughes learnt from the master when it comes to withdrawing players from internationals.

Jasnik 6:54 Fri Jun 8

Ban him and dock blackburn points

OhhhhMattyMatty! 9:13 Fri Jun 8

Bentley = Scum!

1 Word 4 'em discraceful

how could they wish that of someone Arogant @#/?s

Oh absolutely, I was meant to write something about McClaren but I forgot. In fact, the whole scenario of him being called into the U21's whilst being with the senior side is strange to begin with, I can't think of another player being in the two squads at the same time.

Edited by LeChuck

Guest shoppybrfc

No offence to Bentley but he will have been trained by his agent/representative when he phoned talksport, Nothing Footballers say anymore is genuine.

Does anyone know exactly how many games David Bentley has played this season?

I think it must be 50 or 51 for Rovers in all competitions and a handful of U21 games. It must be less than 5 appearances for them.

No offence to Bentley but he will have been trained by his agent/representative when he phoned talksport, Nothing Footballers say anymore is genuine.

I doubt Bentley needs any coaching on what to say, nor would i think he has had any. From talks with people on this board and what both hughes and pearce have said it was obvious that he is tired and shouldn't have been selected. He should never have been put in the position he was in.

Does anyone know exactly how many games David Bentley has played this season?

51 for rovers i believe. According to the rovers site, we played 53 and he missed 2 through suspension. Not to mention his england games.

So the player withdraws because he has played to many games and you're upset with McClaren for not playing him additional games?

He should have played in a meaningless friendly or against cupcake opposition that wouldn't have challenged him but not in an important international tournament?

It's hardly important. No one cares who wins this tournament, it's nice if you do, but nothing more. I can understand people not liking it, but it seems the right decision. If he wants to play for England then he has a good chance of getting in the side next year, a couple of extra weeks of rest might just help him to feel that little bit fresher and might make the difference.

To be honest I was a little bit upset when I first heard of this. However I think the article that best puts things in true perspective is the one on the very front page of this site, it indicates that if England do well then Bents has only 6 days off to prepare for a the upcoming season. Simply not enough, I applaud what the lad has done in the interests of BRFC. I too agree that it might have been different of McClaren would have pulled his head out his arse long ewnough to actually watch the performance of the players he is picking. The lad turned in 2 MOM peformances and was completely overlooked for Dyer and Jenas. I'd be miffed too, what does this lad have to do.

Is no-one else slightly embarrassed by Bentley's actions? I certainly am.

Don't get me wrong, if it benefits us next season then I'm all for it. However, a player pulling out of an international tournament for England because they are 'tired' is unheard of.

I know not for England but what about Ronaldinho and Kaka?

No one is on their back, and it is the Copa America not some silly under 21 comp.

There shouldn't even be any under 21 competitions, most of those players are playing regularly for their club sides and in teh case of some are better then players in their national team..... Cristina, Rooney

Edited by neekoy

I think he has every right to pull out, and it will be better for him long term (hopefully).

How many u21 games has he played? 11? With about 7 MoM? Same with 1 england b game. What does he have left to prove except at the senior level?

If we're being honest, we're all being a bit two faced about this, if it was any of the other players who had pulled out, we'd all be going "bloody disgrace" "who do they think they are" and "too big for their boots" (that is if we cared that much about an under 21 tournament)

Whilst fans of their respective clubs would be applauding their decision.

Andy Townsend was consistent all morning in saying DB had made a professional decision, he was about the only one of the under 21 squad with a realistic chance of playing in the Euros next summer and therefore had made a career decision to give himself the best chance of having a good season next season and accordingly being fit and selected for then.

About right imo.

Know what you mean Rev but I was asked about this when it was first mentioned and I said he shouldn't be in the squad. Not for selfish reasons but because I firmly believe once you are playing for your club week in week out and have been in a full squad you should no longer be involved in the under 21s. Why not call up Rooney & Wallcott? It's not all about winning at that age it is about development, sadly something they will be sorely lacking anyway under Pearce.

All this nonsense about running through brick walls etc winds me up. We pay a small fortune to watch these guys, do we really want to see them walking around because they are knackered? As has been said if Bentley wants a crack at making the full squad for next year he needs a good season under his belt, not 7 days rest before the new one.

He will gain no benefit from playing more games at this level and Pearce should have been brave enough to accept that and play players who would benefit rather than being desperate to win.

There is so much pressure placed on managers and players by the media and fan alike. There is a fear factor that it has resulted in the game becoming a self preservation society.

In terms of International teams, players are no longer selected by the manager, but by a poll orchestrated by the media, which allows the manager to provide a scapegoat when things go bad.

Having failed at Nottingham Forest as a caretaker manager and in recent times as manager of Manchester City, Pearce is now hanging on by a thread to his England U21 managers post. With Bentley's with drawal, Pearce now has that prime get out clause, should the U21's fail in the European Championship, where he can site the fact that his squad was weakened by Bentleys with drawal.

I used to be extremely passionate on watching England games, and placed great hopes and lots of emotional energy into wanting us to win, and win tournaments. But the way it's run now, and with the appointment of Steve Maclaren I finally gave up. He is literally clueless, not a crime in it's self but the FA giving him the gig was. I was proved correct with the debacle over Bentleys selection for the full squad. Maclaren buckled under media pressure, then just left him to rot whilst other players less deserving got a run out in the Brazil match. Now I don't even bother watching the England games anymore. I actually cut the grass in my mothers back garden last week whilst the Estonia game was on.

However, I spent a serious wadge of cash last season watching Rovers, and if Bentley plays better next season for us because of his withdrawl from the England U-21s then that's fine by me.

The opinions of the knuckle-dragging red-top reading doughnuts, which by the way are the same people who had effigies of Beckham hanging from nooses after the 1998 world cup, typify whats gone wrong with this country nowadays.

Rover6, we will wait to se on Milner but he's had several years to show his worth and has failed so far.

The decision may belittle the U21 team, but does it really matter? Even if they go on to win the tournament (with SP in charge there is virtually no chance anyway) will we be celebrating in the streets? No. The senior side's success has nothing to do with the U21 side's success at all. The only use for the U21 team in my opinion is giving players experience of european football and Bentley is getting that already at rovers.

Now that Bentley is on the verge of the national squad, playing UEFA Cup football and top premiership sides every week, what exactly is he going to gain from group games against Czech Republic and Serbian teenagers?

I was hearing your argument until you lapsed into stereotypical England football fan chauvinism. These Czech and Serbian youngsters may not be household names (who's this Petr Cech who was in goal for the Czechs last time) but if you watch them play, I assure you that they will display as good - if not greater technical ability than England.

Youth international tournaments ARE important. Englands U19s haven't qualified for that age group's tournament this summer. We consider ourselves a strong football nation but our success at these levels is crap - in want of a better word. WHY should we expect England seniors to win anything when they couldn't do so as U21s or U19s, U18s etc. etc.?

Edited by rover6

If he's that bothered about having the strongest side out he should just select Rooney.

We all know there's not a snowball's chance in hell of that happening as both Alex Ferguson and the player would tell him to go forth and multiply.

So it's hypocritical to apply one standard for say DB and another for say Shrek.

A point I made yesterday. btw what happened to GoldenBoy Walcott?

It's hardly important. No one cares who wins this tournament, it's nice if you do, but nothing more. I can understand people not liking it, but it seems the right decision. If he wants to play for England then he has a good chance of getting in the side next year, a couple of extra weeks of rest might just help him to feel that little bit fresher and might make the difference.

I do....I have money on England to win it!!

Don't for get that Debyshire is still playing in the tournement.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.