BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Spurs 3 - 2 Rovers

on the highlights did they show lucas neill's run where he danced round 3 or 4 spuds after a brilliant tackle!!

he should of gone all the way, for some reason he passed? blink.gif

388847[/snapback]

That was ace,why doesn't he do that more often huh.gif

• Replies 382
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Even Football365 had praise for Rovers:

"If F365 ran the 'Greatest Understatements of the Year’ feature this week, rather than last, then we would to have kick-off with Mark Hughes contention that Spurs were "quite fortunate" on Sunday to beat a Blackburn side that had given the home side a devastating lesson in football.

While the Blackburn players were "at a loss to understand" how they lost, neutrals were struggling to cope with a performance that was as fluid and dominant as any produced in the Premiership away from home this season. Typically depicted as a bunch of thugs, Rovers cavorted around White Hart Lane like a cast of ballerinas. Even Robbie Savage seemed human.

Defeat was a consequence of three decisions which varied in their dreadfulness but were uniform in their bias towards - surprise, surprise - the home side: a throw-in wrongly, but predictably, awarded to Tottenham by a man standing in front of 5,000 baying Tottenham fans, Robbie Keane’s sly use of an arm to score Spurs' second, and a blatant handball in the penalty area by Paul Stalteri that was unfathomably missed by both Howard Webb and the Match of the Day 2 cameras.

The bad news for Spurs is that they will only have the advantage of playing with 13 men in four of their remaining ten matches.

The bad news for Blackburn is that they now trail Spurs by six points."

The bad news for Spurs is that they will only have the advantage of playing with 13 men in four of their remaining ten matches.

388870[/snapback]

Very cute.

tnr the "big" clubs have always got the decisions as long as I can remember. It's only when it's "big" club against "big" club the officials seem completely unaffected.

Bellamy's finish was excellent yesterday  smile.gif

I shudder to think what would have happened if Kuqi was in his place.

On his recent performances, Bellamy should be among the top 3 British strikers out there. Is there a better striker out there apart from Rooney and maybe Owen?

388754[/snapback]

Personally I thought he would be a good if not exceptional forward for us when we signed him.

Now I find myself agreeing with you. He has all the raw pace of Owen combined with a Rooney like ability to pick the ball up deep and pick players out with passes. His finishing is excellent too.

The only British player I would swap him for would be Rooney. Owen does not have that ability to create.

It is no exaggeration to say that the player he most closely resembles in style is Henry. f we are to keep him we need European football!

it should have been quite a lovely day after ROVERS make tottenham look very very ordinary.

regretted visiting this forum, although the main intention was hoping to be able to see some really positive comments coming from the 'geniune' rovers fan, however wat i saw was pages after pages of rubbish postings!

the following are some of my thoughts............

1) if winning is the only thing people want from rovers, i would seriously suggest that CHEALSEA, MANU, ARSE & LIVER are clubs u should be supporting. ( oh! pls do take note those clubs do lose at times), how abt being a golf fan and supporting tiger woods instead?(heard he had won something again recently)....................

2) yesh! history only shows the score. so if u are so interested in such statistic records, why even bother watching soccer? just stay home and play some emotionless board games.

3)who are u to openly criticize someone being rubbish? even IF u can do a better job then him (having serious doubts u can), wat rights do u have????????? not to mention after such a terrific performance from every single rovers player out on the pitch.

4) favouritism is getting out of hand in this forum .............. fans from other clubs would be mocking at rovers fans for being so shallow. even oppositions gave more credits to the rovers team than some of our fans............

5)btw if u guys are expecting emerton to become a superstar after such a long bad spell overnight. GIVE him a break! and come back to reality. from wat i observe from the match, i think he was much better then wat he was in the past. at least he is slowly getting better. although he commited a few mistakes, but that doesn't justifty those rude comments on him.

lastly i am ALWAYS proud to be a rovers fan despite majority of people in my country are the BIG 4 supporters!

( apologize for any rude remarks on anyone...... cuz i m in the state of extreme anger while typing this post ) mad.gif

thanks for the understanding

What a brilliant post from Rovers!

Yesh!

ps. I still wouldn't play Emerton though next game. Bentley and Pedersen on the wings please, with Tugs and Savage in the middle.

388934[/snapback]

Brave decision jbn to also drop our brand new six million pound man! ohmy.gif

My thoughts too.

But the history books show only that we lost, not how well we played.

388860[/snapback]

The history books show that we lost at Parkhead too Jim, in spite of playing them off the park for almost 90 minutes.

it should have been quite a lovely day after ROVERS make tottenham look very very ordinary.

regretted visiting this forum, although the main intention was hoping to be able to see some really positive comments coming from the 'geniune' rovers fan, however wat i saw was pages after pages of rubbish postings!

the following  are some of my thoughts............

