BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Bentley Called Up

Ricky

Didn't Shorey play most, if not all his games for Reading at RB?

Just looked at my records and found out the answer is "NO!" I was confusing him with Murty....Sorry!

Edited by Fife Rover

• Replies 709
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really am perplexed. What has Kieron Dire EVER done in any game ANYWHERE for ANY team to suggest that he is anywhere near international class in footballing ability...... never mind in attitude? His entire career has been totally nondescript.

The only thing of note that I rem in his entire career was taking a couple of swings from Bowyer.

Edited by thenodrog

You would think so but their seems a real lack of decent English right backs outside of Neville & Richards( don’t mention Luke Young in the sentence as England). Funnily enough we have a surplus of very good English left backs, a position historically he have often struggled with

I have to disagree slightly here - we've never really struggled with left backs. From 1980 - Sansom, Pearce, Dorigo...ok, i'll give you that one!

I have to disagree slightly here - we've never really struggled with left backs. From 1980 - Sansom, Pearce, Dorigo...ok, i'll give you that one!

And from 1996 till the last couple of years we have had the likes of ,Andy hinchliffe Chris Powell and is the position where Phil Neville got over 35 caps playing

In every competition they've played in for the past few years up until this qualification phase they have done well against the smaller sides (with a couple of exceptions being Northern Ireland and I suppose you could say Sweden as well).

and Trinidad and Tobago and Paraguay and Ecuador and the Republic of Macedonia and Israel and Austria and Poland and Azerbaijan and Denmark and Wales and .....................

And from 1996 till the last couple of years we have had the likes of ,Andy hinchliffe Chris Powell and is the position where Phil Neville got over 35 caps playing

We really were awfully poor at left back looking at it now, wasn't it even during Eriksson's reign that Powell was playing because there was simply no-one else?

Makes you think really, if Warnock was around a few years earlier then he'd probably have 40 England caps by now.

Edited by LeChuck

Dyer at right-back might not be the worst thing in the world. Estonia will almost certainly defend with 8 or 9 men behind the ball and space will be at a premium. To get through that our full-backs will have to join in the attack as often as possible, and will most likely provide the bulk of our width in the match.

Having pacey, attacking full-backs will be useful - and Dyer is quick.

why not play Beckham at right back and Bentley on the right wing then? (Im not having a go I just dont rate Dyer)

Also why not play Fat Frank at the buffet bar and nowhere near the pitch

why not play Beckham at right back and Bentley on the right wing then? (Im not having a go I just dont rate Dyer)

I had a think about this, that would never work.

Beckham would always want to be whipping in early crosses, and so would Bentley. There would be very little link up play and they're just too similar to be effective.

Dyer was great for Ipswich...........then he believed his own hype, got a big head and swapped his legs for two lumps of Stilton. He could have been much more but injuries and arrogance has ruined him. He did use to play wing back when he started, so maybe he can do a job at right back. Still worry if thats the best we can do though.

Bents isnt even on the bench :blink: They could have given him a couple of weeks off but no, now he has to meet up with the under 21's then when thats done he will be back with us. He will be wrecked by xmas

Bents isnt even on the bench :blink: They could have given him a couple of weeks off but no, now he has to meet up with the under 21's then when thats done he will be back with us. He will be wrecked by xmas

From all the England games he's not playing? Ridiculous that he's not on the bench, what was the bloody point of calling the poor lad up. Knew he wouldn't get a shot against Estonia, just astonished he never got a chance in the friendly. Cruel thing to do to a player on his first call up. Especially with Lennon out. He's not going to get anymore chances until he's had some Premiership games, and even then he's going to have to play like a man possessed.

What really ###### me off today was that people who have only played Half a Season or if not less either started the game or came on as a sub (King and Dyer) and the likes of David Bentley and Jamie Carragher who have had such great seasons for there clubs were left on the bench??

I wont repeat the expleatives uttered when I saw Jermaine ###### Jenas on the subs bench instead of our Dave.

The air turning blue would not describe it.

Still a good win, a tad laboured at times but a lot better than Andorra

Like his days at Boro, McLaren is a boring, dull coach. He is under pressure so has to play the safety card in playing the more experienced players, even those of had a poor season (or hardly played at all for their clubs).

Bentley is probably thinking he has to move clubs to get a proper chance at international level. He has had the season of his life yet still can't get any game time in a struggling England team (not even in a friendly as a sub).

Thankfully, I think he will be with us for more season at least.

Edited by John

I'm sure Bentley is smart enough to realise that he only missed out on his place because one of the best players in the world at the moment happens to play the same position as him. He will see that he can get himself in the squad whilst playing for us and there is no reason why he shouldn't be able to keep himself in it and get into the team if he continues to maintain that same level of performance. I don't think it is an injustice that Bentley didn't get to play. I would have brought him on instead of Jenas against Brazil, but that isn't to say that had I been the England manager I would have felt like I needed or had to bring him on. He's been good for us this year and deserves his call-up, but the real test for him is to show that this wasn't a flash in the pan and that he is really a quality player.

Bentley is staying.

He wants to play football week in week out and he knows he will not get that anywhere. In fact, the prospect of him rejoining Arsenal makes him laugh. Why should he go to be a mediocre aspect of a 'big' club when he can stay at Rovers and be a big part of the team. As long as we are pushing for Europe places he will remain.

What really ###### me off today was that people who have only played Half a Season or if not less either started the game or came on as a sub (King and Dyer) and the likes of David Bentley and Jamie Carragher who have had such great seasons for there clubs were left on the bench??

Please don't mention the two in the same sentence. I'm not saying Bentley is world class but at least he's young and still has potential... Carragher is the second most overrated English footballer ever, behind Downing! He shows commitment and real fight about the way he plays but there's no way he should be in the starting XI.

Edited by roverich

Carragher is the second most overrated English footballer ever

Really :blink: Such a strange thing to say considering how wrong it is. I know everyone it entitled to their opinion but that comment is just stupid.

Please don't mention the two in the same sentence. I'm not saying Bentley is world class but at least he's young and still has potential... Carragher is the second most overrated English footballer ever, behind Downing! He shows commitment and real fight about the way he plays but there's no way he should be in the starting XI.

I think it would be Carragher who would be annoyed to be mentioned in the same sentence. He has proven himself time and time again in the league, europe and at international level but still can't get a good look in at centre back. He's not exactly old.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.