BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Mclaren

I was a bit disappointed when we hired the Swede, this had got me despondent. Nothing has changed at the FA. What has McClaren done? One could say the same of big Sam but McClaren is a limp fish, just like the Swede emotionless, passionless. How long before the roar of the English Lion is just a meow. Now I feel really sorry for Rooney, if he does not make this World Cup he may go his whole career never playing for England in another Major tournament, not with this clown at the helm.

Buggar. I've hated this bunch since they refused to appoint perhaps the best manager in the World at the time, the late great Brian Clough, old school tie and all that.

Fire the lot of 'em and re-build from scratch with young, ambitious and savvy businessmen who love the game of Football.

Could someone tell me what happened to Martin O'Neill (my pick for the job). Was he eliminated or did he not want the job? I can see the pussies at the FA having a problem with Martins staight forward manner but I think he was the best Britain has to offer. God I can't deal with this.

Edited by USABlue

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What worries me most is we will never have a crop of players like we have now again, so if we dont win anything between now and 20014 we will never win anything.

405076[/snapback]

Bloody hell, that's a looooooong time.

One could say the same of big Sam but McClaren is a limp fish, just like the Swede emotionless, passionless.  How long before the roar of the English Lion is just a meow.  Now I feel really sorry for Rooney, if he does not make this World Cup he may go his whole career never playing for England in another Major tournament, not with this clown at the helm.

405078[/snapback]

Now that imo is a little extreme.

Firstly, when you say that McClaren isn't 'passionate' are you decrying his lack of Kevin Keegan type histrionics on the touchline? It is possible to be a good manager without acting like a loon on the side of the pitch - Benitez amongst others.

However, if you're talking about McClaren's capacity to inspire the troops when things are going badly at half-time, I would agree with you. After all, McClaren was there in Japan and Korea.

Secondly, it is idiocy to suggest that we won't qualify for another tournament under McClaren. That is baseless negativity. We coasted to qualification under Sven. SVEN! The most inept waster England has seen for a while. If Sven can do it, McClaren can. Of course, whether we can win it is a different story.

Edited by rover6

Firstly, when you say that McClaren isn't 'passionate' are you decrying his lack of Kevin Keegan type histrionics on the touchline? It is possible to be a good manager without acting like a loon on the side of the pitch - Benitez amongst others.

However, if you're talking about McClaren's capacity to inspire the troops when things are going badly at half-time, I would agree with you. After all, McClaren was there in Japan and Korea.

Secondly, it is idiocy to suggest that we won't qualify for another tournament under McClaren. That is baseless negativity. We coasted to qualification under Sven. SVEN! The most inept waster England has seen for a while. If Sven can do it, McClaren can. Of course, whether we can win it is a different story.

405104[/snapback]

Fully agree with Rover6 on this one. If people want passion on the touchline then we should hire a performing chimp. Some of the hysteria over this appointment is frankly embarassing.

Sven is inept? Our best manage since Ramsey is inept? Your an arse sometimes.

Can I give you some results -

Engalnd 4 - Spain 0

Denmark 0 - England 3

England 2 - Turkey 0

and my favorite which is why Sven will always have my thanks.

Germany 1 - England 5 (five)

And losing to Brazil was disapointing and Losing to Portugal was very unlucky, even is the tactics were wrong, we lost in penalties after having a perfectly good goal disallowed

so hes not inept just not as good as we want every England manager to be. Which is impossible because no one is that perfect. Under Sven we win games which is what he's paid for. I dont think we'll win the World Cup, with or without Rooney, I think the Argies and Brazilians will be strongest, with a 2nd Tier of France Italy England and Germany (as they're the host nations)

if you want inept, Keegan was inept, Taylor was inept, sven isnt, hes just dull.

There's a big difference

I believe that the reason why the FA (and the public) would prefer an English boss is that they will have more passion than Sven who just sees it as a job.

HOWEVER, I don't even think that McClaren has the passion and emotion to fulfill this - maybe Big Sam would've been the man to show a bit of emotion. McClaren is just as placid as Sven.

Sven is inept? Our best manage since Ramsey is inept? Your an arse sometimes.

Can I give you some results -

Engalnd 4 - Spain 0

Denmark 0 - England 3

England 2 - Turkey 0

and my favorite which is why Sven will always have my thanks.

Germany 1 - England 5 (five)

And losing to Brazil was disapointing and Losing to Portugal was very unlucky, even is the tactics were wrong, we lost in penalties after having a perfectly good goal disallowed

so hes not inept just not as good as we want every England manager to be. Which is impossible because no one is that perfect. Under Sven we win games which is what he's paid for. I dont think we'll win the World Cup, with or without Rooney, I think the Argies and Brazilians will be strongest, with a 2nd Tier of France Italy England and Germany (as they're the host nations)

if you want inept, Keegan was inept, Taylor was inept, sven isnt, hes just dull.