1) if winning is the only thing people want from rovers, i would seriously suggest that CHEALSEA, MANU, ARSE & LIVER are clubs u should be supporting. ( oh! pls do take note those clubs do lose at times), how abt being a golf fan and supporting tiger woods instead?(heard he had won something again recently)....................

2) yesh! history only shows the score. so if u are so interested in such statistic records, why even bother watching soccer? just stay home and play some emotionless board games.

3)who are u to openly criticize someone being rubbish? even IF u can do a better job then him (having serious doubts u can), wat rights do u have????????? not to mention after such a terrific performance from every single rovers player out on the pitch.

4) favouritism is getting out of hand in this forum .............. fans from other clubs would be mocking at rovers fans for being so shallow. even oppositions gave more credits to the rovers team than some of our fans............

5)btw if u guys are expecting emerton to become a superstar after such a long bad spell overnight. GIVE him a break! and come back to reality. from wat i observe from the match, i think he was much better then wat he was in the past. at least he is slowly getting better. although he commited a few mistakes, but that doesn't justifty those rude comments on him.

lastly i am ALWAYS proud to be a rovers fan despite majority of people in my country are the BIG 4 supporters!

( apologize for any rude remarks on anyone...... cuz i m in the state of extreme anger while typing this post )  mad.gif 

388921[/snapback]

Well said Sir. I have been trying for some time to convey the sentiments you express so eloquently to a number of wooden headed numpties that regularly throw their rattles out of the pram on this MB.

Its a cruel, cruel game, but you do make your own luck to an extent. Their first two goals wouldn't have stood but for bad/unfortunate officiating, but niether mistake would have mattered if the defenders and keeper had done their jobs properly.

That's true Radagast. It can indeed be a cruel game and I felt we deserved at least a point on Sunday, but although our approach play was generally very good, it's still Mark Hughes's job to look at and analyse the reasons why we lost.

For me there are three main reasons. Firstly, a couple of key refereeing decisions went against us - which is out of our hands. Secondly, Rovers unfortunately went to sleep and were guilty of sloppy play a couple of minutes after Bellamy made the score 2-2 in the second half. Thirdly, Pongolle should have scored from a simple chance in front of goal, but he wasn't alert enough to get a foot onto it.

There was one other bad miss from Rovers when David Bentley mishit a shot from a good position, striking the ball to the right of Robinson's goal when he should have done better.

Whether the first goal from Robbie Keane after nine minutes should have been a throw-in to Rovers or to Spurs is out of our hands, but it seemed to me that one or two of our players like Andy Todd were slow to react to the danger. It was fine individual skill from Keane, but I felt our defence should have been quicker to block the ball.

For the second Robbie Keane goal from the Mido free-kick, Brad will be disappointed that he was only able to palm the ball in front of Keane, who used his arm to control the ball before slotting it into the net.

A well-worked Rovers goal just before half-time made the score 2-1. Steven Reid released the ball down the right for Bellamy, who used his pace to get in front of Ledley King and whip a good cross in for Pongolle to score with a diving header.

Apart from that headed goal from Pongolle, I was disappointed with his overall contribution in the first half. I thought he was off the pace for much of the first half and his control and first touch let him down. Clearly the Frenchman still has quite a bit of work to do on his game.

The equaliser in the second half came after a period of sustained Rovers pressure. A long ball from Savage resulted in Ledley King making a mistake with a header, deflecting the ball into the path of Pongolle who cut the ball back for Bellamy to score.

For a period of at least 20 minutes in the second half, Rovers were the dominant side up until the equaliser and performed as well as I've seen them play this season. Unfortunately though we weren't able to turn our dominance of possession into a third goal. Spurs have only lost to Chelsea at White Hart Lane this season and after our equaliser I hoped we might become the second team to win at the Lane this season.

It was hugely disappointing that a couple of minutes after equalising, Rovers switched off and became sloppy in possession. I thought Michael Gray didn't get tight enough on Aaron Lennon, who ran down the wing and crossed the ball for Mido to score. Fair enough, Gray might not have the pace of Lennon, but you could question Michael's initial defensive positioning which wasn't tight enough. And I suspect that when Martin Jol brought Lennon on in the second half he may have felt that Gray was a weak link to be exploited.

In the closing minutes of the game, with Rovers pushing forward, Spurs played on the counter-attack and Mido missed one good chance in injury time. It would have been an even bigger injustice to have lost the game 4-2.

Spurs are the only Premiership club never to have finished in either the top six or the bottom six of the Premiership. Since 1992, their finishing position has ranged from 7th to 15th. It's highly likely that Spurs will finish in the top six for the first time this season and may also finish above Arsenal to claim a Champions League spot.

