BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Bentley Called Up

Ricky

In the Daily Telegraph last week-probably Thursday's edition- Henry Winter did a very highly criticle article about McClaren, suggesting that Beckham was a backward step and Bentley would have been a forward step. Now I don't know if he read it, or if he was reacting to it, but he acted as though he thought Bentlay was way down the pecking order.

Someone might be able to find the link.

• Replies 709
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the Daily Telegraph last week-probably Thursday's edition- Henry Winter did a very highly criticle article about McClaren, suggesting that Beckham was a backward step and Bentley would have been a forward step. Now I don't know if he read it, or if he was reacting to it, but he acted as though he thought Bentlay was way down the pecking order.

Someone might be able to find the link.

I think this may be the article.....

Does anyone actually think that Bentley should get Englands No.7 shirt ahead of Beckham? No, neither do I!

Fife - I think many people's gripes were not with Beckham starting on the right, rather the endless conveyor belt of overrated midfielders that came on in the later stages of the game.

No I think I read it fine, thankyou very much!

1 Croatia 6 5 1 0 16 4 12 16

2 Israel 7 4 2 1 15 7 8 14

3 Russia 6 4 2 0 11 1 10 14

4 England 6 3 2 1 9 2 7 11

There are only 12 games and England are 5 points and 5 goals behind Croatia having already played one "goal fest" fixture with Andorra. I cannot see England winning all three home games against Croatia, Israel and Russia the way they are playing at the moment. The away game in Russia will be the crunch and winning that would be against the odds on current form.

Considering how inaccurate your predictions usually are, I expect England to be there.

the teams they are up against aren't good enough

Eddie, I don't know what England team you've been watching for the past couple of years, but to say that the likes of Russia, Croatia and even Israel aren't good enough compared to England, smacks of not only arrogance but a lack of football knowledge. Yes we all know what quality players England have, I for one have been beating that drum for a long time. If they could get it right, then they would be able to match the top countries more often. But how with the way that they have played past couple of years as a team, can think that they are better than these teams at the moment? Until England actually put in a couple of even half decent performances, instead of the uninspiring crap that they have played since the World Cup and even before, England are still and ordinary team. It's all very well talking a good game and talking about the players they have on paper, but if England would play with passion, spirit, high tempo and for the full 90 minutes like they are always banging on about, more often, then people might take your arguments more seriously.

There's nothing wrong with supporting your country, it's what you should do, but when you over-hype them into something there not, at the expense of other countries with equal or higher standing, then you tend to get this sort of reaction from people. :tu:

How is saying that they have the quality of players required to match the best sides in the world over-hyping them? You yourself just said exactly the same thing. England haven't played very well for a few years, but they have done well for the past several years at beating weaker opposition. In every competition they've played in for the past few years up until this qualification phase they have done well against the smaller sides (with a couple of exceptions being Northern Ireland and I suppose you could say Sweden as well). As I said, we will simply have to wait and see who turns out to be right.

How is saying that they have the quality of players required to match the best sides in the world over-hyping them? You yourself just said exactly the same thing.

Fair point. On paper they do have good players, but in reality they are a poor team and have been for a number of years.

Just got back from a bike tour. So, if I understand correctly, Bents did not even get on the pitch?

Not surprised are you? After all he only plays for Blackburn Rovers and we all know it's the team you play for that will get you picked when the manager is under the cosh.

Anyway McClaren needs to go and NOW. HE should never have been appointed in the first place and it is just another shining example of how far out of tune the FA really is.

Dyer at RB?

Why not jsut put Rooney in goal.

More seriously, why not play Beckham at RB with Bentley ahead of him. Beckham has played there for Madrid and Bentley is used to having a midfielder as a righ side partner (Bert).

Problem here is that Estonia are that bad McLaren might get away with Dyer at RB and then it would appear in the eyes of the naive as a tactical wonderstroke.

I'm not saying that Phil Neville should be in the squad but as he is then surely he has to be played at that position before Dyer. Same applies with Wes Brown. Yes they're both shakey but without a doubt they will have far more defensive positional awareness than Dyer. They'll also tackle and head better than Dyer.

None of them are right-backs. Bridge will be playing on the left and Carragher in the centre. Neville is rubbish and Shorey is a left back who didn't do particularly well on Friday.

I think McClaren is thinking back to a Luxembourg match at Wembley when Dyer excelled at right-back. That seems a LONG time ago though! This could actually be a good tactic by McClaren if it means a far more attacking spirit from our full-backs. We will need to get them forward if we are ever likely to stretch Estonia. I'm not a big fan of Dyer though I must admit.

Having seen Neville and Brown on Friday I think I'd rather have Terry Venables filling in at right-back than either of those. We really are up poo creek for RBs when Gary Neville is injured!

Edited by FourLaneBlue

As far as I'm aware, nobody has been injured and we have Jamie Carragher, Nick Shorey, Phil Neville and Wayne Bridge all available as cover?...

Surely that should read "Jamie Carragher, Nick Shorey, and Wayne Bridge"?

My 2p is Carragher did a decent job and should get the nod if not needed at centre half.

Edit: my 2p, then a typo

Edited by b12_simon

Surely Mr McClaren should have seen this coming though. To be talking about playing dyer there shouldn't even be considered unless we had a fair few injuries.

I doubt bentley will get on but i spose his chances are slightly increased if dyer starts.

People seem to be forgetting that possibly Dyer's best game for England came at right back, although admittedly that came a few years ago. He's unlikely to be called upon much defensively though, and his pace and stamina would allow him to overlap Beckham on the wing.

Personally I think it's one of the few things McClaren has got right, I don't see the point of having Carragher there when he contributes little going forward. Beckham at right-back and Bentley at right-midfield isn't a bad shout, but they're probably too similar to play together and Beckham's world class form has come from midfield, not defence.

Dyer started his career as a Right-back at ispswich and was converted into an attacking midfielder whilst at newcastle. So therefore any decision, is not as daft as it sounds. However imo i would like to see someone who has played their for their club on a regular basis.

However imo i would like to see someone who has played their for their club on a regular basis.

You would think that with 20 top flight clubs and if need be another 24 championship clubs, there would be at least 1 right back worthy of a call up, instead of playing a CB or LB there?

You would think that with 20 top flight clubs and if need be another 24 championship clubs, there would be at least 1 right back worthy of a call up, instead of playing a CB or LB there?

You would think so but their seems a real lack of decent English right backs outside of Neville & Richards( don’t mention Luke Young in the sentence as England). Funnily enough we have a surplus of very good English left backs, a position historically he have often struggled with

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.