There's a big difference

405108[/snapback]

Sorry Flopsy, but I still stongly believe Sven is inept. There have been good results but with the riches at his disposal, it would've been a crime if we hadn't achieved good results and qualified for tournaments. Arguably, the current crop are the best set of players any England manager has had to pick from for aeons.

Please cast your mind back to the embarrassing way we surrendered to Brazil. Never mind Sven's tactics in Euro 2004 - what about his selections? Darius Vassell?! Where was Jermaine Defoe? Where was Shaun Wright-Phillips? Why was Beckham playing when unfit? Why did he not get subbed for so long when it was clear he wasn't performing? WHy was Owen Hargreaves coming on to play left wing? Why was Heskey disposed of mid-tournament when we desperately needed a big man who might do something with the aimless long punts forward? Why on earth was Scholes playing left midfield?

Sven is a supine manager. He doesn't have the guts to make big decisions. Everyone knows that he has to make a decision of picking one of Lampard or Gerrard alongside a defensive midfielder for the World Cup. However, the guy hasn't got the balls to make that decision so will pick both and watch as Gerrard puts in another under-par tournament.

Prior to Euro 2004 he intended to play a diamond formation in midfield. Along come shop-steward Gary Neville and skipper Becks and demand to play 4-4-2 and of course, he caves in. You might call that listening to your players - but imagine a REAL manager doing that. Can you? - Alex Ferguson? Jose Mourinho?

His record in Serie A is pretty poor considering the talented sides he's had at his disposal. There a people more qualified to talk about Serie A football than me but I'm sure the consensus is that he ain't all that good. Of course, he has achieved qualification for England every time and the records might rank him alongside the greats but stats are only the tip of the iceberg. According to the stats, Morten Gamst Pedersen was the best left winger in the Premiership this season.

The FA fooled themselves into thinking they had found a mentally strong, tactical genius. And gave him the appropriate contract. Now they realise that they have given a king's ransom to a fraud.

I don't care whether Sven is a complete dullard or not. I care that he's a rubbish manager who is being unjustly enriched.

Edited by rover6

all this talk of 'yes man' is absolute nonsense.

most of you on here saying it should have been big sam, were slating him last week when it looked like big phil was the man the FA had chosen.

this message board is bursting at the seems with people who like nothing better than to moan!

To be honest, I didn't mind whether it was Sam or Steve - I think they could have both done a very good job.

They both know how to anaylise a game and change things if they are not working. I for one am pretty happy.

Still can't believe that most of you wanted a guy who couldn't even speak english!!!

Before Sven we hadn't had a decent manager since Venebles. The fact that we have qualified for every major tournament under Sven is something to cherish given the failures in the past.

I also think that this argument about England's 'golden generation' is completely exagerated. Sure we have 4 or 5 top quality players but compare the teams from 1990 and 2006 and exactly how much better are we? Maybe a little but not much.

1990 2006

Shilton Robinson

Parker Neville

Walker Ferdinand

Butcher Terry

Pearce Cole

Gazza Cole

Platt Beckham

Waddle Lampard

Barnes Gerard

Beardsley Rooney

Lineker Owen

Sven's done a good job and lost two important matches both by very slender margins.

Of course there are regrets but the influence of coaches at international level is nowhere near as important as at club level. The England 1st eleven picks itself, all the coach can do is decide what place on the field to make them all stand.

For the same reasons Steve Mclaren is not a disaster. By all acounts he is a very good coach and he's got the respect of the players. I wouldn't want him managing Rovers but I don't mind him managing England.

I have a theory….

England do sh** in World cup and then Europeans; FA can turn around and say…well Mcclaren coach then Manager not working out…then that will be just on time to draft in Wenger…or at least someone with a bit more passion…he moves on a little more than Sven on the touchline!!!!

GUTTED…no chance under McClaren or I’ll dye my hair red!!

I think McClaren will do a decent job; he's been in the set up for a while, can coach, and has great players at his disposal. England fans would moan whoever was given the job. If he wins games all will be forgotten.

Sven has never impressed me. We play hit them on the break football, try to get one and hold out. Our last two tournament exits have been down to the same managerial tactical cluelessness. Brazil in 2002; if we'd have gone in at half time 1-0 up we would have won as his plan would have worked, but it was 1-1. Sven wanted to hold on and bully the flamboyant Samba stars into submission; it did not work, because we had no other plan to get at them. Euro 2004; Rooney went off injured, the only player capable of doing something, so he brings on Vassell, the exact same style player as Owen. We then spend the next 70 munutes humping the ball up to two strikers who don't hold the ball up well and it comes straight back.

England has a very talented group of players right now. Our "spine" of Robinson, Terry, Gerrard, and Rooney all have at least one more WC to play in in their 20's (Owen still has another one, he'll be 30 in 2010). Add a few more and you have the makings of a decent squad.