For Rovers, I can't honestly see us finishing in the top four, but a top six finish would represent an excellent achievement. It's frustrating though to think back to some of the silly points we dropped last month against West Brom and ten-men Everton at Goodison Park. Those two away performances were unacceptable, but apart from one or two individual mistakes Rovers can hold their heads high after Sunday's performance.

Edited by Anti Euro Smiths Fan

the following  are some of my thoughts............

( apologize for any rude remarks on anyone...... cuz i m in the state of extreme anger while typing this post )  mad.gif 

388921[/snapback]

1) Of course winning is what the fans want. Is that not what all fans want? But it is not all we want; we want to win with passion and style. But that does not make defeat any more disapointing.

2) History will only recall the score. Few will remember what a good game this was and we needed the points. This doesn't mean that the fans are emotionless or passionless.

3) Who are we, as paying fans, who give up a lot of our time and give our everything to support our team, to criticize a team of freakin FOOTBALLERS, most of which have little affinity with the club? In any other profession an employee that underperformed would be out of a job. We are well within our right to criticize the players as we are the ones that pay their cheques!

4)I don't really understand your point.. We are showing favouritism to the opposition? I don't think so somehow.

5) Excusing the poor grammar in this point, give Emerton, a man who has consistently underperformed for more than two seasons, a break?! You have got to be kidding! No, we don't expect him to get miraculously better over night; we expect nothing! "slowly getting better," is little consolation. For the record, I thought he had a pretty good game on Sunday.

We are all proud to be Rovers supporters, especially right now. We give the club our support week in, week out. We love the club, we support the club, but that doesn't mean we won't criticize when criticism is due. I don't think there is really much to criticize from Sundays game, but it is well within our rights as loyal fans!

Edited by tcj_jones

Brave decision jbn to also drop our brand new six million pound man! ohmy.gif

388945[/snapback]

Eh?

If you mean Reid I think he has done excellently but if we want to get the points that midfield four offers the most.

If Tugay isn't fit the bald headed London Irish dynamo should get a crack on the wing/in the centre.

i'm not absolving howard webb of any blame.. but wasn't he the very same ref who gave pederson's handball goal st james earlier this season? so i guess the axiom that luck evens itself out over the season has struck... or the conspiracy theorists might say that webb deliberately allowed keane's goal to make up for his error? then again, two wrongs don't make a right.

After the disappointment of defeat, a few reflections:

- ROVERS is 100% right, great post

- ozzie, not only Tugay but MGP was missing as well- for all those who attack his outfield play, he would have revelled in the close fast interplay we showed on Sunday. His corners wouldn't have been any worse than the ones Reid took and we won enough (9) for his 1 in 9 average of wonder corners to have come good- once!

- This was probably as great a watershed game for national perception of Rovers as our biff bang semi in Cardiff was in making us Blackeye Rovers. I expect that Rovers' performance at WHL will lodge itself in the memories of many hacks especially if Spuds go on to give Chelski a thorough (and hopefully futile) examination next Saturday.

- In the end, we would have won with just one bad miss and one bad refereeing decision against us but two bad misses (Bentley's scuffed shot was almost as bad as putting a penalty wide) and three goal-deciding refereeing howlers going the wrong way was too much for even Sunday's fabulous performance to be able to overcome Spurs. I wonder if other Refs watched that and the aggravating three bookings a game we seem to pick up will begin to drop now?

- for fans, it probably doesn't matter that much we lost in the final analysis. Obviously Sunday's game will be seen as a high watermark if we subside in the last ten games but could it equally be the watershed when we truly revealed the new super slick Rovers which is capable of fabulous football?

- yes the record books say we lost as they did at Parkhead. But being a fan includes shared memories of heroic performances that didn't quite get what they deserved and that Spurs performance is right up there in the pantheon of Rovers' heroic matches.

- for the armchair fans, surely that exhilerating performance has got to get them believing again? With a fantastic run-in to the season end and with an amazing achievement (CL) just possible, a cracking achievement (UEFA) very possible and a we'll take it achievement (Intertoto) in the margin for error, we are almost in a no lose position unless Sparky allows the luxury of a few too many West Broms.

- Two days on and I am still extremely excited by memories of that fantastic performance and really looking forwards to the rest of the season. We know that Liverpool and Chelsea will be massive games and we can look forwards with confidence to Rovers giving them a game, perhaps even a footballing lesson or two. The other games are all extremely winnable- Sparky has got the Rovers into a mindset to get a series of results against potential banana skin opposition; look at the two runs to Cup semi-finals. Treat the next five games as the equivalent of a kind draw for a run to the semi-final and the future is looking good, very good.

Edited by philipl

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.