BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Champions League

Eddie,

We'll agree to disagree, but I'll just say this. Your analysis of Barca is wrong. There were at least two occasions this season in La Liga (I forget the opponents), when Barca went down to ten men and continued to attack. I work with a Barca fan who has seen nearly every game this season, and, as he sits next to me at this very moment is scoffing at the notion that they would have retreated into a defensive shell like Arsenal did. They go 3 at the back drop Edmilson/Motta/Iniesta or Xavi a little deeper and continue to play their game. They play with the philosophy that having the ball is the best defense. I'm not necessarily saying they would have poured forward in wave after attacking wave, but you would never seem them camping 9 men behind the ball for the 75 minutes. I challenge you to ask any informed Barca fan, and I guarantee you they will tell you the same, this team does not know how to play any other way. You can call it stupidity if you wish, but it's just a fact.

At any rate, I respect your opinion...cheers.

409183[/snapback]

That is fine, but would they really have done that in the Champions League final?

That is fine, but would they really have done that in the Champions League final?

409308[/snapback]

I think they would have. Like I said, I don't think they would have poured forward recklessly with a 1-0 lead, but they certainly would have got the ball down and passed it around. That's just THEIR game. Arsenal were just trying to spring Henry for a counter-second goal.

I think they would have. Like I said, I don't think they would have poured forward recklessly with a 1-0 lead, but they certainly would have got the ball down and passed it around. That's just THEIR game. Arsenal were just trying to spring Henry for a counter-second goal.

409351[/snapback]

I think you're being overly harsh there on Arsenal's tactics. If that is true then I have to say Barcelona's lack of a a cutting edge up until the 75th minute was quite shocking, while their inability to handle the Arsenal attacks also quite poor.

I think you're being overly harsh there on Arsenal's tactics. If that is true then I have to say Barcelona's lack of a a cutting edge up until the 75th minute was quite shocking, while their inability to handle the Arsenal attacks also quite poor.

409357[/snapback]

Well, it's pretty hard to look good when there are 21 men in one half the field. Arsenal's only attacks were Henry running at defenders by himself, granted, they didn't deal all that well, but he's Thierry Henry.

Incidentally, aren't you an admitted Barcelona hater, Eddie? I thought I read that in one of your posts. I mean

• 2 years later...

I think that the 'Champions'' League has been detrimental to top flight English football. In the past, if the English league champions did not retain their title, they fell back into the melting pot of the top flight. This is how so many different clubs (8?) won the League title in the 60's. Now they retain Champions' League income for a 2nd, 3rd or 4th finish whilst they have another tilt at the English title. So we have 6 clubs chasing a top 4 finish and 14 clubs fighting relegation until the Spring. The financial gap between the top 4 and the rest of the league gets bigger every year. THIS IS RUBBISH.

• 2 weeks later...

Poor draw - the expected Chelsea v Liverpool tie.

The 2 potential teams that could stop english teams (Barca & Bayern) drawn together so thats 1 less risk out of the way.

City got Hamburg in the UEFA cup, that could be an interesting tie.

Guest Kamy100

Bayern v Barca should be a great game.

Maybe I am being Paranoid, but think that Platani would love a United v Liverpool final, for them to smash up Rome and then he and his cronies can ban English clubs from Europe and stop their domination.

• 2 weeks later...
For all the criticism we get for hoofing it, I don't believe Liverpool have passed it on the deck since Chelsea took the lead. Woofting it up all night.

Liverpool regularly 'hoof' it up the pitch. They don't play attractive football at all. Its just they don't get criticism for it as they have torres and gerrard playing for them and we have roberts and andrews.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.