405104[/snapback]

You call Sven inept, possibly the most succesful manager, results wise in god knows how long and then, in the same breath accuse me of idiocy. Classic that.

Yes I fully believe England will do poorly under McClaren. Baseless negativity? Well spending millions to build a team to finish in the lofty position of 13th, if that's baseless then so be it.

Capacity to inspire at half time? You would agree with me? no actually that was the furthest thing on my mind, but the EUFA cup comebacks seem to blow holes in your thoughts.

Sven has been successful results-wise?

I would argue (no doubt you will disagree) that that is the equivalent of saying Morten Gamst Pedersen is the best left winger in the Premiership statistics-wise.

I also note you've changed your tune. You said that England would probably not qualify for a major tournament under McClaren. That's what I described as baseless negativity.

I would put the UEFA cup comebacks down to the immense talent Boro have at their disposal rather than McClaren's Churchillian oratory skills. Those highly paid superstars are occasionally going to pull the finger out now and again - regardless of who the manager is.

But i wasn't in that dressing room so I wouldn't know. What I do know is that Southgate compared Sven to Iain Duncan Smith in terms of being a man of inspiration, and this man is the best England manager since Ramsey.

Maybe the Tories made a mistake in ditching IDS after all.

Sven has been successful results-wise?

I would argue (no doubt you will disagree) that that is the equivalent of saying Morten Gamst Pedersen is the best left winger in the Premiership statistics-wise.

I also note you've changed your tune. You said that England would probably not qualify for a major tournament under McClaren. That's what I described as baseless negativity.

I would put the UEFA cup comebacks down to the immense talent Boro have at their disposal rather than McClaren's Churchillian oratory skills. Those highly paid superstars are occasionally going to pull the finger out now and again - regardless of who the manager is.

But i wasn't in that dressing room so I wouldn't know. What I do know is that Southgate compared Sven to Iain Duncan Smith in terms of being a man of inspiration, and this man is the best England manager since Ramsey.

Maybe the Tories made a mistake in ditching IDS after all.

405226[/snapback]

Hah you're right R6, you are haved just backed my opinion and you don't know it. This England manager was a Boro was he not? The same team that you say has this IMMENSE TALENT. How then did our future manager manage to get them to finish below halfway? Baseless you say. So who was your top choice? Wait don't tell me.... was it PAUL STURROCK. Don't worry R6, I also thought Hughes would be a flop at Ewood. Can we not all have our opinions? time will tell, I 'd love to be as wrong about this as I was with Hughes but I really don't think I will be, me or many Thousands of others it seems like.

Oh and Pedersen I never was all gaga googoo about him, never rated him that highly, even through the beating of the Mancs euphoria period.

Edited by USABlue

Could someone tell me what happened to Martin O'Neill (my pick for the job).  Was he eliminated or did he not want the job?  I can see the pussies at the FA having a problem with Martins staight forward manner but I think he was the best Britain has to offer.  God I can't deal with this.

405078[/snapback]

I heard that O'Neill insisted on bringing in all his own backroom staff with whom he has worked with for years, whilst the FA wanted the new man to continue with Sammy Lee, Clemence etc.

Reading between the lines O'Neill is charismatic and forceful and the FA would never countenance the employment of such a strong personality.

What a Farce,

the FA have appointed the most tacticly inept and dullest man in English football.  This season Boro have been one of the worst teams to watch in the premiership yet they give this dullard the England job.  Yes, hes got said team to the UEFA cup final but said team rode their luck a lot and could not be consistent over 38 games.

405076[/snapback]

The European games would provide motivation for the players something that Maclaren obviously could not do for the Sat afternoon bread and butter of The Prem. It is obvious to a blind man on a galloping horse that Maclaren is actually a de-motivator.

Hah you're right R6, you are haved just backed my opinion and you don't know it.  This England manager was a Boro was he not?  The same team that you say has this IMMENSE TALENT.  How then did our future manager manage to get them to finish below halfway?  Baseless you say.  So who was your top choice?  Wait don't tell me.... was it PAUL STURROCK.  Don't worry R6, I also thought Hughes would be a flop at Ewood.  Can we not all have our opinions?  time will tell, I 'd love to be as wrong about this as I was with Hughes but I really don't think I will be, me or many Thousands of others it seems like.

Oh and Pedersen I never was all gaga googoo about him, never rated him that highly, even through the beating of the Mancs euphoria period.

405289[/snapback]

Ok so after a bit of ranting from me, I have established that we do actually agree that McClaren isn't a very good manager and the FA should have gone for someone else.

However, I believe McClaren to be an upgrade on Sven and you disagree. I'm sorry if I was disrespecting your opinion but the issue of Sven and his £4 million a year gets my blood boiling every time - and not just through avarice...!