BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Bentley Called Up

Ricky

So where is Bentley right now? With the full squad, or the U21s?

If it's the latter, I hope Hughes pulls him from the squad and gives him a well deserved rest - it's going to be another long season and we'll need a healthy Bentley.

• Replies 709
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So where is Bentley right now? With the full squad, or the U21s?

If it's the latter, I hope Hughes pulls him from the squad and gives him a well deserved rest - it's going to be another long season and we'll need a healthy Bentley.

He's joining up with the U21s for the European Championship.

Maximum of five games, should England get to the final.

He's joining up with the U21s for the European Championship.

Maximum of five games, should England get to the final.

What's he doing playing in the U21 squad? He will be 23 in August!

What's he doing playing in the U21 squad? He will be 23 in August!

He was of eligible age at the start of the qualifying campaign so is allowed to carry on playing untils its completion. Its the same with Richardson as well. Otherwise the manger would have to change players all the time and wouldn't be able to have a settled side.

.... cue a mini Sutton saga?

Good decision imo and especially I suspect if it's been made in conjunction with his agent and his club manager.

I would like to imagine a conversation along the lines of "Dyer and Jenas in front of you..... twice! They are taking the p1ss son, tell em to eff off."

Edited by thenodrog

Do you wanna know what I think? I'll tell you anyway...

He's the U21's best player by far, so they didn't want him to play for the Senior side in case he got injured thus jeopardising their chances of winning the U21 tournament...which would have been good kudos for the FA and Pearce.

Well, they've blown it now because they won't win the tournament and the FA will have egg on their face for handling it like they have. He should have played against Brazil and been on the bench for Estonia not messing with kids.

Only hope it doesn't count against him for future England call ups at senior level.

Just heard about Bentley`s withdrawal on Talksport.....they said it`s because he`s "tired".

Infact they`ve just given him a real good slating.

Here endeth another Rovers players England career.

I asked Bentley at the end of the season, are you looking forward to the summer - he said no, I am not, I have to play football and I am absolutely knackered!!

Life really is a bitch eh?

Just had a horrible thought.... Hope he's not planning a holiday in Rome! :o

Edited by thenodrog

Well he's better than Dyer and Jenas, on form this season + they both played.

Regardless of whether he 'should be in the squad' - he was picked, and never played... so it was a pointless exercise thats backfired on them, as he's travelled to Wembley, trained for a week and gone all the way to Estonia and back without being even on the bench.

I asked Bentley at the end of the season, are you looking forward to the summer - he said no, I am not, I have to play football and I am absolutely knackered!!

Awwwww these players are really hard-done by aren't they?

I doubt Bentley does 65 hours a week, and not earning in a year what many footballers do in a week.

Awwwww these players are really hard-done by aren't they?

I doubt Bentley does 65 hours a week, and not earning in a year what many footballers do in a week.

England don't pay him though, we do.

I'd rather he had a break and came back fresh, especially after a season where most weeks the team played 2 games. It's hardly relaxing being a top class footballer you have to put alot of work in everyday. I imagine it's like school all over again, work hard all year then you get a nice long holiday but then you have to work hard all over again to keep up last years standards or your in trouble.

Please don't mention the two in the same sentence. I'm not saying Bentley is world class but at least he's young and still has potential... Carragher is the second most overrated English footballer ever, behind Downing! He shows commitment and real fight about the way he plays but there's no way he should be in the starting XI.

Fair enough Downing is overrated but Carragher is superb, he is one of the best defenders in the world, he was in outstanding form for Liverpool last season and also got the Player of the Year Award. How do you want him to play? he's a defender for Gods sake! Do you want him to dribble like Ronaldo??

Edited by Roar of the Rover

England don't pay him though, we do.

I never said that England paid him.

I was getting at the fact that he was using 'fatigue' as a reason why he stepped down from the U21s, when many of us have 'fatigue' 365 days a year, without a summer to relax and recover. It annoys me that highly paid footballers don't expect to work like slaves and do stupid amounts of hours in order to receive their ridiculously high salaries.

Of course from a Rovers point of view, I don't dispute the fact that this is great news for Rovers - at the end of the days it's always club over country for me.

Footballers go on holiday on 15 May and come back I think on July 2. That's just under 7 weeks holiday. I get 6 weeks holiday a year and I don't HAVE to take it at a certain time. Granted I don't get £20k per week but I also never work Saturdays or Sundays.

I think he's entitled to a rest like the rest of us. Many people's opinions on footballers lifestyles are fuelled by the media and the whopping pay packets they get.

I could quite easily see a 23 year old lad being drained after the season he has had (pretty much the first whole season he has played), plus the extended England duties recently.

I couldn't really care less about the England U-21's. Yes they are an important introduction to International football for youngsters but Bentley plays against world class players every week so he's not learning much new.......especially from Stuart Pearce!

It's great news bearing in mind we have an early start this season and it sounds lik he's committed to the cause.

If his action results in the FA never calling him up for the England squad again I for one will not lose any sleep over that. Probably improves Rovers chances of keeping him; at least a bit longer.

Guest Kamy100

Great news for Rovers but I can't see him being involved with England again in the near future. I was actually looking forward to seeing him play in the under 21's championship, he has been England's best under 21 player this season. Still at least he will be fresh and raring to go next season.

http://home.skysports.com/list.aspx?hlid=4...es+Pearce+crazy

F**k off pearce!!!

I'd rather have him fresh at start of season for us! we pay him after all

Plus, I cant see pearce being too bothered if bentley played for u21's and was knackered at start of season for us... would he!?!!

Isnt the under 21's a platform to get in the senior side? At the end of the day, he has proved himself at under 21 level and now knockin on senior team door..... why play in some tournament and burn himself out, he's played more games than more of any of them players in the squad!!

Hughes will have played a massive part in this..... he will be concerned he will be burnt out by start of season.

He has played a large % of all our games this season, including a long fa cup run, 6/7 games in uefa cup.... if he played in under 21's and England went all the way (as expected)... he would have less than 2 weeks off before intertoto cup + even less if he was to be involved in pre-season friendlies / preparation for new season.

Its only like when when United players pull out senior side not to aggrivate injuries. That wont get mentioned in tomorrow rags tho will it?!! :angry:

Edited by SuperStella

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.