BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Mclaren

I disagree. Rooney is an absolutely superb footballer and would grace any international side. Gerrard is also a supremely gifted player who would have no trouble getting into any nation's midfield-I have no doubt that the would fit into the engine rooms of Brazil, Italy, France, Germany and Argentina without any hesitation.

I disagree about Gerrard, or even Rooney getting into those teams, perhaps germany but none of the others. The difference between those teams (particularly Argentina) and England is that they play their best team not their best 11 players and arent afraid to drop a player if he isnt performing....something England just do not do!

The most obvious example being Lampard who has been poo at international level for a year or so...but also playing Neville at wingback last night was pretty stupid.

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What rubbish! These guys kick footballs endlessly all day and every day. Skills are not as important in this equation as attitudes, tactics and application. Ronaldo and Ronaldinho are the most skilful players I know but there are only a few like that.

You can kick a ball 24 hours a day , Theno , but the formulative years are the most important , from the age of 8 til 15 or so - the same in any sport whether it be snooker , tennis or whatever .

I remember when I was at school . It was a bit of running etc and then straight onto a game where you'd be lucky if you had the ball at your feet for more than a few seconds in the entire game .( Luckily some are born skillful but others aren't so lucky... ;) )

I suspect that life in the schools hasn't changed much . When you combine that with the fact that kids don't play on the streets much nowadays , then there's a problem . Tactics and application etc are icing on the cake of skill .

It seems to me that the tactics talk is masking the problems of inflexibility among our top players. Remember when we were promoted Rovers would switch to 3 at the back if necessary and go back to 4-4-2 just as easily. The Croat manager said it's not about formations but about players being adaptable and when you watch the best teams play they don't seem to stick rigidly to any formation but the players seem comfortable moving into areas of the pitch they feel they can exploit. When Rovers are on song they seem to move from formation to formation covering for one another and dropping back or pushing up depending on what they sense about the opposition. Now of course sometimes that goes wrong but if a team like ours can attempt it surely the so called stars of England should be more than capable, but it seems they lose the ability to think

when they put on an England shirt.

They have both been nominated for the FIFA world player of the year award.

Football 365

i wasnt saying that they are not good players, rather that they might not get into the suggested teams because unlike England, these teams do not pick players based merely on reputation.

Im pretty sure that those nominations would be based on their club performances...which has no bearing on how they perform for their country, which is what we are talking about after all.

I disagree about Gerrard, or even Rooney getting into those teams, perhaps germany but none of the others. The difference between those teams (particularly Argentina) and England is that they play their best team not their best 11 players and arent afraid to drop a player if he isnt performing....something England just do not do!

The most obvious example being Lampard who has been poo at international level for a year or so...but also playing Neville at wingback last night was pretty stupid.

I can tell you that any French supporter would take Gerrard or Rooney, as well as a host of other England players.

I can live with england playing badly, I can live with poor players playing for England. What I struggle with is the McLaren interview after the game when he said he thought after the first 15 minutes that we were controlling the game, and that the second goal was the deciding factor in the game. Nonsense

I also struggle to have an afinity with an England team with players such as Ashley Cole, Ferdinand, Terry, Lampard and Crouch strolling round the pitch like they are world beaters.

Whatever formation they play, the movement off the ball is really poor and the closing down of the opposition is poor also.

Give me the rovers any day.

I can tell you that any French supporter would take Gerrard or Rooney, as well as a host of other England players.

They just got done over by Scotland, so that's hardly a recommendation. They'd probably have Barry Ferguson, too.

Given that most of the current French team aren't actually French, it's probably only a matter of time ... ...

:unsure:

Given that most of the current French team aren't actually French, it's probably only a matter of time ... ...

When his country won the tournament in 1998, the racist politician Jean-Marie Le Pen complained that France were "not a real French team." Presumably, the millions of citizens who took to the streets in celebration didn't agree.

Tris, i understand your post isnt racist and that you're not a nazi. :D

Losing to Croatia away isn't in itself any reason to really worry (As they have NEVER lost at that stadium), but I suppose it's the manner in which it happened that's got everyone worked up? Plus, of course, the Macedonia game.

England does have a very good side, but I think it's wrong to expect to outplay opponents with your skill. Because most English players (Like my team, Sweden) don't have technique as their main strengths, it's the combination of some technique, physique, work rate, team work and tactical awareness that's always been the Northern European way. That's what the team should focus on. Now I'm not saying that your players have no skill or flair or anything, just that when comparing to teams like Brazil the quality lies in different areas. Brazil can outplay even very good teams, some teams need to rather outmuscle and outrun them. Basicly, play more like Blackburn and less like Arsenal. Might not be as attractive, but I'm sure you'd rather have results?

Just reading the papers this morning. Is anybody happy that Steve Maclaren is England manager? His tenure will be one of the shortest ever! The FA are complete bloody buffoons aren't they? First then Wembley fiasco / disaster and now this. They should be disbanded and replaced by some other more accountable governing body.

Reports too that Brooking is on the point of resigning too.

Some of the papers are doing their usual hypocritical about-turns. After sticking the knife in they are now defending McClaren. Funniest of all is Martin Samuel in the NOTW. Every week I get wound up with his idiotic diatribes and this week he is trying to argue that McClaren was right to try 3-5-2 against Croatia, because "we have won nothing in 40 years using 4-4-2". Of course, he loses sight of the small but important detail that you have to qualify for a tournament to actually win it, but hey, it's the papers so what does reality have to do with it. He also seems to conveniently forget that we had a bunch of meaningless friendlies during which time we played 4-4-2 didn't we? So why did McClaren not use those games to get us ready for his genius tactical masterplan of using a 10 year old system? Buffoons doesn't do justice!

During yesterday's Fighting Talk on Five Live, one of the guests said that McClaren is well aware of the dashed hopes and disappointment of the entire nation when England get knocked out at a major championships.

To avoid such anguish during Euro 2008, he's decided it's better not to qualify at all.

Many a true word said in jest? ;)

Edited by Modi

Hello pot, meet Kettle :blink:

As long as they have the passport who cares

It doesn't stop any other sport doing it

Edited by neekoy

Some of them were certainly not born in France although most grew up there and came through the French system

I read an article somewhere (ages ago) about the French system. I think it was gerrard houlier who helped set up an elite 'skills' project with alot of up & coming French kids. Some of France`s top pro came from there.

Maybe the FA should hire Houlier & ask him to set-up something similar? :huh: