BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Spurs 3 - 2 Rovers

- In the end, we would have won with just one bad miss and one bad refereeing decision against us but two bad misses (Bentley's scuffed shot was almost as bad as putting a penalty wide) and three goal-deciding refereeing howlers going the wrong way was too much for even Sunday's fabulous performance to be able to overcome Spurs.

Can't agree with that - Robinson is a top, top keeper, evidenced by his awesome save of the 30 yard screamer unleashed by Bentley. I doubt the outcome of the scuffed shot would have been different, on target or not. Both goals scored against him were close range, allowing him absolutely no time to react - he's not the England keeper for nothing.

Now Sinama's miss was diabolical, but you didn't really elaborate on that wink.gif

• Replies 382
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bentley had a great chance, he has shown he could shoot and there was no reason to at least force the keeper into the save, but he should have scored really. I don't care who is in goal but at this level and with his ability there's no reason. The fact that he showed he could then challenge the keeper from 30 yards not too long later showed it shouldn't have been too tough for him. He had time, space, was in the middle of the goal and wasn't too far out.

Having said that, I also thought people made too much of Robinson's save from Bentley. Yes, it was a good save but you'd expect every keeper in the premiership to save it. He had a lot of time to see the shot, it moved a little but wasn't too far away from him and it wasn't hit with absolutely blistering pace. I'm not saying it wasn't a great effort that it didn't go in, but I didn't feel "oh what a save if only Robinson hadn't been in goal we would have scored".

I agree with you Philip, there should be optimism all round after that performance, I can't wait for what is to come.

Edited by Eddie

My only worry - I can take the huge disappointment of the Spuds defeat IF we produce a similar performance against Villa on Saturday but this time come away with three points.

We have to follow the Spurs performance with 3 points against Villa. If we can do this (and given Rovers great ability to follow up good performances with totally inept ones it is no means certain), we could be 3 points behind Spurs again following the weekend games. And effectively back in the hunt.

Though I would hate Chelsea to win the Euro Money League - I will cheer them on tonight. Hopefully the distraction of continued involvement will help when we play them.

Though I would hate Chelsea to win the Euro Money League - I will cheer them on tonight. Hopefully the distraction of continued involvement will help when we play them.

As long as it doesn't help Spurs next weekend, DMTP huh.gif

The history books may only show who won and lost but that game will live with me in my memory forever. I was proud of our team, we could just have easily hung our heads and took a good hiding. We did not, the game was exciting and full of entertainment. It also has had the effect of some of the media Rovers bashers turning on their heels (that in itself could be priceless)

I think perhaps jim is just locked in to the memorable game with spurs in the 60's.

Lighten up jim yeah we lost the game but we have also won on several fronts.

rover.gif In less than a week we have seen why cloughie used to say 'football is a funny old game' last week we hammered spurs for no reward,this week we get hammered and win.blatant handball in the last minute last week = reids assist this week tinykit.gif

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.